[comp.sys.mac] Rodime 140

stern@hc.DSPO.GOV (michael Stern) (07/12/88)

	CDA computer sales has the Rodime 140meg external SCSI hard drive on
sale for $1395.  I don't know much about the drive, except that I've heard
it's pretty fast (Rodime makes the drive themselves, I believe).
	The price is definately good for a Mac hard drive, although I must
confess that 140meg is more than I'll need for a while.
	Does anybody have any experience with the company?
	I'd apreciate EMail or posted replies.  I won't be buying a drive for
another couple of months, so if anybody has heard of any great deals imminent
in the 80-140 meg range, I'm willing to wait.

					Thanks,
					Stern

chari@killer.UUCP (Chris Whatley) (07/12/88)

In article <14326@hc.DSPO.GOV>, stern@hc.DSPO.GOV (michael Stern) writes:
> [stuff deleted]
> another couple of months, so if anybody has heard of any great deals imminent
> in the 80-140 meg range, I'm willing to wait.
>
> 					Thanks,
> 					Stern

A dealer in Vermont has CMS 140meg internals and externals for less than that.
His name is Don Mayer and the phone is 800/541-2318. He's a real nice guy and
his prices are dirt cheap. He also buys used Macs and periphreals(is that
spelled right?).

By the way, the 140 meg in the CMS drive is the same as the one in the Rodime
drive.

Chris

"Henry, have you and Mary had sexual intercourse?"  -Mrs. X
chari@killer.UUCP
CI$:71370,1654

lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) (07/12/88)

In article <14326@hc.DSPO.GOV> stern@hc.dspo.gov.UUCP (Michael Stern) writes:

>	CDA computer sales has the Rodime 140meg external SCSI hard drive on
>sale for $1395.  I don't know much about the drive, except that I've heard
>it's pretty fast (Rodime makes the drive themselves, I believe).
>	The price is definately good for a Mac hard drive, although I must
>confess that 140meg is more than I'll need for a while.
>	Does anybody have any experience with the company?
>	I'd apreciate EMail or posted replies.  I won't be buying a drive for
>another couple of months, so if anybody has heard of any great deals imminent
>in the 80-140 meg range, I'm willing to wait.
>
>					Thanks,
>					Stern

Well, I have no idea how unusual my experience was, but I had a terrible time
with CDA!

In September, I ordered a MacBottom hard disk.  The salesperson assured me it
was in stock and would be shipped that day.  A week later, having received no
hard disk nor any call about it I called them.  They said that they were out of
stock but expected a new shipment within the week.  When I asked why the
salesman had told me the disks were in stock, they made some meaningless
comment.

I then spent the nxt TWO MONTHS waiting for my MacBottom.  Not once did they
call me to explain why I wasn't getting anything.  Whenever I called them, I
got the same line: that it was on order and would surely arrive within the
week.

At some point in November, they changed their phone policy so that their 800
number was only good for new orders, not for information about existing
orders.  They expected me to pay money to ask them about my order.  However,
being insistent with the operator, I was able to use the 800 number.  It was
unpleasant; I do not like being rude over the phone.

About the first of December it finally arrived.  However, I had simultaneously
pretty much given up hope of ever seeing the drive; so I had begun to shop
around locally and had found a good deal here.  CDA has a no questions asked
return policy.  Since the drive was noisier than I expected and the local deal
was good I returned it, following their instructions to the letter.  End of
story, or so I thought.

In January, I noticed that the charge for the drive had not been matched with
a corresponding credit.  I called CDA.  They checked their records and said
that they were sorry.  They did not know how it could have happened, but they
would issue the credit immediately.  When my credit card statement arrived at
the end of February, the credit was still not there!  I called again and got
the exact same reply.  I threatened them with mail fraud and a week later I
received a receipt showing the credit.  (By the way, I had gotten my credit
card company to issue me a temporary credit, so I wa snot personally out of
pocket.)  However, CDA essentially got an interest free loan for $1200 for
3 months with this nonsense.

About a month later I got a call from a CDA rep who apologized profusely and
sent me a box of 10 Sony diskettes.

Needless to say, I will never do business with them again.

Larry Baum

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (07/13/88)

I heard that Jasime is lowering the price of there 140 meg HD to around
$1499.  And Microtech is selling there 120 meg drive for $1599.  I guess that
the Jasime is the more drive for the money.  But I am going to get the
Microtech drive since I am already committed and since the tax on $1499 would
bring it past the $1599 mark (I live in CA), and Microtech is in CT.

Mark Cookson

tim@ism780c.isc.com (T.W."Tim" Smith, Knowledgian) (07/16/88)

In article <6432@bcsaic.UUCP> lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) writes:
< >	I'd apreciate EMail or posted replies.  I won't be buying a drive for
< >another couple of months, so if anybody has heard of any great deals imminent
< >in the 80-140 meg range, I'm willing to wait.
< Well, I have no idea how unusual my experience was, but I had a terrible time
< with CDA!

Hardware House seems to have a reasonable price on Quantum 3.5" drives.
The 80 Meg 19 ms drive is $977. ( +14.50 for Federal Express ).  I ordered
one on Wedensday, and had it in my Mac and running Friday.  Disktimer II
numbers are 31,31,0 ( it has a cache that pretty much makes the seek test
in DiskTimer II meaningless ).

melnik@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ofer Melnik) (07/17/88)

Could someone send me a copy of DiskTimer II, as well as some stats on
how various drives perform. I'm using a 91 Meg Everex EMAC 91D, and it
says in the ad it's 19ms, but I want to test it out...

Thanks

-Ofer

[Ofer Melnik -- Rutgers University       ! "If its not in the computer,     ]
[               melnik@topaz.rutgers.edu !  it doesn't exist."              ]

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (07/19/88)

Do you have the number of Hardware House?  I would be interested in buying an
80 meg drive for $997.  That's internal huh?  Any deals on external?

Mark Cookson