[comp.sys.mac] Comp.binaries.mac moderation

fry@huma1.HARVARD.EDU (David Fry) (07/12/88)

Flame on

	I have been wondering lately about the selection of files that
the  moderator of comp.binaries.mac, Roger Long, sends across the
net.  But today I  saw the worst yet: is it really necessary to
distribute a Perfectionist DA that  does nothing but change the
file attributes of TEXT files so they can be opened  more simply
with Word Perfect?  How many of us have Word Perfect, and how many
of those are transferring files from a PC often enough to warrant
such a program,  which does something that can be done with Word
Perfect itself.

	Comp.binaries.mac has become the place for multi-part game
postings (many  of which have bugs), Humpback jokes, sound
gadgets, and huge multi-part  commercial demos.  I'm still
bothered by the Design Demo posted months ago.  I'm  not
acquainted enough with the USENET hierarchy to compute the cost of
the  Humpback fiasco, including the subsequent "is it a joke,
yeah, it's a joke"  debate, but I bet it would have bought
somebody quite a few Macintoshes.

	Lately some of the programs coming across have even been
accompanied by  apologies from their authors who are sorry they
aren't more important.  If the  programmer himself says "sorry it
doesn't do anything more yet" why are we  interested in seeing it?

	I think of comp.binaries.mac as existing to dispense interesting
and  useful programs to USENET users, programs which demonstrate a
new technique or  an unusual idea.  It would be particularly nice
if they have a scientific or  educational bent to them, since
USENET goes to so many universities.  I can  certainly understand
if the author of Perfectionist wanted to write his DA as a  simple
exercise, or as a tool to do something special just for him, or
just  because it was fun.  I write little programs all the time
for those reasons.   But it is the moderator's job to weed them
out.

	At least we could expect source code for such little programs.
There's  no reason to comment more on the source code drought,
though.  The weather  analogy in "drought" is appropriate, too:
everyone complains but nobody does  anything about it.

	I can remember several programs from comp.binaries.mac that
represent the  philosophy I have in mind.  1) A French prime
factorization program was posted  over a year ago that
implemented sophisticated techniques that I have never  seen on
a micro before.  Admittedly it is useful to a limited number of
people,  but it was state-of-the-art stuff. 2) MEdit was a free
and ambitious text editor  from Europe that included a macro
language, the first Mac editor to have one.   3) The P.S.B.U.
program posted recently to do hard disk backups, using a
scripting language.  These programs were different from what you
see on  CompuServe, extended what was currently available, and
were written for  (apparently) altruistic reasons.

	The moderator may respond that nobody submits those type of
programs any  more.  I don't know what others are doing, but I
have posted several versions of  my GrayView program (including
the latest which has ImageStudio-like editing  features) and my
DispPICT HyperCard XCMD that displays color images inside
HyperCard.  I don't mean to suggest these are special, but I don't
understand  why they wouldn't be interesting to USENETers; they
are completely free and do  things you can't do otherwise.  I
humbily submitted them, but they never  appeared.

	I don't mean to attack Mr. Long personally, I'm just more and
more  distressed at seeing "Part 3 of 8 GoofyMacGame".  Perhaps
this message will  inspire more careful posting, or inspire more
creative programming.  I also  don't mean to attack the author of
Perfectionist; it was just that DA that set me off.

Flame Off

David Fry                               fry@huma1.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics               fry@huma1.bitnet
Harvard University                      ...!harvard!huma1!fry
Cambridge, MA  02138

mcnabb@m.cs.uiuc.edu (07/12/88)

I beg to differ with at least a portion of the flame alleging
uselessness of recent postings in comp.binaries.mac.

The Perfectionist DA would be quite useful to many more people if it
allowed one to specify the type/creator fields explicitly.  Even better,
before beginning the process of allowing selection of text files for
adoption by a different appl, it should allow one to choose any favorite
application that can handle text files.  It should then look in that
application to find the proper type and creator fields to use, and then
start the adoption process (i.e. user should not even have to know the
magic strings for his/her application).

So here's another request to the author of this (perhaps quite useful
after all) DA to post the source.

