[comp.sys.mac] Humpback Game

kriss@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (R M Kriss) (06/25/88)

After reading all of the net mail on the Humpback Game, I wish I had
Downloaded it. Sure would appreciate a copy via E-Mail.

Thanks
Dick Kriss
kriss@austin.lockheed.com

erik@hpsadla.HP (Erik Kilk) (07/01/88)

I suggest not running HumpBack.  Look how many of us ran the program
without knowing what it does or how it works or even if anyone has
ever got it to work.  Will this turn out to be another virus?  Will
all of us who have run it develop some new computer disease in a few
months?

In these days of viruses, if this is a joke, it's not funny.  I
wouldn't encourage such postings because one day one of these types
of innocent looking programs will spit in our face, not through an eye
of a needle.

Erik Kilk

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) (07/03/88)

In article <2290021@hpsadla.HP> erik@hpsadla.HP (Erik Kilk) writes:

>I suggest not running HumpBack.  Look how many of us ran the program
>without knowing what it does or how it works or even if anyone has
>ever got it to work.  Will this turn out to be another virus?  Will
>all of us who have run it develop some new computer disease in a few
>months?

It was posted to comp.binaries.mac which, I am pretty sure, means that it
was checked out by the moderator.  I think it is safe to say the moderator
runs a quick check of all programs to see if it is infected, nothing bad has
been posted yet.

>In these days of viruses, if this is a joke, it's not funny.  I
>wouldn't encourage such postings because one day one of these types
>of innocent looking programs will spit in our face, not through an eye
>of a needle.

Oh please, let's all stop jumping at shadows.  Someone writes a silly joke
program and people start getting virus panic.  It's a joke program.  Why
does everything have to be a threat?
You make it sound like "Don't cross the street, you might get hit by a
truck."  Relax, look both ways, and stick the camel through the needle, if
you can.

>Erik Kilk

-Andy

Andy J. Williams '90   |Ack Systems: ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu|   _   /|
Software Development   +--------------------------------------+   \`o_O' ACK!
Kiewit Computation Ctr |Hello. Set $NAME='Iinigo Montoya' You |     ( )  /
Dartmouth College      |kill -9 my process.  Prepare to vi.   |      U

benjamin_kuo@pedro.UUCP (Benjamin Kuo) (07/06/88)

Again I post:--> PLAY WITH THIS GAME FOR 3 HOURS.

Wait for the dialog box that says (to this effect) "April Fools!"

!!!!

wille@hpccc.HP.COM (Ross Wille) (07/12/88)

/ hpccc:comp.sys.mac / larryha@tekig5.TEK.COM (Larry Hattery) / 11:02 am  Jul  7, 1988 /
>>Okay okay. Humpback is a joke, right? Right?
>
>Try decrypting the cairo font message at the bottom of the documentation.
>
>--
>Larry E. Hattery                        Tektronix Inc.
>larryha@penguin.PEN.TEK.COM             M/S 47-704
>Portable Instruments Division           PO Box 500
>(503)627-1225 days                      Beaverton, OR 97077

But the person who wrote the documentation didn't write the
program, right?  Maybe the documentation is the "joke!  :-)