[comp.sys.mac] ST-506 to SCSI controller info want

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (06/24/88)

So why doesn't some enterprising engineering company make a ST-506 -
to - SCSI drive controller?  Would it simply be too slow?  If it were
cheap (< $200), you sure could make a load of money very very very
fast....

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801      PHONE: 217-244-0432
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,ihnp4,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

bobbyd@upvax.UUCP (Oswald Brews) (06/26/88)

In article <76000240@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>So why doesn't some enterprising engineering company make a ST-506 -
>to - SCSI drive controller?  Would it simply be too slow?  If it were
>cheap (< $200), you sure could make a load of money very very very
>fast....
>
>Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
>1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801      PHONE: 217-244-0432
>ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,ihnp4,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

Adaptec makes 3 versions, two of which I'm familiar with:

	ACB-4000A	SCSI->ST412/506 MFM		~$100
	ACB-4070	SCSI->ST412/506 2,7 RLL		(A slight bit more)
	ACB-5500	SCSI->ST412/506 (Multitasking)	(No $ idea)

I've used the 4000A and 4070 boards with Maxtor XT1140's with no problems on
DG Nova compatible machines.  Maybe we've been lucky, but the environment
was rather punishing - HEAVY disk access nearly 24-hours/day for over three
years, with very little downtime.  In fact, the only disk related troubles
we've had have been power supply related.  We've pushed those 1140's way
beyond their rated service life, and both the drives and the Adaptec boards
haven't given us a peep of trouble.  We bought the 4000A new several years
ago for $109, and the 4070 for $139.  Performance has been uniformly good.

I've no experience with the 5500, but sales literature from Adaptec explains
that it's a multitasking version with full SCSI command set.  No idea on
cost for this board.

Call or write to Adaptec for a very informative packet:

	Adaptec, Inc.
	580 Cottonwood Drive
	Milipitas, CA 95035
	(408) 432-8600

Disclaimer:  I am in no way affiliated with Adaptec or Maxtor, other than as
an impressed and satisfied customer.  In fact, I'm just a lowly DG Nova
hacker and am not even affiliated with the U. of Portland, except as a very
grateful gratis user!

Christopher Lamb	bobbyd@upvax	Certified, Incorrigible PERQ Fanatic.
2719 NE 8th Ave.			Send your tax-deductible donations to
Portland, OR 97212	503/288-3800	this address. No live poultry please.

davely@mcrware.UUCP (Dave Lyons) (06/28/88)

In article <76000240@p.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> So why doesn't some enterprising engineering company make a ST-506 -
> to - SCSI drive controller?  Would it simply be too slow?  If it were
> cheap (< $200), you sure could make a load of money very very very
> fast....

	If what you're talking about is a controller that talks to an
ST-506 drive on one side and talks SCSI out the other, there are
quite a few.  We've used ones from Scientific Microsystems, Adaptec
and Xybec around here.  I'm not sure how these would work on the
Mac.  I think you would have to modify the SCSI driver since these
controllers need to be told about the kind of drive they're working
with whereas the imbeded kind common on Mac's already know but I'm
sure they could be made to work.

Dave Lyons  				...!sun!mcrware!davely

I have an opinion but Microware doesn't want anything to do with it.

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (06/30/88)

First, let me thank everyone that sent me information on SCSI-ST506
interfaces.  I didn't know so many of these "pieces" of a finished
system were out there.  Unfortunately, I asked the wrong rhetorical
question -- I am already happy with my 80Mb hard disk.

The rhetorical question I REALLY wanted to ask was: Why doesn't some
enterprising Macintosh hardware company make the following box
including:

1.  case & power supply (shrunken PC perhaps?)
2.  space for 1 or 2 hard disk drives to be bolted down.
3.  SCSI-ST506/ST406 conversion board.
4.  Macintosh disk driver software on 3.5 floppies, tailored for this
    SCSI interface.

Cost: $200 or less?

Then, people could purchase any PC drive they wanted and connect it to
the macintosh.  Currently, Macintosh disk drive price competition is
weak.  This product might really fire up competition and reduce hard
disk prices.

gingold@endor.harvard.edu (David Gingold) (06/30/88)

In article <76000240@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>So why doesn't some enterprising engineering company make a ST-506 -
>to - SCSI drive controller?

Adaptec makes such a board.  I have one; it's great.  The ACB4000A is
a ST506 to SCSI, and the 4070 board supports RLL drives.  I use the 4000A
with a 10 Meg drive; I'm certain that the drive is far slower than the board.

I bought the board from Computer Surplus for $89, and another $8 for the
manual.

I have also heard that there is an Adaptec board which has been optomised for
Macintosh use.

If there is enough interest, I'd be happy to post a long description of the
process of building your own hard drive for the mac.  It works out to be a
good bargain if you can get a good deal on a drive.  The drives used are
ST506 compatable, the standard used with IBM PCs.

-david gingold
gingold@endor.harvard.edu, or whatever address scheme floats your boat.

ossian1@pnet06.cts.com (James A. Von Schmacht) (07/03/88)

Hmmm...here is something for you to ponder:  Any suggestions on drivers for a
Micropolis 1378?

Jim von Schmacht
Ossian Productions

disclaimer: It's good to be the King.

UUCP: {crash uunet}!pnet06!ossian1
ARPA: crash!pnet06!ossian1@nosc.mil
INET: ossian1@pnet06.cts.com

alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (07/05/88)

In article <76000244@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
|The rhetorical question I REALLY wanted to ask was: Why doesn't some
|enterprising Macintosh hardware company make the following box
|including:
|
|1.  case & power supply (shrunken PC perhaps?)
|2.  space for 1 or 2 hard disk drives to be bolted down.
|3.  SCSI-ST506/ST406 conversion board.
|4.  Macintosh disk driver software on 3.5 floppies, tailored for this
|    SCSI interface.
|
|Cost: $200 or less?

MicroNet, the new company started by Charles McConathy, sells such kits.
They are made for SCSI drives, not ST-506, but they are low-cost and come
with UNIVERSAL power supplies, just like the SE and Mac II.

I haven't bought any of their stuff yet, but I will. Charles is the guy
who made CMS such a good Mac drive manufacturer, and I expect even better
stuff from his own company.
--
Alexis Rosen                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Writing from                       {bellcore,harpo,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!alexis

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (07/07/88)

A company already does, but you have to buy the fist HD and then you have the
option of buying the second one.  They are MassMicro Systems.  Their number
is 1-800-522-7979 or outside the U.S. it is 408-522-1200.  You can give them a
call for more info. and pricing.

Mark Cookson