[comp.sys.mac] Error-free File Transfer?

r_ellison@hpfcdq.HP.COM (Bob Ellison) (06/25/88)

I'm having a little trouble getting stuff downloaded.

The host machine I'm using is a UNIX machine receiving notes.  The destination
is a remote (very remote -- long distance phone call) Macintosh.  Very often
I get errors when trying to download BinHex files.  The files are fine
on the UNIX side, but they sometimes lose bits across the phone line.  And
if I'm downloading large packages, it'll take a while to try again!

Does anyone have a better method?  Such as a protocol that can be run from
both ends to assure reasonably accurate file transfer?  (Does anyone have
ftp ported to the Mac?)

papillo the frustrated
Bob Ellison, HP Fort Collins

macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) (07/06/88)

In article <5670002@hpfcdq.HP.COM> r_ellison@hpfcdq.HP.COM (Bob Ellison) writes:
>I'm having a little trouble getting stuff downloaded.
>
>The host machine I'm using is a UNIX machine receiving notes.  The destination
>is a remote (very remote -- long distance phone call) Macintosh.

I think you should try Kermit. This transfer protocol has been implemented
on most mainframes and operating systems, including UNIX and the
Macintosh OS. It is public domain and its sources are
available from many sites. Although it's not the fastest protocol I know,
we use it every day for the above reasons.

-- Danny
| Mail   :   Danny Schwendener, ETH Macintosh Support Center            |
|            Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, CH-8092 Zuerich     |
| Bitnet :   macman@czheth5a      UUCP   :   {cernvax,mcvax}ethz!macman |
| Ean    :   macman@ifi.ethz.ch   Voice  :   yodel three times          |

halff@nprdc.arpa (Henry Halff) (07/07/88)

In article <5670002@hpfcdq.HP.COM> r_ellison@hpfcdq.HP.COM (Bob Ellison) writes:
>I'm having a little trouble getting stuff downloaded.
>
>The host machine I'm using is a UNIX machine receiving notes.  The destination
>is a remote (very remote -- long distance phone call) Macintosh.
>
>Does anyone have a better method?  Such as a protocol that can be run from
>both ends to assure reasonably accurate file transfer?

Your safest bet probably is kermit.  It's slow but its remarkably
robust.

hh