[comp.sys.mac] Map CDev

6029334@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Robert G. Trevor) (06/30/88)

In article <52653@ti-csl.CSNET>, martin@home.csc.ti.com (Steven Martin) writes:

>Also, here is a strange trick.  Turn CloseView on.  Go into the
>Control Panel and open the MAP cdev.  Now turn CloseView off (with the
>keystroke, not the Control Panel).  You will notice that you now have
>a zoomed in view of the map that stays zoomed as you look around.  Is
>that documented or just a bizarre (and useful) bug?
>
>Steve Martin            USENET: {ctvax,im4u,texsun,rice}!ti-csl!martin
>                        GENIE: S.MARTIN8    PHONE: (214)-995-5919, 404-1061

Not a bug, just a back door...try opening the Map CDev with the option
key held down and/or hitting the find button with the option key held
down.  The first gives you the zoomed display, the second scrolls
through the cities that are currently defined (you can, of course,
define your own).

If you like back doors, try cmd-I in SCSI SetUp;  it allows you to
change the interleaf factor on your (Apple) drive.  Needless to say,
*don't* do this on an unbacked-up drive!

Rob Trevor
MaBell: (609) 452-4051
Bitnet: 6029334@PUCC
UseNet: 6029334@PUCC.Princeton.Edu

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (07/01/88)

>In article <52653@ti-csl.CSNET>, martin@home.csc.ti.com (Steven Martin) writes:
>...try opening the Map CDev with the option
>key held down and/or hitting the find button with the option key held
>down.  The first gives you the zoomed display, the second scrolls
>through the cities that are currently defined (you can, of course,
>define your own).

Another option on the Map cdev is that you can open it with the shift and
option keys held down to get a closer view!

Is there a way to find the closest city to a mouse click? I never can click
in the exact pixel.

Mark Interrante   		Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
The sky clenched, a mountain of mud convulsed, earth and sky bellowed at each
other, there was a horrible pinkness, a sudden greenness, a lingering
orangeness that strained the clouds, and then the light sank and the night at
last was deeply, hideously dark. --- Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (07/01/88)

I suspect the algorithm for calculating the time-zone is too simplistic
as it doesn't coincide with reality;  I suspect that it's simply assuming that
every 15 degrees longitude the next time-zone starts ...

for example, if you select Paris, you find that the time zone is correctly
indicated as +1 hour to GMT, but if you click just next to it, you find that
anywhere to 7'30" you get GMT, and at 7'31" you get +1 hour ...

does anyone know a way to exchange and import data into the MAP?  I'd like to
educate the country about Texas.... (-:

In article <2835@utastro.UUCP> werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:

>I suspect the algorithm for calculating the time-zone is too simplistic
>as it doesn't coincide with reality;  I suspect that it's simply assuming that
>every 15 degrees longitude the next time-zone starts ...

>does anyone know a way to exchange and import data into the MAP?  I'd like to
>educate the country about Texas.... (-:

I agree! The time zone data had Dallas in the Eastern time zone
when in reality parts of Florida are west enough to be in the central time
zone (I always told people Dallas was not IN Texas :))

Houston (the 7th largest metro area) didnt even rate inclusion!

BTW there should be a zoom button/bar in the cdev to control the map scale
instead of the option-open trick.

Mark Interrante   		Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
The sky clenched, a mountain of mud convulsed, earth and sky bellowed at each
other, there was a horrible pinkness, a sudden greenness, a lingering
orangeness that strained the clouds, and then the light sank and the night at
last was deeply, hideously dark. --- Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

buzz@kinetics.UUCP (Mahboud Zabetian) (07/02/88)

Also, you may want to try clover-shift, or clover-option-shift.  It magnifies
the pixels on the Map.

wrs@Apple.COM (Walter Smith) (07/02/88)

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>...martin@home.csc.ti.com (Steven Martin) writes:
>>...try opening the Map CDev with the option key held down...
>>[to get a zoomed-in view of the map]
>
>Another option on the Map cdev is that you can open it with the shift and
>option keys held down to get a closer view!

Well, just to be complete, open Map with shift, option, and command down.
You get the extra-close view of a shift-option open combined with big
blinking squares in place of the little blinking pixels.  You still have
to click in the exact center of a square to hit a city, though.

I'm not sure if this is a *feature*, but it certainly is a *behavior*.

