[comp.sys.mac] high res RGB monitor defect?

aries@water.waterloo.edu (Peter Bumbulis) (06/21/88)

The Mac II I'm using has a faint but unsightly horizontal line the width of the
screen about 3/4's of the way down the screen.  After a quick check of the other
Mac II's around here it appears that this occurs on all the high res RGB
monitors (but none of the mono monitors.)  Is this a feature of the high res
monitors or did we just luck into a bad batch of monitors and/or colour cards?
Thanks in advance,

Peter

robiner@ganelon.usc.edu (Steve) (06/24/88)

In article <1651@water.waterloo.edu> aries@water.waterloo.edu (Peter Bumbulis) writes:
>The Mac II I'm using has a faint but unsightly horizontal line the width of the
>screen about 3/4's of the way down the screen.  After a quick check of the other
>Mac II's around here it appears that this occurs on all the high res RGB
>monitors (but none of the mono monitors.)  Is this a feature of the high res
>monitors or did we just luck into a bad batch of monitors and/or colour cards?
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Peter

All the Mac II RGB monitors I've ever seen have this problem.  What the
hell is it?  Anyone from apple out there listening?

I'm not sure if its a coincidence, but the line looks like its just about
the position where the Plus/SE screen would end if you superimposed it
on the Mac II.   It appears under all conditions, even at the start of
boot up, so I would guess its a hardware design flaw of some kind.

=Steve=

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (06/24/88)

SHEEESH!  I wish Apple would document this "FEATURE" of their
trinitron monitors.  As if people wouldn't notice!  What an insult!
This is the 7,000,000th time this question has reappeared.  It should
be on page #1 of the AppleColor monitor guide.  We could save a lot of
network traffice!!!!!!

The line is perfectly normal on ALL trinitron color monitors (e.g. all
AppleColor monitors; all Sony televisions).  There is a guy wire
inside the picture tube that helps to stabilize the shadow mask.  This
guy wire passes in front of the electron gun.  Show it casts a light
shadow on the surface of the monitor.

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801      PHONE: 217-244-0432
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,ihnp4,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (06/24/88)

	It's not a defect, it is not a bad video card. Because of the
way the Sony Trinitron system works (a fine grid of wires instead of a
shadow mask), a thin horizontal stabilizer is used to hold this
grid in place.

Rich

Rich Siegel
Quality Assurance Technician
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: singer@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!singer
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

rtb@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Todd) (06/24/88)

In article <1651@water.waterloo.edu>, aries@water.waterloo.edu (Peter Bumbulis) writes:
> The Mac II I'm using has a faint but unsightly horizontal line the width of the
> screen about 3/4's of the way down the screen.  After a quick check of the other

Mine has that too. I thought it might be some kind of developers aid because
the area above the line is almost the same size as the original mac screen.

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) (06/24/88)

]
]I'm not sure if its a coincidence, but the line looks like its just about
]the position where the Plus/SE screen would end if you superimposed it
]on the Mac II.   It appears under all conditions, even at the start of
]boot up, so I would guess its a hardware design flaw of some kind.
]
]=Steve=

The line you see has nothing to do with Macs, or computers, at all.  It is
an idiosynchracy of Sony Trinitron CRT's.  Check it out for yourself...go
to your local Circuit City, Fedco, or other department store/home entertain-
ment center and look at the Sony televisions.  The line is there.

DISCLAIMER:  I am not affiliated with any department store, or Sony Corp.
	     (BTW, I like Sony Trinitrons...I've learned to ignore the line.)

		    UCLA Computer Science Department
   -- Larry         3413 Boelter Hall   Los Angeles 90024  (213) 825-2145
	 Prince     UUCP:    {ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!prince
		    ARPAnet:  prince@CS.UCLA.EDU

dixon@hercules.steinmetz (Walter V. Dixon) (06/25/88)

The line referred to is not a defect.  It is inherent in the design
of the monitor.  It is most noticeable against a white background.

macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) (06/26/88)

In article <13841@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> prince@maui.UUCP (Larry Prince) writes:
>In article <10076@oberon.USC.EDU> robiner@ganelon.usc.edu (Steve) writes:

(Several lines deleted.)

>The line you see has nothing to do with Macs, or computers, at all.  It is
>an idiosynchracy of Sony Trinitron CRT's.  Check it out for yourself...go
>to your local Circuit City, Fedco, or other department store/home entertain-
>ment center and look at the Sony televisions.  The line is there.
(Several lines deleted.)

An interesting sidelight to this:

Apple, in its infinite wisdom, has turned the Sony Trinitron monitor _upside
down_ as compared to its orientation when you buy a Sony television set with a
Trinitron monitor in it.  I suppose this is because Apple thought the thin
black line would be less obtrusive if it were 2/3rds of the way from the top
of the monitor rather than nearer the top of the monitor (where most users
likely spend more time looking).

So, if you go looking for the thin line on a Sony Trinitron TV, don't expect
to see it near the bottom of the screen like on the Apple monitor.  You will
find the line instead near the top, about 1/3rd of the way down.

Jim

--

Jim -->  macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak)  {Standard disclaimer, nothin' fancy!}

robiner@ganelon.usc.edu (Steve) (06/28/88)

 V. Dixon) writes:
>The line referred to is not a defect.  It is inherent in the design
>of the monitor.  It is most noticeable against a white background.

Just becuase its inherent in the design doesn't mean it isn't a defect.

The defect's in their design!

=Steve=

athos@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Joe Di Lellio) (06/28/88)

That little line on your monitor screen is a support wire.
Apple SCREAMED at Sony when they saw it, but apparently
there's not much can be done about it.  Anyone have a SuperMac
screen?  Does it have a *$@&%^! support wire?

Disclaimer 1:  Apple doesn't even know I exist.
Disclaimer 2:  I am using this account as a guest of Joseph
               DiLellio.  He has no idea of what I'm saying.

Lee Michelle Thompson
athos@ssyx.ucsc.edu        "I'm not really bad; I'm just drawn that way"
ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!athos                          --Jessica Rabbit

jdm@ut-emx.UUCP (Jim Meiss) (07/08/88)

	My 19" Trinitron from SuperMac has not one, but two (yes count 'em, two)
such lines, one about 1/4 way from the top, and the other about 1/4 of the way
from the bottom.
	I think they are unsightly too, and even put in a call to supermac tech support wondering what was going on....

				Jim Meiss
		 		jdm@emx.utexas.edu
				jdm%uta.MFENET@nmfecc.ARPA