[comp.sys.mac] NSF Proposal Tools

jhm@cs.cmu.edu (Jim Morris) (07/05/88)

As part of the NSF-sponsored EXPRES project we have created some tools for
producing NSF proposals that you may find useful. There is a program that will
produce all the standard NSF forms in PostScript. These forms look nicer than a
typewriter would produce and can be incorporated into PostScript produced by
other systems. With a little work you can produce complete proposals in
PostScript and transmit them electronically. The software is written in C, has
been tested under Berkeley UNIX, and runs on IBM RT's, SUNS, and VAXes. We have
Scribe and TEX templates that incorporate those forms into a complete proposal.
If you are interested in getting copies of the software please reply to

James.Morris@cs.cmu.edu
or
Chao-Ping.Yang@andrew.cmu.edu

halff@nprdc.arpa (Henry Halff) (07/07/88)

In article <kWoDJGy00hl=AJOmsf@cs.cmu.edu> jhm@cs.cmu.edu (Jim Morris) writes:
>As part of the NSF-sponsored EXPRES project we have created some tools for
>producing NSF proposals that you may find useful. There is a program that will
>produce all the standard NSF forms in PostScript.
>The software
>runs on IBM RT's, SUNS, and VAXes.

Aha--now, with a $10K computer and a $5K printer, I can produce what
could be done formerly with a $150 second-hand typewriter.  But you
know what they say, "If the forms look good, then the science has GOT
to be good."

hh (former proposal reader)

baer@Jessica.stanford.edu (Paul Baer) (07/16/88)

In article <610@arctic.nprdc.arpa> halff@nprdc.arpa (Henry Halff) writes:
>Aha--now, with a $10K computer and a $5K printer, I can produce what
>could be done formerly with a $150 second-hand typewriter.  But you
>know what they say, "If the forms look good, then the science has GOT
>to be good."

...suggests an aphorism for the modern era:

"Nothing is so simple it can't be done with a computer."

--paul baer

If this isn't original, it's not.

...do I have to have a disclaimer?