[comp.sys.mac] Generating PostScript files

brewer@clio.las.uiuc.edu (07/10/88)

	To get a standard Mac application to create a postscript file, go to
print dialog as you normally would. Then click on the OK button, but as soon as
you do that, hold down Command-F. Keep it held down until the little dialog box
at the top of the screen says something like "Saving Postscript file." It will
be saved in a file called Postscript0, just like the way screen dumps are saved.

	If you want to have the LaserPrep header that is required to set up
some definitions that the postscript file uses, then substitute Command-K for
the Command-F above.

	Hope this helps.

Robert Brewer
    brewer@clio.las.uiuc.edu
    {ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!brewer

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (07/10/88)

--- Here is a reposting of the answer from last year.
> <18186@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA>, dgordon@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Dan Gordon)
> How do you dump postscript output from word 3.01 to a file rather
> than to the printer?

Assuming the case where you are using a mac with no Laserwriter,
no appletalk, just tell the mac using the control panel that you
have appletalk hooked up.  Then use the chooser to tell it that
you have a Laserwriter.  Next go into Word and paginate your
document again so it will work properly for a Laserwriter type
printer.  Then print the document, but as soon as you click
OK, press and hold command-f.  The mac should respond with
a dialog box claiming "Creating Postscript file".

Upon completion of this task there will be a file out there
called Postscript.  If you do it again the file will be overwritten
so it should probably be renamed.

Now, I've done this and uploaded the Postscript file to UNIX(tm)
and have not been able to make my QMS-PS800 print the file.
It looks and feels like Postscript but I'm concerned the
version the mac is generating is old.  I have not had the time
to research the problem but would be interested in any additions
to this people may have.

Also, I've been told that other people could not get the Laserwriter
to show up in the chooser.  I have a Plus with an HD20.  Possibly
the Laserwriter drivers came with the HD20 system stuff???

Oh well.

			Garrett Johnson

/* End of text from uiucdcsp:comp.sys.mac */
/* Written  1:46 am  Oct 25, 1987 by tdn@K.GP.CS.CMU.EDU in p:comp.sys.mac */

The PostScript that the Macintosh LaserWriter drivers generate makes
use of a few commands defined in the file "Laser Prep".  When printing
from a Mac, the "Laser Prep" file is downloaded automatically.

If I remember correctly, the LaserWriter driver provides two
keystrokes which you can use to capture PostScript output.  One is
COMMAND-F (as you describe) and the other is COMMAND-K.  I believe
that COMMAND-K is the one that creates PostScript files containing
both Laser Prep code and document-specific output.  So you might want
to try printing files created with COMMAND-K...

                                        -- Thomas Newton

/* End of text from uiucdcsp:comp.sys.mac */

engber@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Mike Engber) (07/11/88)

I see a lot of postings on this subject where the recommended solution is to
use command-k instead of command-f. I'd like to make one point: using command-k
adds a 30K header to your file. If you're uploading these files (like me) it is
wasteful to do this with every file.

What I did was use command-k on a simple picture, and stripped off the header
which I uploaded once. I generate subsequent postscript files with command-f
and cat on the header before printing with something like:
 cat mac.header file.ps | lpr

One note: when I initially created the header it didn't begin with the magic %!
so I had to add it myself.

Now I have one question, what potential problems am I in for by using a
header generated with one version of system software and postscritpt file
generated with a different version (so far I've had no problems)

-ME

sarrel@oboe.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) (07/11/88)

In article <17000114@clio> brewer@clio.las.uiuc.edu writes:
>	To get a standard Mac application to create a postscript file,
>go to print dialog as you normally would. Then click on the OK button,
>but as soon as you do that, hold down Command-F. Keep it held down
>until the little dialog box at the top of the screen says something
>like "Saving Postscript file." It will be saved in a file called
>Postscript0, just like the way screen dumps are saved.
>
>	If you want to have the LaserPrep header that is required to
>set up some definitions that the postscript file uses, then substitute
>Command-K for the Command-F above.

All of the above sounds reasonable, although I have another question.
I would like to then upload that postscript file from my mac to a unix
box (either a sun or a pyramid) and then dump it to a postscript
printer.  We have a DataProducts 308 and a LaserWriter+.  Which should
I use, Command-F or Command-K?  One of the operators (an undergrad)
here thought that I couldn't just dump the postscript to the printer.
He said there was some other stuff I had to prepend to the file in
order for things to work.Has anybody done this successfully?  What is
it that I have to prepend?

I want to do this to avoid having to bring pagemaker in on three
floppies and then spend 15 minutes swapping disks (they only have
single drive systems) just to print out my work.  (which brings up
another question:  do I have to do anything differently if I use the
Aldus Prep instead of the Laser Prep?)

advTHANKSance
--marc
-=-
 Marc Sarrel, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave., Columbus, OH USA 43210-1277
 sarrel@cis.ohio-state.edu
 "If you wanna have fun, go to Washington.  Spokane!"  -- Cleric Apton

tomwest@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Tom West) (07/11/88)

  I am willing to send two files containing instructions, header files
modified to allow their use on non Apple laser printers and a UNIX program
to select the appropriate header file given the PS file that any version
of laserwriter produces.

   The essential procedure is that
	1) User chooses a LaserWriter, (without having one attached).
	2) User hits clover-F after hitting Print button.  Mac tells
		 user that PS file is being produced
	3) User kermits PS file to our main system (older versions of Laser
		Writer occasionally created 8th bit high characters so eight
		bit transfer was sometimes necessary.)
	4) User converts all eighth bit high characters to octal equivalent.
	5) User uses macprint shell.  This looks at the PS file and prepends
		the appropriate header.

