[comp.sys.mac] FKEY to blow away the finder - what's it for?

) (07/09/88)

Hi,

  I finally put together the A9F4 FKEY to perform an ExitToShell.  What
  I'd like to know is "what's it good for?".  People have been saying that
  it can be used under MultiFinder to blow away the Finder, thus giving
  more free memory, but how does this work?  If all applications have
  been loaded, blowing away the Finder doesn't help, and if they have not, it
  still doesn't help, because then how does the application get loaded?
  QuicKeys launch doesn't work without the Finder, it appears.

  I suppose (he rambles), that one could load into the DA layer one of those
  random desk accessories that launches programs, then blow away the Finder,
  and launch the applications from the DA layer.  Am I on the right track?

  Thanks for any insight.

Confused,

Rich

palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu (David Palmer) (07/09/88)

In article <8807081621.AA09328@decwrl.dec.com> long@rainbo.dec.com (Now HE will ask the questions!) writes:
>Hi,
>
>  I finally put together the A9F4 FKEY to perform an ExitToShell.  What
>  I'd like to know is "what's it good for?".  People have been saying that
>  it can be used under MultiFinder to blow away the Finder, thus giving
>  more free memory, but how does this work?  If all applications have
>  been loaded, blowing away the Finder doesn't help, and if they have not, it
>  still doesn't help, because then how does the application get loaded?

Some programs launch other programs under Multifinder, most notably
Lightspeed C version 3.0.  You have to get rid of the finder (and change
SIZE resources) to allow LSC3.0 to sublaunch the source-level debugger
if you have only 1 Mb of memory.

		David Palmer
		palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu
		...rutgers!cit-vax!tybalt.caltech.edu!palmer
				"Walt sent me"