[comp.sys.mac] NeXT was

chari@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Chris Whatley) (07/18/88)

In article <7355@cup.portal.com>, Richard_Vernon_Ford@cup.portal.com writes:
> Speaking of NeXT...What happened to "the NeXT machine"?
>
> -Richard

Recent rumour had its release date on july 11 but obviously that has not
happened. Supposedly, it should be out in fall and be sold through University
computer stores initially. At least thats the vibe I got when I called NeXt
about where I might find a dealer. Of course they wouldn't really tell me,
the secretary I spoke to would only hint. Supposedly when any journalist asks
a question about the machine they say... "We could tell you but... then we'd
have to kill you".

To summarize may of the popular rumours (read "bs"):
1) Multiprocessing capability with sophisticated message passing between cards
   etc

2) Mach operating system

3) Development environment with Objective C, Display PostScript and an EPS
   based hypertext language.

4) Standard networking adapter in every machine.

5) High capacity floppies (1.6mb?)

6) 1 68030, 2 68020, 1 68882

Thats it. If anybody has any more, please post it.

Chris

"Henry, have you and Mary had sexual intercourse?"  -Mrs. X
chari@killer.UUCP
CI$:71370,1654