[comp.sys.mac] CAD for Architect ???

mm3d+@andrew.cmu.edu (Matt McNally) (06/23/88)

A friend of mine has asked me to look into general CAD systems for
his small architecture firm.  Yes, his request was indeed that general.

I often see various mentionings of CAD packages in the Macish'
magazines, but very little actual information about the specific programs;
most packages seem to be more *mechanically* oriented.

If you have used any of the current CAD systems, or know of any that
are coming out, I would greatly appreciate any information (specs or
anecdotal) about the various systems.  I'm not sure of the features he
is looking for, but I'll review the posts I receive with him and post a
summary of the information to the net.

Any information you could send would be very helpful; also, does any
information about plotters, or 'large scale rendering' devices (30"X42")
would be great.

Please send your info to:  mm3d@andrew.cmu.edu.

Thanks in advance,

matt

blknowle@uokmax.UUCP (Bradford L Knowles) (06/24/88)

In article <8WjzyPy00W0GABU04R@andrew.cmu.edu> mm3d+@andrew.cmu.edu (Matt McNally) writes:
>A friend of mine has asked me to look into general CAD systems for
>his small architecture firm.  Yes, his request was indeed that general.
>
>I often see various mentionings of CAD packages in the Macish'
>magazines, but very little actual information about the specific programs;
>most packages seem to be more *mechanically* oriented.

[stuff deleted]

>Any information you could send would be very helpful; also, does any
>information about plotters, or 'large scale rendering' devices (30"X42")
>would be great.
>
>Please send your info to:  mm3d@andrew.cmu.edu.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>matt

The best thing I can say is look in the July issue of MacUser magazine.
They rate ALL of the available (at the time) CAD packages for the Mac,
along with some related programs.

If you can give me a USNAIL mailing address, I'll send you a BIG envelope
I got when I was looking into CAD packages on the Mac for my father.
You can then send in the "more information, please" letter and get even
more info than I can send you.  If you can't give me a USNAIL address,
I guess I can EMAIL you a personally typed transcript, but I'd rather
not (if I can avoid it).

BTW, I posted this because there might be others interested in this
subject -- so don't bitch at me for posting something that you feel I
should have EMAIL'ed.

-Brad Knowles

UUCP: ...!ihnp4!occrsh!uokmax!blknowle     ARPA: blknowle@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
SNAIL: 1013 Mobile Circle
       Norman, OK  73071-2522
Philosophy of Boris Yeltsin: "If one wants to be unemployed, one will
	criticize ones' boss.  If one wants to be sent to Siberia, one
	will criticize the wife of ones' boss."
Disclaimer: (The above opinions are my own.  They have nothing to do with the
		Univeristy of Oklahoma nor intelligance of any sort. :-)

roger_warren_tang@cup.portal.com (06/24/88)

	I'd also be interested in CAD program summaries.  I'm looking into
programs for set design and prop design and thought a CAD program would be
workable.  Any suggestions here?

	By the way, did anyone ever come up with programs for lighting and
design on the Mac?

Richard_Vernon_Ford@cup.portal.com (07/15/88)

The CAD/CAM Journal for the Macintosh, a bi-monthly periodical has reviewed
most of the major CAD packages currently available for the Macintosh.  I
haven't used any personally.  I just subscribe to the Magazine.

-Richard