  We have a MV/10000 DG running AOS/VS (not Unix) with a QMS-800+ attached and
have no problems. With users generating PS files from a variety of Mac programs
such as MacWrite, Word, MacDraw, etc.  (Essentially anything that uses the
standard word drivers.)

  Note, this is a derivative work.  I'm just a user who put all the pieces
together.

  Warning: These files are rather large.  (85K/31K)  If only the modification
for the most recent header file to run on non Apple PS laser printers is
needed, please say so!  That file is only 1k long.

--
				Tom West

BITNET:         tomwest@utorgpu.bitnet, tomwest@gpu.utcs.utoronto
Internet:       tomwest@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
UUCP:           tomwest@utgpu

		utzoo, yetti, harpo, mnetor \
		cbosgd, deepthot, utoronto  -  !utgpu!tomwest
		ihnp4, lsuc, sfmin, vnr-vpa /

paul@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Paul Meyer) (07/12/88)

In article <1988Jul11.130348.22885@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> tomwest@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu.UUCP (Tom West) writes:

>  I am willing to send two files containing instructions, header files
>modified to allow their use on non Apple laser printers and a UNIX program
>to select the appropriate header file given the PS file that any version
>of laserwriter produces.
>				Tom West

	I would be definitely interested in getting these files.  I've made
several failed attempts at printing on the QMS PS 800 attached to our VAX.
Could you post them?  Or at least send me a copy?

Paul Meyer
(paul@caf.mit.edu)
Microsystems Technology Laboratory
MIT

olson@batcomputer.UUCP (07/12/88)

In article <17465@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> sarrel@oboe.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) writes:

>I would like to then upload that postscript file from my mac to a unix
>box (either a sun or a pyramid) and then dump it to a postscript
>printer.  We have a DataProducts 308 and a LaserWriter+.  Which should
>I use, Command-F or Command-K?  One of the operators (an undergrad)
>here thought that I couldn't just dump the postscript to the printer.
>He said there was some other stuff I had to prepend to the file in
>order for things to work.Has anybody done this successfully?  What is
>it that I have to prepend?

>another question:  do I have to do anything differently if I use the
>Aldus Prep instead of the Laser Prep?)
>
>--marc

There seem to be two things to be aware of when going mac->unix->laserwriter
1) Some of the "Postscript" that the Mac generates has 8 bits
   Many unix boxes only send 7bits to their printers
   Brian Powell wrote a filter that massages the 8bits in to nibbles
   and reassembles them once the reach the laserwriter.
2) The Mac Laser Prep likes to try to install itself "permanently"
   on the laser writer.  This is fine (even desirable) if you have
   only Mac's talking to  your Laserwriter, but can cause problems
   (less memory available at very least) if you are using the printer
   with nonMac sources.  A solution get a copy of the laser prep and
   modify it so that it does not install itself permenantly.

(Powell & Hitchens)'s solution was to get a copy of the laser prep, modify it
and store it on the unix box.  Then you use command-F on the mac
to dump postscript without the laser prep, send that up to the unix box
paste the modified header on, filter everything and send it to the LW.
The only hard part is needing all the various  different versions
of the laser prep.

So probably you will have to do something different for Aldus Prep.
Get (Powell & Hitchens)'s stuff.
brian@sally.utexas.edu
and try to figure out where he modified the apple Laser Prep
(say by diff'ing the preps that he supplies with one that you
generated using a command-K)
Dump the Aldus Prep using command-K
and make changes to it simmilar to those made to the apple prep
then use this modified aldus prep instead of the modified apple prep.

We have been using the stuff Powell put together for some time now
with now problems. (Thanks guys!)

Todd Olson
olson@helios.tn.cornell.edu

blknowle@uokmax.UUCP (Bradford L Knowles) (07/13/88)

In article <17465@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> sarrel@oboe.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) writes:
>All of the above sounds reasonable, although I have another question.
>I would like to then upload that postscript file from my mac to a unix
>box (either a sun or a pyramid) and then dump it to a postscript
>printer.  We have a DataProducts 308 and a LaserWriter+.  Which should
>I use, Command-F or Command-K?  One of the operators (an undergrad)
>here thought that I couldn't just dump the postscript to the printer.

For the first file, use command-K.  For all following files, use
command-F.  We use a program that automatically downloads the LaserPrep
file (if it is not there already) and then downloads the file proper, and
as such, we always use command-F because the LeserPrep file is always
there when we need it.  This is similar to having the system automatically
download the LaserPrep file to a just turned-on LaserWriter, but is not
quite as well automated.

>He said there was some other stuff I had to prepend to the file in
>order for things to work.Has anybody done this successfully?  What is
>it that I have to prepend?

LaserPrep is the file to be prepended, which as was stated can be
obviated by using Command-K for the first file to be printed.

>...                                              (which brings up
>another question:  do I have to do anything differently if I use the
>Aldus Prep instead of the Laser Prep?)

I have no experience with Aldus Prep, but I suspect it would work the
same.

>advTHANKSance
>--marc
>-=-
> Marc Sarrel, Department of Computer and Information Science
> The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave., Columbus, OH USA 43210-1277
> sarrel@cis.ohio-state.edu
> "If you wanna have fun, go to Washington.  Spokane!"  -- Cleric Apton

-Brad Knowles

UUCP: ...!ihnp4!occrsh!uokmax!blknowle     ARPA: blknowle@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
SNAIL: 1013 Mobile Circle
       Norman, OK  73071-2522

Disclaimer: (The above opinions are my own.  They have nothing to do with the
		Univeristy of Oklahoma nor intelligance of any sort. :-)