        D. McNabb
        Department of Computer Science
        mcnabb@cs.uiuc.edu
        ...!{cmcl2,seismo,uunet}!uiucdcs!mcnabb

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (07/12/88)

In article <4927@husc6.harvard.edu> David Fry (fry@huma1.UUCP) flames:
|	I have been wondering lately about the selection of files that
|the  moderator of comp.binaries.mac, Roger Long, sends across the
|net.  But today I  saw the worst yet: is it really necessary to
|distribute a Perfectionist DA that  does nothing but change the
|file attributes of TEXT files so they can be opened  more simply
|with Word Perfect?  How many of us have Word Perfect, and how many
|of those are transferring files from a PC often enough to warrant
|such a program,  which does something that can be done with Word
|Perfect itself.

My job as moderator is not to decide what is important enough to post.
I leave that to the people who post software.  What I *do* do is try to
check out as much of the software as I can to verify that it at least
runs to some extent; verify as best I can that its not copyrighted, or
if it is, that permission is given to post; to package it in UseNet
sized chunks; and to post to the net at a rate to keep the volume at
"reasonable" levels.  The only time rating of the software occasionally
comes into play is when something I deem of some importance gets
posted, I'll often move it to the top of the queue.

Certainly, I don't expect all of what I post to be exciting and interesting
to everyone on the net.

|	Lately some of the programs coming across have even been
|accompanied by  apologies from their authors who are sorry they
|aren't more important.  If the  programmer himself says "sorry it
|doesn't do anything more yet" why are we  interested in seeing it?

If it's of no interest to you, hit the 'n' key.

|	I think of comp.binaries.mac as existing to dispense interesting
|and  useful programs to USENET users, programs which demonstrate a
|new technique or  an unusual idea.  It would be particularly nice
|if they have a scientific or  educational bent to them, since
|USENET goes to so many universities.  I can  certainly understand
|if the author of Perfectionist wanted to write his DA as a  simple
|exercise, or as a tool to do something special just for him, or
|just  because it was fun.  I write little programs all the time
|for those reasons.   But it is the moderator's job to weed them
|out.

No, it's specifically *NOT* the moderator's job to weed out "uninteresting"
software.  One of the top concerns of people when mod.mac.binaries was
created was that moderation would remove software that they considered
useful.

|	At least we could expect source code for such little programs.
|There's  no reason to comment more on the source code drought,
|though.  The weather  analogy in "drought" is appropriate, too:
|everyone complains but nobody does  anything about it.

Post source.

|	I can remember several programs from comp.binaries.mac that
|represent the  philosophy I have in mind.  1) A French prime
|factorization program was posted  over a year ago that
|implemented sophisticated techniques that I have never  seen on
|a micro before.  Admittedly it is useful to a limited number of
|people,  but it was state-of-the-art stuff. 2) MEdit was a free
|and ambitious text editor  from Europe that included a macro
|language, the first Mac editor to have one.   3) The P.S.B.U.
|program posted recently to do hard disk backups, using a
|scripting language.  These programs were different from what you
|see on  CompuServe, extended what was currently available, and
|were written for  (apparently) altruistic reasons.

I'm sure that there are plenty of people on the net who'd tell you
that these programs were of absolutely no interest to them, and that
I shouldn't have posted them.

|	The moderator may respond that nobody submits those type of
|programs any  more.

Since I post what I receive, you can deduce that nobody submits those
types of programs any more.

|		      I don't know what others are doing, but I
|have posted several versions of  my GrayView program (including
|the latest which has ImageStudio-like editing  features) and my
|DispPICT HyperCard XCMD that displays color images inside
|HyperCard.  I don't mean to suggest these are special, but I don't
|understand  why they wouldn't be interesting to USENETers; they
|are completely free and do  things you can't do otherwise.  I
|humbily submitted them, but they never  appeared.

Well, if you didn't see them posted, then you should have sent me mail
and asked why.  I would have responded that your postings hadn't made
it here, and requested you repost, or mail them directly to me, and
suggested several possible mail routes.  I see no need to flame me,
since I do the best I can, on a totally volunteer basis.

--
	Roger L. Long
	dhw68k!bytebug

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (07/13/88)

>more  distressed at seeing "Part 3 of 8 GoofyMacGame".  Perhaps

Can you please send me "Part 3 of 8 GoofyMacGame"? It didn't show up
on my site. :-) :-) :-)

Seriouly, maybe the only sort of software which gets sent to
comp.binaries.mac is goofy, and so that's all that there is
to distribute.

