[comp.sys.mac] source code control

ham@polya.Stanford.EDU (Peter R. Ham) (07/18/88)

	I'm new to the macintosh, but am working for a small company that is
developing on the mac.

	We don't have any source code control mechanism like rcs on unix systems.
What we do is give everyone their own copy of all of the sources and have each
developer merge in his/her changes with the master every once in a while.  Being
used to a shared file system and rcs on unix, this all seems like a pain.

	Does anyone out there use shared files and an automated version control
system when developing for the mac?

Peter

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, Licensed To Dream) (07/18/88)

article <3274@polya.Stanford.EDU> ham@polya.Stanford.EDU (Peter R. Ham) writes:
>We don't have any source code control mechanism like rcs on unix systems.
>What we do is give everyone their own copy of all of the sources and have each
>developer merge in his/her changes with the master every once in a while. Being

MPW 3.0 which will be available from APDA sometime this fall or so will have
source control management built in.  It keeps a single project database file
somewhere (on a local or TOPS or AppleShare volume) containing the project
layout, revision notes, and documents with deltas.  Life is much better
with a flavor of AppleTalk faster than LocalTalk when working off an AppleShare
volume.  It also features branching, command line and dialog (commando-style)
interface, subprojects, etc etc etc.

There is also a third party product which does source code management.  It is
advertised in the latest MacTutor and in the Dr Dobbs Macintosh supplement.
It apparently has some level of compatibility with OS/2 and VMS environments
and at first glance at the advertisement seems to have much the same
functionality of MPW 3.0 project management. Sorry I don't remember the details.

Disclaimer:  This is not an official endorsement of anything.  I am not on
the MPW team so details may vary with usage.
Byron Han,  Licensed to Dream.                         FUD SAA.
Apple Computer, Inc.                     -------------------------------------
20525 Mariani Ave, MS27Y                 domain: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014                      UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
--------------------------------------   GENIE: BYRONHAN
ATTnet: 408-973-6450   Applelink: HAN1   CompuServe: 72167,1664

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David M. O'Rourke) (07/19/88)

In article <3274@polya.Stanford.EDU> ham@polya.Stanford.EDU (Peter R. Ham) writes:
>	Does anyone out there use shared files and an automated version control
>system when developing for the mac?

  Don't know how good it is!!  But if you're using MPW then there is an ad in
the July Issue of MacTutor for "PVCS The Leading Source Code Control System
Comes to the Macintosh....List of features"

  I have no affiliation with the people who market or wrote this product!

Their address type information is:
1-800-547-4000
Polytron Corporation
1700 NW 167th Place
beaverton, OR 97006
--
David M. O'Rourke
"If it doesn't do Windows, then it's not a computer!!!"

Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!