[comp.sys.mac] Write Protection for Fixed Disk...

fatino@wizdom.UUCP (Mike Fatino) (07/07/88)

Does anyone out there know where I could find some software to
write protect a hard drive in a MAC SE?  Or is there a trick in
the hardware to accomplish the same.  I would appreciate it much!

Thanks in advance,
Mike Fatino
      _______  ____________
     / _____/ /____   ____/             Mike Fatino
    / /___        /  /                  fatino@wizdom.UUCP
   /___  /       /  /                   uunet!wizdom!fatino
 _____/ /   ____/  /____
/______/   /___________/        Software Innovations Inc., Kansas City

Dis claim her:  Funny how that works!

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (07/08/88)

In article <121@wizdom.UUCP> fatino@wizdom.uucp (Mike Fatino) writes:
>Does anyone out there know where I could find some software to
>write protect a hard drive in a MAC SE?  Or is there a trick in
>the hardware to accomplish the same.  I would appreciate it much!

There's a DA called DiskLock that does what you want.  It lets you lock
and unlock unmountable volumes, and from what I've seen, it seems to
work correctly and not cause things to crash.

Of course, since there's no hardware write protection, I suppose an
errant program could still manage to write garbage to the disk, but the
DA should be effective otherwise.

I think I got it off of comp.binaries.mac a short time ago, so it may
be in the archives.  If not, let me know and I can mail it to those
who are interested.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

dwb@Apple.COM (David W. Berry) (07/08/88)

In article <121@wizdom.UUCP> fatino@wizdom.uucp (Mike Fatino) writes:
>Does anyone out there know where I could find some software to
>write protect a hard drive in a MAC SE?  Or is there a trick in
>the hardware to accomplish the same.  I would appreciate it much!
	If you are using an Apple hard drive, you can use HD Setup
to edit the partitions.  Choose "custom" partition and then select
the partition and "lock"  Note that this is a soft lock and doesn't
keep determined software from writing on it anyway.

>Thanks in advance,
>Mike Fatino
>      _______  ____________
>     / _____/ /____   ____/             Mike Fatino
>    / /___        /  /                  fatino@wizdom.UUCP
>   /___  /       /  /                   uunet!wizdom!fatino
> _____/ /   ____/  /____
>/______/   /___________/        Software Innovations Inc., Kansas City
>
>Dis claim her:  Funny how that works!

Opinions:  MINE, ALL MINE! (greedy evil chuckle)

David W. Berry
apple!dwb@sun.com	dwb@apple.com	973-5168@408.MaBell

dm2w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas Bradley Meade) (07/15/88)

In a previous message Stephen Baumgarten writes that DiskLock was recently
posted on comp.binaries.mac.  I am unable to locate this utility from CMU.
Would someone please send me a copy at  dm2w@andrew.cmu.edu

Thanks in advance,

Doug Meade
dm2w@andrew.cmu.edu