-Ted

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (07/13/88)

In article <8400013@m.cs.uiuc.edu> mcnabb@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>The Perfectionist DA would be quite useful to many more people if it
>allowed one to specify the type/creator fields explicitly.

Even better would be if someone posted the program "Lone Ranger" (that
might not be the exact name, but it's close).  It allows you to search
and replace any type and/or creator for a whole directory of files at a
time.  I think it works recursively, too, so I suppose you could with 1
click change all the Tops files on your disk to WordPerfect (or
whatever the original intention of Perfectionist was).

In fact, if I can find it on my HD at home, I'll post it to
comp.binaries.mac tonight.  BTW, if anyone from CE Software is
listening, I always thought that DiskTop should do this (since it does
pretty much everything else).

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

paulm@nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) (07/14/88)

In article <4927@husc6.harvard.edu> fry@huma1.UUCP (David Fry) writes:
#
#Flame on
#
#	I have been wondering lately about the selection of files that
#the  moderator of comp.binaries.mac, Roger Long, sends across the
#net.  But today I  saw the worst yet: is it really necessary to
#distribute a Perfectionist DA that  does nothing but change the
#file attributes of TEXT files so they can be opened  more simply
#with Word Perfect?  How many of us have Word Perfect, and how many
#of those are transferring files from a PC often enough to warrant
#such a program,  which does something that can be done with Word
#Perfect itself.
#David Fry                               fry@huma1.harvard.EDU

I'm by no means offended by your remarks. I'm inclined to agree with
you in a general sense. But I agree mostly with the moderator that he should
do nothing but act as an intermediary. If the description of a posting
does not appeal to me, I fail to hit the 'w' key. A simple 'n' will
do the trick and does not get me into a rage like Perfectionist obviously
did to you.

As to posting the source: i really hacked this DA. I just needed the
functionality of the beast, because colleagues of mine, first time Macintosh
users, hated to be othered by changing file type and creator. So it did
no more than just that. Sorry that I offended you by posting it, but
the remarks my colleagues uttered gave me the idea that maybe one or two
other people in the world (I _do_ think there are one or two people
using both Tops and Word Perfect :) might find it useful. And exactly
the kind of people that don't even know type and creator exist.

People who responded to me by mail (I did reach those one or two ;)
will receive the source and as a part of a learning project I'll try
and enhance the program.
        Paul Molenaar

	"Just checking the walls"
		- Basil Fawlty -
--
        Paul Molenaar

	"Just checking the walls"
		- Basil Fawlty -

osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP (07/14/88)

[Roger Long, moderator of comp.sys.mac, replies to David Fry's criticisms
 that the group is cluttered with dull, trite programs, and that it is the
 moderator's (Long's) responsibility to not post them]

An impressive display of level-headedness and perspicuity, Mr. Long. I
applaud your position. The last thing in the WORLD we need here is some guy
deciding what is "interesting and useful" and what isn't.

Keep up the good work.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

fry@huma1.HARVARD.EDU (David Fry) (07/14/88)

In article <9634@dhw68k.cts.com> bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) writes:
>In article <4927@husc6.harvard.edu> David Fry (fry@huma1.UUCP) flames:
>
>My job as moderator is not to decide what is important enough to post.
>I leave that to the people who post software.  What I *do* do is try to
>check out as much of the software as I can to verify that it at least
>runs to some extent; verify as best I can that its not copyrighted, or
>if it is, that permission is given to post; to package it in UseNet
>sized chunks; and to post to the net at a rate to keep the volume at
>"reasonable" levels.  The only time rating of the software occasionally
>comes into play is when something I deem of some importance gets
>posted, I'll often move it to the top of the queue.

This comes as news to me and changes the whole light of my
original posting.  I thought the idea of a moderated newsgroup
was to weed out "unworthy" messages or postings.  I see
that you are doing that to an extent by censoring commercial
software, etc.  I certainly can't fault Mr. Long after all.

It is my natural inclination to say the group *should* be
moderated in my original sense, but the main purpose for that
would be to cut down on net usage, expecting massive amounts
of programs to be posted everyday.  Since we see that's not
happening, the flow on comp.binaries.mac is quite reasonable
(from the perspective of Mac-users), it's unnecessary to
create hard feelings by having a benevolent dictator deciding
which programs live and which die.

I retract my original flame, but I would still encourage the
net public to post more carefully.  I don't think Humpback was
worth the cost.

