[comp.sys.mac] Font Editing

fang@dukempd.UUCP (Fang Zhong) (07/09/88)

	The Plank constant "h" divided by 2*pi is called "h-bar". This letter
appears very frequently in our papers. I have not found it in any available
fonts. The option+h in the times font is a upper dot, I use ResEdit to change
it into "h-bar". It appears ok in a MacWrite file. But it goes back to the
original upper dot when it is printed. This might be due to the fact that LW
has its own time font stored. So I did the same on times-roman, hoping the
bit-map might work. It does not.
	When I used ResEdit, I selected FONT, changed the fat bit pattern.
	Can someone point out a way to do this?
	What is the current version of FontEditor? The one I have is 1.0A. It
bombs when I double click w/o command+shift.
	Thanks for any help in advance.

cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) (07/12/88)

In article <696@dukempd.UUCP> fang@dukempd.UUCP (Fang Zhong) writes:

>	The Plank constant "h" divided by 2*pi is called "h-bar". This letter
>appears very frequently in our papers. I have not found it in any available
>fonts. The option+h in the times font is a upper dot, I use ResEdit to change
>it into "h-bar". It appears ok in a MacWrite file. But it goes back to the
>original upper dot when it is printed. This might be due to the fact that LW
>has its own time font stored. So I did the same on times-roman, hoping the
>bit-map might work. It does not.
>	When I used ResEdit, I selected FONT, changed the fat bit pattern.
>	Can someone point out a way to do this?
>	What is the current version of FontEditor? The one I have is 1.0A. It
>bombs when I double click w/o command+shift.
>	Thanks for any help in advance.

The only ways you can do this by editing a font would be either to by a
product such as Fontographer, which lets you edit postscript fonts, or to
create a bitmaped font, named different from any of the postscript fonts,
and settle for lower resolution on the LaserWriter.  (Though if you edit
12, 24 and 48 point versions of Times, calling them TimesTwo, for
instance, the documents you print w/ these fonts at 12 point will use the
48 point version at 288 dots per inch rather than the 24 at 144 dpi or
the 12 at 72 dpi.

Alternatively, you can get a word processor such as Word or (I'd expect)
Full Write Pro (someone is bound to correct me if FWP can't do this) and
use the features that allow characters to be 'piled up' one on top of
another.  Option-4 or Option-6, from the Symbol font, slightly
subscripted, and placed on top of an h will give you the character you
want and let you print it out at the full resolution of any postscript
printer you want to use.

Below I'll describe the basic procedure for doing this in Word 3.02 in a
quick and easy manner--one that allows touch-typing and saves headaches,
and makes sure that all of the h-bars (or whatever) are the same.

1.	Type your entire paper first, using a mnemonic--such as
	'h-bar' (excluding the quotes) in the above case--where you
	want that character to be.  Do any document formatting,
	spell-checking, etc. at this point, keeping in mind that
	the text h-bar will be replaced w/ such a character.  Save
	you document.

2.	Now, either at the end of the doc, or in another window,
	experiment with combining the characters you need to get
	the desired result.  For an h-bar you might type an h in
	Times font & then an option-4 in Symbol, select the opt-4
	and make it subscripted a point or 2, then select the h
	and make it Compressed enough points that the opt-4 is on
	top of the stem.  You could also use the formula
	formatting commands to place the subscripted Symbol-font-
	opt-4 on top of the Times-font h.  Get it just the way you
	like it, printing it out on the LaserWriter to see how it
	comes out.  Save it just in case.

3.	Select the character you made, and copy it into the
	Clipboard.  Now select Change from the menu.  In the Find
	What box put h-bar (or whatever you called it) and in the
	Change To box put a ^c (typing both characters).  This
	tells Word to replace the text w/ the contents of the
	Clipboard--your new character.  Now, if every occurance of
	the text 'h-bar' should get replaced w/ the new character,
	click on Change All.  (You'd probably want to have the
	Match Upper/Lower Case box checked, and maybe the Whole
	Word if you don't want to change the text 'h-bar' when it
	is embedded in another word.)

The only part of that that coud be considered difficult would be getting
the new character just right.  Changing the text takes less time than
describing how.

If you are curious, yes I have had to do this a couple of times.

Good luck,

-JimC
--
batcomputer!cloos@cornell.UUCP  |James H. Cloos, Jr.|#include <disclaimer.h>