- Walt
--
Walter Smith	    Apple Computer	wrs@apple.com, ..!sun!apple!wrs
		    Special Projects	(408) 973-5892

brewer@clio.las.uiuc.edu (07/02/88)

	After brief experimentation, I have found that these keys do something
if you hold them down when you open the Map cdev.

	Shift : first level of magnification
	Option : second level of magnification
	Shift-Option : highest level of maginification
	Command : with any of the above, cities are magnified to about 4 by 4
pixels wide. Apparently (I'm not sure) it doesn't magnify the place you click
on, i.e. Its still hard to click them.

	Is any of this stuff documented? Does someone have the docs for System
6.0, and do they say anything useful about Map or anything else that would be
helpful to us poor people who can't afford $50 bucks for a slick manual?

	(Did anyone else notice the guy's name appears when you click on the
version number? Or the smiley face that appears when you click on the monitors
version number? Or the smiley :) that appears when you click on the Mac in the
SCSI Tools cdev?)

Robert Brewer
    brewer@clio.las.uiuc.edu
    {ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!brewer

thecloud@pnet06.cts.com (Ken Mcleod) (07/02/88)

mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) writes:
>Is there a way to find the closest city to a mouse click? I never can click
>in the exact pixel.

[oops-- we're talking about the Map cdev here, of course]

You don't need to "hunt and click" for cities. Just click and hold the mouse
button down. If you're not already on a "city pixel," just move the pointer
around (with the mouse button held down) until you hit one. Its name will
be displayed in the editText box.

Ken McLeod =========================     .......     ======================
UUCP: {crash uunet}!pnet06!thecloud     :.     .:    Chief Weapons of UNIX:
ARPA: crash!pnet06!thecloud@nosc.mil   :::.. ..:::   "Fear, surprise, and
INET: thecloud@pnet06.cts.com             ////        ruthless efficiency."

mls@whutt.UUCP (SIEMON) (07/04/88)

In article <2835@utastro.UUCP>, werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:

> does anyone know a way to exchange and import data into the MAP?  I'd like to
> educate the country about Texas.... (-:

The manual gives full details on adding and modifying data in the map.
The only bit that seems silly is that to change information on an entry
you have to "remove" it (the data remains present on the screen) and THEN
edit the contents and "add" it back in to the database.  The manual also
acknowledges that the timezone calculated from longitude is only a guess
and that real world modification may well be necessary.  Don't kvetch.
They don't even bother to list Omaha -- why should they care about Texas?
:-)
--
Michael L. Siemon
contracted to AT&T Bell Laboratories

ted@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ted Jardine) (07/06/88)

In article <3449@whutt.UUCP>, mls@whutt.UUCP (SIEMON) writes:
> > ... does anyone know a way to exchange and import data into the MAP?  I'd
> > like to educate the country about Texas.... (-:
>
> The manual gives full details on adding and modifying data in the map.  ...
> Michael L. Siemon

Anyone have a clue as to how one gets a 'manual' for System 6.0?  Not only did
my very friendly dealer permit me to copy the four disks onto my own set, he
indicated that no documentation was available.  Is this true?  Or is there a
different path for documentation.

I've had very good success with 6.0 on my Mac II -  only had to throw away a
couple of games and one or two DAs, plus removing Quickergraf.

--
TJ {With Amazing Grace} The Piper
aka Ted Jardine  CFI-ASME/I

tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) (07/11/88)

In article <17000113@clio> brewer@clio.las.uiuc.edu writes:
>	(Did anyone else notice the guy's name appears when you click on the
>version number? Or the smiley face that appears when you click on the monitors
>version number? Or the smiley :) that appears when you click on the Mac in the
>SCSI Tools cdev?)

Yes, but then again, I know all these people. :-)

							_emt

melnik@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ofer Melnik) (07/14/88)

Here's something:

Try holding Command & Option while you pick "About Multi-Finder"

Cute, eh?

[----------------------------------------+----------------------------------]
[Ofer Melnik -- Rutgers University       ! "If its not in the computer,     ]
[               melnik@topaz.rutgers.edu !  it doesn't exist."              ]

prw@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Paul R. Wenker) (07/15/88)

In article <Jul.13.19.53.47.1988.7562@topaz.rutgers.edu> melnik@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ofer Melnik) writes:

>Here's something:
>
>Try holding Command & Option while you pick "About Multi-Finder"

The release version of MultiFinder has several things editted out.
Does anybody have the original text from some of the pre-release
versions?

-Paul Wenker			prw@meccsd
-MECC, Technical Services