[comp.sys.mac] Liaison

msurlich@immd1.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Matthias Urlichs ) (07/07/88)

I saw an extremely buggy development version lying around at the Expo in
Amsterdam.
Basically, what it does is to put an AppleTalk bridge into the Mac,
connecting to the outer world wiht the Modem port. No hardware needed
(except if you want to connect via phone). Does not preempt the modem port
(your terminal programs still work normally), implements access security
(something no other product does), et al.
Will be a very interesting and useable product once it is finished.
--
Matthias Urlichs     CompuServe: 72437,1357  Delphi: URLICHS
Rainwiesenweg 9      Phone: +49+911-574180

martyl@bucket.UUCP (Marty Lee) (07/10/88)

In article <438@faui44.informatik.uni-erlangen.de>, msurlich@immd1.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Matthias Urlichs ) writes:

> I saw an extremely buggy development version lying around at the Expo in
> Amsterdam.
> Basically, what it does is to put an AppleTalk bridge into the Mac,
> connecting to the outer world wiht the Modem port. No hardware needed
> (except if you want to connect via phone). Does not preempt the modem port
> (your terminal programs still work normally), implements access security
> (something no other product does), et al.
> Will be a very interesting and useable product once it is finished.
> --

I called Infocom, makers of Liaison, today to see why the product has not
shipped yet.  When I talked to them in May they said sometime in June.  When
I talked to them yesterday they said they just added more features and it
will ship in August....maybe the first week.  Unknown to me a workgroup
in my building one floor up have been Beta testing the product.......
they like it but a 1200 baud modem is a VERY slow way to go.  They say a
9.6KB, 19.2KB or 56KB line is the ONLY way to go.  (Imagine do a 1M file
transfer at 1200 baud!!!!)

              teksce           (Fastest path)
tektronix!reed!  omen   !bucket!martyl  (Marty Lee)
               percival