[comp.sys.mac] Mystery Disk Icon

g-golub@rocky.cs.wisc.edu.CS.WISC.EDU (Joshua Golub) (07/13/88)

---------
It all started when I upgraded to System 6.0. . . (sigh)
     Actually, the upgrade's fine, I haven't had many incompatibility
problems, but somewhere along the line an icon disappeared.  When there is
a floppy in the internal drive of my Mac II, it's desktop icon is not the
old standard diskette picture, but a front view of the Mac II with an arrow
pointing to the internal drive slot (the right one).
     What surprises me is that I can't find that particular icon in the
finder, all I can find is the old standard diskette icon.  Did apple somehow
localize the diskette icon to the Mac II?  What does an SE owner see?
     I'm running a 2MB Mac II with a CMS 140MB internal HD, system 6.0, and
usual gang of inits. (I can't find the icon in any inits either)  The hard
disk icon is that of a Mac II also, but it's always been that way, thanks
to the CMS driver.

     BTW: I'd definitely recommend CMS hard drives for the software and
aparrent reliability, as well as the price and speed, but their customer
relations are really, terribly bad.  The phone answerers know nothing, and
there are no phones in the lab(?!) so you can't talk to someone with a
functioning brain.  I had disk problems a while back, and the first time
the drive was sent back they returned it, claiming they couldn't find a
problem that was readily aparrent.  I sent it back again and called them
(over the course of three days, at my own expense) to make sure it was
really getting fixed, and probably wasted my time.  I finally succeded in
getting a phone-answerer to walk into the lab and ask them what was wrong,
all I got back was confirmation that they were shipping me a new drive.
Total down time -- 32 days.  (And they claim 48hr turnaround!!)  Flame off.

----------. . .
Signatures are for regular posters -- I don't want to be remembered.

g-golub@rocky.cs.wisc.edu.CS.WISC.EDU (Joshua Golub) (07/13/88)

>---------
>It all started when I upgraded to System 6.0. . . (sigh)
>     Actually, the upgrade's fine, I haven't had many incompatibility
>problems, but somewhere along the line an icon disappeared.  When there is
>a floppy in the internal drive of my Mac II, it's desktop icon is not the
>old standard diskette picture, but a front view of the Mac II with an arrow
>pointing to the internal drive slot (the right one).
>     What surprises me is that I can't find that particular icon in the
>finder, all I can find is the old standard diskette icon.  Did apple somehow
>localize the diskette icon to the Mac II?  What does an SE owner see?

    Why not reply to myself?  My thanks to Brian Bechtel from Apple for
providing the solution.  I had set the "Use Physical Icon" bit in the Finder's
LAYO resource.  Unsetting it returned to the old disk icon.  The icon comes
from the driver, which is why I couldn't find it.  So what DOES a SE owner
see?

---------. . .
I want to be remembered even less this time.

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (07/14/88)

>a floppy in the internal drive of my Mac II, it's desktop icon is not the
>old standard diskette picture, but a front view of the Mac II with an arrow
>pointing to the internal drive slot (the right one).
    In your LAYO resource in your finder the "Use physical icon" bit is
 checked. Hence it tells you the physical location of the disk. Personally I
 would probably prefer a disk with "top, bottom left or right" printed in the
label field of the mini disk icon, but I didn't make the finder...
>     What surprises me is that I can't find that particular icon in the
>finder, all I can find is the old standard diskette icon.  Did apple somehow
      Look in the ICN# resources not the ICON resources.

Pierce. Back in Black.
wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu     Race For Space Grand Prize Winner.
   Useless Advice #986: Never sit on a Tack.

cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) (07/14/88)

|---------. . .
|  want to be remembered even less this time.

On an SE the physical Icons are little SE's w/ arrows pointing to the top
or bottom drive--or so has been posted before.  I've yet to find out what
it looks like on a Plus, though.  Hey, What the hell, wait a few min while
I find my working sys 6.0 disk and try booting it on one of the macs here.

OK, OK so it was longer that a sec!  :-)

Anyway, this is what I found after I searched out a copy of ResEdit
recent enough to edit the LAYO resource easily:  It appears that
the MacPlus script has no distinct phys icons for the plus's internal
and external drives.  Oh well.

-JimC
--
batcomputer!cloos@cornell.UUCP  |James H. Cloos, Jr.|#include <disclaimer.h>