[comp.sys.mac] soundmaste vs. Apple Sndmanager

avalon@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Scott A. McIntyre) (06/15/88)

Before I got the most recent system (6.1 & 6.0) I was using the posted
SoundMaster CDEV to do my system Beep.  After I got the new system, I decided
to give the Apple Sound manager a try...Well, I converted my favorite
system sound from SoundEdit format into a .snd resource with a program
found on Sumex.

All worked ok...as a matter of fact, no big but.  EXCEPT...when I am on
unix and get multiple beeps, say a "write Bomb" which causes three
rapid beeps, the Apple Sound Manager will execute each inidividual beep,
wait for it to finish, then go on to the next...SoundMaster would start
with the first, realize there is a second, start that immediately, realize
the third, and well, you get the idea.

Is there a way in which I can change the apple program to act the way tht
sound master does?  I dont like having to run both of them at the same time
just so I can have a system beep...

(By the end of summer i should have a mcII, till then, my sehd20 will
suffice).

Scott

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
		avalon@ssyx.ucsc.edu		ARPA/Internet \
		         or		 	               > Me!
		avalon@ucsck.BITNET 	   	    Bitnet    /
    "Hey, when you can't trust your basic Pulse Rifle when hunting down a
                  Xenomorph, what's the Universe coming to?"

buzz@kinetics.UUCP (Mahboud Zabetian) (06/22/88)

Why did Apple decide to go with Synchronous sounds instead of Asynchronous
sounds?

I like way that SoundMaster beeps do not stop the progress of the application,
nor do they queue up(beeps start before the previos one finishes, preventing
unbearable delays).

Anyone know if Apple plans to change this?

-Mahboud
---
Mahboud Zabetian
Kinetics, Inc.
2500 Camino Diablo Blvd.,  Walnut Creek, CA 94596

jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (J. Chris Cooley) (07/07/88)

In article <603@kinetics.UUCP>, buzz@kinetics.UUCP (Mahboud Zabetian) writes:

> Why did Apple decide to go with Synchronous sounds instead of Asynchronous
> sounds?
>
> I like way that SoundMaster beeps do not stop the progress of the application,
> nor do they queue up (beeps start before the previos one finishes, preventing
> unbearable delays).

[I'm not religious, but:]  AMEN!  This is the first thing I noticed after
installing Sys Rel 6.0 on the SE.  Gone (for now...?) are the days of
making my voice "beeps" "rap."  >sniff!<

> Anyone know if Apple plans to change this?

As Roger Rabbit might say, "PPPPlease, Apple?!?"

> -Mahboud
> ---
> Mahboud Zabetian
> Kinetics, Inc.
> 2500 Camino Diablo Blvd.,  Walnut Creek, CA 94596

					--chris

--
J. Chris Cooley                         |     husc6! -\
Computation. Center (COM 1)             |      im4u! -->-ut-sally!ut-emx!jcc

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (07/08/88)

In article <3949@ut-emx.UUCP> jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (J. Chris Cooley) writes:
|In article <603@kinetics.UUCP|, buzz@kinetics.UUCP (Mahboud Zabetian) writes:
|| Why did Apple decide to go with Synchronous sounds instead of Asynchronous
|| sounds?
|
|[I'm not religious, but:]  AMEN!  This is the first thing I noticed after
|installing Sys Rel 6.0 on the SE.  Gone (for now...?) are the days of
|making my voice "beeps" "rap."  |sniff!<

I too, would like to encourage Apple to change the sysbeep to be async
instead of its present sync mode.  What's the use of sampling all these
wonderful beep sounds if the sysbeep takes forever and locks up the machine
during the beeps.

Last summer I had a chance to talk to someone at Apple, and he remarked that
the snd beep sound (then only on the Mac II) was made synch so that the user
wouldn't get confused with beep sounds getting out of synch with alert
boxes, etc.

I would like to suggest that this line of thinking is plain wrong!  Consider
that the sysbeep offered by the Sound Manager has a fixed duration - the
length of the sample.  Before the Sound Manager, the sysbeep call allowed
one to choose the length of the beep.  Most application developers decided
to use very short beeps, and therefore had them repeated.  Today, (or since
last March if you've got a Mac II), many beep sounds are long, and listening
to a series of two or three beeps is anoying if they each must be completed
before the next one starts.  Not to mention this take alot of _time_.

In the worse possible case, consider the plight of someone using a terminal
emulator on noisy phone lines.  If your host sends out BEL signals when it
receives nonsense, and if your beepsound isn't trivially short, then you can
be stuck with alot of beeps which must be completed before you can do
anything else, and which might take a long time.

I believe that the "rapping" model which Cheapbeep exhibits, combined with
asynch operation is the correct way for the beep sounds to operate.  What do
you think?

Christopher Chow
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow          |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-607-272-8014   Address: 107 Catherine St, Ithaca NY 14850    |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |