[comp.sys.mac] MacDraw II,MacPlot Configure

ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) (07/08/88)

I seem to have a problem with MacPlot Configure that comes with
MacDraw II.  It tells me I need to choose MacPlot Drvier with the
chooser before I can configure it. The stupid thing is that MacPlot
Driver is in my system file and I HAVE chosen it with the chooser!
MacPlot Configure throws up the chooser for you to choose MacPlot
Driver, but even after you do (and even if you had done so before),
MacPlot Configure refuses realise it is the chosen driver. This can be
seen to be the chosen driver by trying to print with MacDraw.

Can anyone shed some light on whats going on here?  Thanks, Ralph

kateley@Apple.COM (Jim Kateley) (07/10/88)

In article <465@cf-cm.UUCP> ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) writes:
>I seem to have a problem with MacPlot Configure that comes with
>MacDraw II.  It tells me I need to choose MacPlot Drvier with the
>chooser before I can configure it. The stupid thing is that MacPlot
>Driver is in my system file and I HAVE chosen it with the chooser!
>MacPlot Configure throws up the chooser for you to choose MacPlot
>Driver, but even after you do (and even if you had done so before),
>MacPlot Configure refuses realise it is the chosen driver. This can be
>seen to be the chosen driver by trying to print with MacDraw.

I had the same problem, I called Claris and they said that the driver
has a bug in it.  They have a revised driver, and you can get it by
calling them at (408) 962-0371 and asking for the new one.

I found a more serious problem with the driver.  I chose it and
tried to configure it, and it failed as described above.  I re-chose my
Laserwriter driver, with background printing on.  The problem is, all my
spool files show up in the system folder, not the spool folder!  If I
move the spool files into the spool folder, printmonitor will not print
them, it comes up with an error.  It appears the Macplot driver damages
the system file, printmonitor application, and the Laserwriter driver.
I was able to get background printing working again by re-installing
the system, and replacing printmonitor and the Laserwriter drivers.  I
was using version 1.1 of the MacPlot driver.  I am waiting for the
new MacPlot driver to see if this has been fixed.  I am using system
6.0.

Jim Kateley          UUCP: {sun, voder, nsc, mtxinu, dual}!apple!kateley
S,P,HnS!             DOMAIN: kateley@apple.COM  Applelink: kateley1
Disclaimer:   What I say, think, or smell does not reflect any policy or
	      stray thought by Apple Computer, Inc.

skip@claris.UUCP (Brian Schipper) (07/11/88)

In article <13633@apple.Apple.COM> kateley@apple.apple.com.UUCP (Jim Kateley) writes:
>I had the same problem, I called Claris and they said that the driver
>has a bug in it.  They have a revised driver, and you can get it by
>calling them at (408) 962-0371 and asking for the new one.

Oops, wrong area code.  The number is (415) 962-0371.

--
UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!skip   Applelink: SCHIPPER1
Arpanet: claris!skip@ames.arc.nasa.gov            Phone: 415-960-2618

wille@hpccc.HP.COM (Ross Wille) (07/12/88)

The original driver corrupts your system so laser printing won't
work anymore, and you can't configure it for different plotters.

The new (revised) driver now lets you configure for different
plotters, but blows away background printing.

I have tried replacing the Backgrounder and the printer drivers,
but that doesn't fix the problem.  The only fix I've found so
far is to re-install System 6.0 from the distribution disks.

Good job Claris!

Ross Wille - Hewlett Packard
(wille@hplabs)