[comp.sys.mac] Finding out about the MultiFinder partition size of an application

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (07/11/88)

  [ follow-ups to this article go to comp.sys.mac ONLY ]

When MultiFinder is not running, GetInfo won't tell you the recommended or
Default Size of an Application;

When MultiFinder is running and the application is in use, GetInfo won't
tell you about it either.

Gee, I wonder why .....and "in whose ear do I have to bend" to get this fixed??

		((-:   well, actually:    ))-:
send Email to:    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)
		  .....!ut-sally!rascal.ics.utexas.edu!werner
should RASCAL be ill:   werner@astro.as.utexas.edu  or werner@utastro.UUCP)

goldman@Apple.COM (Phil Goldman) (07/11/88)

In article <2879@utastro.UUCP> werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:

>  [ follow-ups to this article go to comp.sys.mac ONLY ]
>
>When MultiFinder is not running, GetInfo won't tell you the recommended or
>Default Size of an Application;
>
>When MultiFinder is running and the application is in use, GetInfo won't
>tell you about it either.

If the application is running under MF then the sizes are shown, but they
cannot be edited.  These numbers are stored in the application's SIZE
resource in its resource fork.  This cannot be modified while the application
itself might possibly possibly do so.  Unfortunately, the resource manager does
not support locking on a grain smaller than the entire fork.

As for the first problem, this can be solved by always running MF.

-Phil Goldman
Apple Computer

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (07/12/88)

In article <13689@apple.Apple.COM>, goldman@Apple.COM (Phil Goldman) writes:
> In article <2879@utastro.UUCP> werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:

<<When MultiFinder is not running, GetInfo won't tell you the ... SIZES...
> ... this can be solved by always running MF.

well, thanks a lot - when are the memory prices coming down?  (-:

<<When MultiFinder is running and the application is in use, GetInfo won't
<<tell you about it either.
> If the application is running under MF then the sizes are shown, but they
> cannot be edited.

well, either we are not talking about the same thing, or you are wrong.
the GetInfo window does NOT SHOW the memory sizes of a running application.

I just verified this and will send you a screen-dump on request.

I am running VersaTerm-3.10 at this minute, so I went to the Finder-DeskTop,
did a GetInfo on VersaTerm - it says the Memory sizes ar N/A.  Then I did a
COPY of VersaTerm and did a GetInfo on that, and the memory sizes of
Copy of VersaTerm shows as 284k and 300k, respectively ...

Maybe this version of VersaTerm doesn't have the latest new-fangled format
of SIZE-resources or something ??!!.... but I believe that other applications
show the same behavior ...

Maybe you were thinking of the Finder-About-window showing the size of the
partition the application is using?  Maybe the reason why it shows N/A is that
it was impossible to display a value in the GetInfo-window and still
prevent the user from modifying it?  or, maybe, it's a subtle way of telling
the user that he can't change those values while running the application ?!
well, dimming the field would have achieved that trick quite well also ...

> These numbers are stored in the application's SIZE
> resource in its resource fork.  This cannot be modified while the application
> itself might possibly do so.  Unfortunately, the resource manager does
> not support locking on a grain smaller than the entire fork.

this is "too deep" for me and I don't quite understand its relevance ...