[comp.sys.mac] Sound Digitizers for IBM-PCs?

mdc@mcp.entity.com (Marty Connor) (07/11/88)

I am looking for a sound digitizer for IBM-PCs.  I am currently
recording sounds quite nicely on the Macintosh using a digitizer from
Impulse Inc.  It comes with a digitizer box and software to allow
recording, playback and editing of sounds.

For the PC, I am hoping for something like:

  - A card that plugs into an IBM-PC and allows recording and playback
    of sounds from either a microphone or audio input.

  - Drivers for the card which will allow access from C or Pascal.

  - Recording time of at least one minute at 8K samples/sec.

  - A sound editing program that lets one cut and paste sounds and
    do transformations (amplify, reverse, smooth) on sounds.

  - I would like the files from this device to be easy to manipulate:
    i.e. 8 bit signed amplitudes, rather than CVSD or some highly
    encoded format.

  - It would also be nice if it worked under SCO Xenix, but that is
    not critical at this point.

If you have seen such a device or anything like it, please drop me a
line.

All leads gratefully accepted, and I will summarize responses for the
interested.

Thanks.
--
----------------
Marty Connor

hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison) (07/11/88)

In article <180@mcp.entity.com> mdc@mcp.entity.com (Marty Connor) writes:
>I am looking for a sound digitizer for IBM-PCs.
>
>For the PC, I am hoping for something like:
>
>  - A card that plugs into an IBM-PC and allows recording and playback
>    of sounds from either a microphone or audio input.
>
>  - Drivers for the card which will allow access from C or Pascal.

I strongly recommend that anyone looking into this technology for PC check
out the Watson Board, from Natural MicroSystems (Natick, MA).  They have
an excellent, inexpensive product, which outperforms some much more
expensive boards.  The board has digitization from 12kbs to 32kbs, an
option VAR interface for MS-C, Lattice-C, a resident driver for interfaces
from other languages.

I've developed an Ethernet server for this board fairly quickly with their
help.  Overall, I'm very impressed with the product.  If you want to get
in touch with them, call (617)-655-0700 and ask for Bob Panov.  After July
15th, the area code changes to 508.