[comp.sys.mac] SoundMaster and 6.0

robiner@ganelon.usc.edu (Steve) (07/12/88)

Yes, its yet another 6.0 related problem for all those keeping
score at home.  Does anyone know why ( or better yet, how to
correct the problem ) SoundMaster won't play the shutdown sound
with 6.0 installed?

Thanks in advance,
=Steve=

wade@sdacs.UUCP (07/12/88)

In article <10625@oberon.USC.EDU>, robiner@ganelon.usc.edu (Steve) writes:
> Does anyone know why ( or better yet, how to correct the problem )
> SoundMaster won't play the shutdown sound with 6.0 installed?

I don't know the answer to this, but I did see a recent GENIE directory
listing which contained at least one file titled "Tips for using
SoundMaster with System 6.0" or words to that effect. Perhaps someone
who frequents GENIE or Compuserve would be willing to grab that file
and post it (or paraphrase it).

Wade Blomgren
wade@sdacs.ucsd.edu

curry@nsc.nsc.com (Ray Curry) (07/13/88)

It's my understanding that the problem is in SoundMaster which causes a
problem of interference with the macromaker.  Hopefully a new version of
SoundMaster is in the works?

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (07/13/88)

robiner@ganelon.usc.edu(Steve ?) writes in comp.sys.mac

>Yes, its yet another 6.0 related problem for all those keeping
>score at home.  Does anyone know why ( or better yet, how to
>correct the problem ) SoundMaster won't play the shutdown sound
>with 6.0 installed?

	Although only semi-related, I would like to point out that ShutDownSound
INIT still works fine under 6.0 if you need a shutdown sound.

(Disclaimer: O.k, I wrote ShutDownSound INIT. I'm biased - but it's FREE!)

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +  MacNET: MACgician                +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +                                   +
+                                 +                                   +

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (07/14/88)

In article <10625@oberon.USC.EDU> robiner@ganelon.usc.edu (Steve) writes:
>Does anyone know why ( or better yet, how to
>correct the problem ) SoundMaster won't play the shutdown sound
>with 6.0 installed?

Works fine for my Mac+ with 6.0.  Perhaps your shutdown sound is too large
for memory.

                    "After decades of "Masterpiece Theater" decline,
                     deferent workers cheering dim royals, and legions of
                     garden fetishists whose idea of fun was a gentle
                     discussion of acidity levels in the topsoil, the class
                     system is finally getting shaken up.  There are happier
                     consequences of this than violence, of course, but the
                     hooligan revival is at least a reminder that there's
                     now no shortage of Britons successful enough to deserve
                     beating up and plenty of others self-confident enough
                     to do it."
                                        -- Andrew Sullivan
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

prw@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Paul R. Wenker) (07/14/88)

In article <10625@oberon.USC.EDU> robiner@ganelon.usc.edu (Steve) writes:
>Yes, its yet another 6.0 related problem for all those keeping
>score at home.  Does anyone know why ( or better yet, how to
>correct the problem ) SoundMaster won't play the shutdown sound
>with 6.0 installed?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>=Steve=

I guess somebody forgot to tell my Mac II.  It's been working just
peachy for me.

-Paul R. Wenker			prw@meccsd
-MECC, Technical Services

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (07/16/88)

Hmmm,

Soundmaster 1.2 plays the shutdown sound and the restart sound for me under
6.0 on my Mac II (but then I have 8 megs of memory!).

-David

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (07/18/88)

In article <11540164@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) writes:

>Soundmaster 1.2 plays the shutdown sound and the restart sound for me under
>6.0 on my Mac II (but then I have 8 megs of memory!).

I have also had trouble with v.1.2.  With the macromaker in, it
will play the startup sound, no problem.  With it out, it will
also play "I'll be back" for restart and/or shutdown".  It will not,
however play the "my mind is going" sound for either restart of shutdown,
although you can play it from inside the control panel.  I have
5 megs.  What gives?

melnik@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ofer Melnik) (07/19/88)

I'm doing a paper on computers & sound, and I'd be very greatful if all
of you with your interesting sound files (digitized preferabley [sp?])
would send me a copy.

Thanks in advance

-Ofer

----------\        ___
     /    \       /__ |       /|/|      C/O Melnik@Topaz.Rutgers.Edu
    |      |     //  ||      /_  |          Rutgers!Topaz!Melnik
   /       \     \___/ FER //   ||ELNIK
        /--\
         -=  \
           _  \  If you would be powerful, pretend to be powerful. HT
          /___|
           \     There are few sorrows, however poignant, in which a
          ~^     good income is of no avail. LPS
 \-----____/     Living well is the best revenge. RM