>If it's of no interest to you, hit the 'n' key.

I'm very good at hitting the 'n' key, since I get so much
practice.  I was being concerned about the use of resources.
This stuff costs *somebody* some money.

>Well, if you didn't see them [two programs written by me]
>						posted, then you should have sent me mail
>and asked why.  I would have responded that your postings hadn't made
>it here, and requested you repost, or mail them directly to me, and
>suggested several possible mail routes.  I see no need to flame me,
>since I do the best I can, on a totally volunteer basis.

	I will repost the above programs, and the source for the
XCMD.  We all appreciate the work Mr. Long does at his
expense; I was merely suggesting improvements, improvements
that would, if anything, make his job easier.

David Fry				fry@zariski.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics		fry@zariski.bitnet
Harvard University			...!harvard!zariski!fry
Cambridge, MA  02138

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (07/14/88)

In article <4947@husc6.harvard.edu> fry@huma1.UUCP (David Fry) writes:

>I retract my original flame, but I would still encourage the
>net public to post more carefully.  I don't think Humpback was
>worth the cost.

While Humpback isn't something one will return to again and again,
it is a nice joke and a meditation on the nature of the universe.
I think it was refreshing, myself.  I think it was worth the cost
relative to the trite nonsense that is carried by the majority
of the newsgroups.

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (07/14/88)

Maybe no one is writing useful PD or shareware software for the
macintosh any more.  I agree with David Fry that for one reason or
another, comp.binaries.mac has had (almost) nothing but junk.

The recent postings seem to be either highly-system specific (MPW
tools), or not serious (Humpback), or trivial little tools to change
creator types, for people who HAPPEN to have Word Processor X and
HAPPEN to encounter problem Y frequently.  Or the software is for
people who mainly have 4Mb or 5Mb of memory to burn (SSSwitcher).

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,ihnp4,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

halff@nprdc.arpa (Henry Halff) (07/15/88)

In article <4927@husc6.harvard.edu> fry@huma1.UUCP (David Fry) writes:

>But today I  saw the worst yet: is it really necessary to
>distribute a Perfectionist DA that  does nothing but change the
>file attributes of TEXT files so they can be opened  more simply
>with Word Perfect?  How many of us have Word Perfect, and how many
>of those are transferring files from a PC often enough to warrant
>such a program,  which does something that can be done with Word
>Perfect itself.

At least two, the poster and me.  It's really hard to judge the number
of people that will pick up a posting, particularly after it has been
passed around to many bulletin boards.  I'm with the moderator on this
one.  Post 'em all.

hh

km@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Ken Mitchum) (07/16/88)

I think that some people are missing the point - it is not the job of
the moderator to determine the relative popularity of various programs,
or even their utility, only that the programs are what they claim to be,
and are not posted illegally.

I view comp.binaries.mac much as I view comp.sys.mac, and other newsgroups -
only a small percentage of the traffic of the group actually interests me,
but I realize that what else is there must interest other people, or it
wouldn't be there. Articles are posted for their interest, not their
popularity, and the same thing should be true for programs.

When I submitted the binaries to "MacJove", I realized that it was a program
that would be used by only a small fraction of Mac enthusiasts. However, I
felt that it was important to make the program available to the few Mac users
who prefer emacs-like editors. If popularity had been a consideration, I am
sure the program would have been rejected.

My only objection to the posting of software is where something should perhaps
be updated before posting, such as the DA based on (only) Volumes 1 to 3 of
Inside Macintosh.

 Ken Mitchum
 Decision Systems Labs
 University of Pittsburgh

liberte@zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu (07/16/88)

[ /* Written  7:48 am  Jul 13, 1988 by sbb@esquire.UUCP in zaphod:comp.sys.mac */
[
[ Even better would be if someone posted the program "Lone Ranger" (that
[ might not be the exact name, but it's close).  It allows you to search
[ and replace any type and/or creator for a whole directory of files at a
[ time.

Best of all would be a utility that allowed the user to modify
a map between types/creators and applications.  The documents would retain their
original type and creator, but could be opened with your favorite application.

I'm told that the Desktop has the necessary info in its resources.
But it would be nice to have a friendly interface that presented a list
of types and creators and allowed the associated application to be changed.

Dan LaLiberte
liberte@ncsa.uiuc.edu