[comp.sys.mac] Does a mac+ need an internal 800K drive?

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (07/09/88)

In article <59264@sun.uucp>, chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
> > ...is using a Mac+ board in a 512K Mac with 400k drive *ONLY* possible?...

> (you don't *NEED* it but you'd *WANT* it; compatibility problem; yech!)
> Not only doesn't my System folder fit on an 800k floppy anymore,
> much less a 400K, few of my programs would fit on it these days....

while I agree with Chuq that "life is intolerable enough", the remark that
he lets his System-file grow makes me wonder if that is a wise way to go?!

Assuming that Suitcase (or work-alike) is reasonably stable in your
configuration of hardware and software, and that you can keep Fonts, DAs,
and FKeys in separate files/folders - I'd prefer to keep my System as small as
possible.... or am I overlooking something?   I've always kept a set of 400k
disks handy, filled with the latest, to help out the "underpriviledged" ..(-:
and, YES, I have a 400k-Boot-disk with OS Version 6.0 .... I haven't tried
it, I admit, but using a RAMdisk-creating StartUp-application gets me up and
running (I expect) with the 2Meg RAM I'd rather have than an 800k drive...

Here is how I'd go about it.  On your 400k Boot disk put the following:

System (minimum Fonts and DAs) - remove unnecessary resources.
RamStart+ (or similar) - make that the StartUp to create RAMdisk and eject
	floppy after copying OS to RAM and continuing execution from there.
SuitCase - to enable dynamic loading of DAs, Fonts, Fkeys.
other-INITs - INITs must be loaded at Boot-time!!
MiniFinder or SkipFinder or similar alternative -

most other stuff (including CDEVs) can be loaded to the RAMdisk from floppy
later;  INITs *HAVE TO BE* available when booting the Mac!!!

I probably forgot to mention a few things and made some assumptions which
may not be correct - but then I admit not having had the time to try out
what works with 6.0 from a 400k floppy and what doesn't;  but with 2Meg or
more of RAM, I'm confident that it is possible to get many of the HUGE
applications even (Hypercard et al) to an executable state - not that I'd
want to have to do it, you understand, but .... most applications are not
that large, anyway.  Besides, I seem to remember that I once used a Mac512
souped up to 4Meg RAM and dual 680x0, 400k floppy and, sometimes, a hard
disk connected to the serial port ...... or was that a BAD DREAM?  it
seemed quite wonderful then, especially, with a recoverable RAMdisk ....and
not having to COLD-boot very often ....

		Cheers,		---Wermer

				"Well, yes, I suppose it's possible ....
				   but that doesn't mean anyone should
				     ever have to live it .............!!!"

send Email to:    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)
		  .....!ut-sally!rascal.ics.utexas.edu!werner
should RASCAL be ill:   werner@astro.as.utexas.edu  or werner@utastro.UUCP)

ossian1@pnet06.cts.com (James A. Von Schmacht) (07/10/88)

Yes...and the correct 128k roms on the motherboard.  You'll need a new back as
well, to accomodate the changes in prt configurations.
jim von schmacht

UUCP: {crash uunet}!pnet06!ossian1
ARPA: crash!pnet06!ossian1@nosc.mil
INET: ossian1@pnet06.cts.com