this differ from Coral's Common LISP?

From: flash@ee.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan)
or_perhaps_Reply_to: flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk

holland@mips.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (07/10/88)

In article <533@sequent.cs.qmc.ac.uk> sheridan@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk writes:
>What's the street price or educational price for Coral Common LISP for the
>Mac?  Mac Today (May 9, p 9) notes Pearl LISP from Coral for $100.  How does
>this differ from Coral's Common LISP?

They don't sell it on the street! :)  I don't think the discounts are as low
as for other software packages.  List is $600.  ComputerWare advertised $542
in MacTutor.  Educational is $300.  Sorry, I don't know the exact differences
between Allegro and Pearl but, I heard hat Pearl is a *good* subset of Allegro.
You can call Coral toll-free:  800/521-1027.

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
holland%ti-csl@csnet-rela

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.

sg@linus.UUCP (Stuart Goldkind) (07/12/88)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: How much for Coral LISP for the Macintosh?
In article <533@sequent.cs.qmc.ac.uk> sheridan@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk writes:
>or_perhaps_Reply_to: flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk
>
>What's the street price or educational price for Coral Common LISP for the
>Mac?  Mac Today (May 9, p 9) notes Pearl LISP from Coral for $100.  How does
>this differ from Coral's Common LISP?
>
>From: flash@ee.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan)
>or_perhaps_Reply_to: flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk

     Last I heard Coral was giving 1/2 off for educational use.
I don't have the current list price on Allegro Common Lisp, but
highly recommend Pearl which now lists at $175.00 US.

     Pearl is almost a subset of Allegro (i.e. there are very
minor differences between it and some subset of Allegro).
More than adequate for real Lisping.  Both Pearl and Allegro give you
the closest thing to the Symbolics Lisp Machine on a PC that I know
of.  They are both truely excellent products.

     Pearl lets you generate stand alone applications --- no fee.  The
only real complaint I have is that FRED (their) Emacs-like editor is
not programmable (the Allegro version is).  Both programs give
reasonable access to the Toolbox.

     My only relationship to Coral is that of customer.
     These opinions have nothing to do with my employer
       (as far as I know).