[comp.sys.mac] 512KE->2meg+SCSI owners "officially" stranded?

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (07/11/88)

In article <13548@apple.Apple.COM> dgold@apple.apple.com.UUCP (David Goldsmith) writes:
>In article <460@esquire.UUCP> sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) writes:
>>	1) Does System 6.0 work on a 512KE with 3rd-party memory
>>	   and SCSI upgrades?
>>
>>	2) Is it *supposed* to work, or is it just chance (i.e., has Apple
>>	   *officially* dropped support for anything less than a Mac Plus)?
>>

>System Tools 6.0 supports the Macintosh Plus, Macintosh SE, and Macintosh II.
>
>The current recommended system for the Macintosh 512KE is System 3.2,
>Finder 5.3.  You can attempt to use a later version, of course, but
>Apple makes no guarantees that it will work, especially if your machine
>has third party hardware upgrades.
>
>David Goldsmith                                           Apple Computer, Inc.
>AppleLink: GOLDSMITH1    BIX: dgoldsmith        20525 Mariani Avenue, MS: 27AJ
>UUCP: {nsc,dual,sun,voder,ucbvax!mtxinu}!apple!dgold       Cupertino, CA 95014
>CSNET: dgold@apple.apple.com

Well I don't see what "3rd party hardware upgrades" have to do with
it.  I mean, I don't have to have APPLE memory in my Mac, do I?

The point of all this is that some of us old-timers (512KE owners who
have subsequently upgraded their machines to 2megs+SCSI for far less
than the official Apple upgrade) are concerned that Apple is no longer
supporting us.

What we would like is a *definitive* answer from someone at Apple.  If
what you are saying is true, and that only the Mac Plus and above are
being supported, we'd like to know why.  Memory limitations I can
understand; I never expected to be able to run MultiFinder or all the
future Apple System Software in 512K -- that's why I upgraded.

So why are we effectively stranded?  While you guys "officially"
support something like the Mac Plus, which differs from my upgraded
512KE by only a couple of bytes of parameter RAM (but has only HALF as
much memory)?

I don't want to "attempt to use" a System that won't officially run on
my machine; however, if I'm going to forgo all future System Software
upgrades, I'd like (at least) to know why.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."