[comp.sys.mac] password protection on folders?

emuroga@m.cs.uiuc.edu (07/16/88)

   Is there a utility to provide password protection for folders? This would
be nice to have on a mac used by many people, and allow each person to
protect his/her directory from prying eyes.

Eisuke Muroga
ARPA		emuroga@m.cs.uiuc.edu
CSNET		emuroga@uiuc.csnet
USENET		uiucdcs!uiucdcsm!emuroga
BITNET		emuroga%m.cs.uiuc.edu@uiucvmd.bitnet

osmigo@ut-emx.UUCP (07/16/88)

[Eisuke Muroga asks about password protection for folders]

This is something that's long overdue. MacSafe et. al. are nice but they are
overkill to a point; practically "finder replacements" for all their com-
plexity. What is needed is a simple, quick-and-dirty routine where one would
simply double-click on a folder, and it would ask for a password before it
zoomed open. Simple as that. Of course, it would also have to work if the
folder were accessed from within an application.

This would be a "useful" (wink, wink...) application for someone to write and
stick on comp.binaries.mac.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

reeck@lclark.UUCP (David Reeck) (07/19/88)

In article <4255@ut-emx.UUCP> osmigo@emx.UUCP (Ron Morgan) writes:
>[Eisuke Muroga asks about password protection for folders]
>
>This is something that's long overdue. MacSafe et. al. are nice but they are
>overkill to a point; practically "finder replacements" for all their com-
>plexity. What is needed is a simple, quick-and-dirty routine where one would
>simply double-click on a folder, and it would ask for a password before it
>zoomed open. Simple as that. Of course, it would also have to work if the
>folder were accessed from within an application.

	Here Here!  (Hear Hear?) I have needed one of these ever since I got
room mates. (ack). I'd rather not have some kid from down stairs flipping
through  my folders, finding res-edit and altering applications on my disk
(which is not an unlikely possibility, considering the kid who lived down
stairs.) I'll see if I can't get a little help on this from the programmer
here (the real one, not a student programmer ;) ). No promises tho....

		Dave
		Student Programmer
		!tektronix!reed!lclark!reeck

rich@scotty.UUCP (Rich E. Seyna) (07/19/88)

In article <268@lclark.UUCP> you write:
>In article <4255@ut-emx.UUCP> osmigo@emx.UUCP (Ron Morgan) writes:
>>[Eisuke Muroga asks about password protection for folders]
>>
>>This is something that's long overdue. MacSafe et. al. are nice but they are
>
>	Here Here!  (Hear Hear?) I have needed one of these ever since I got
>room mates. (ack). I'd rather not have some kid from down stairs flipping
>through  my folders, finding res-edit and altering applications on my disk
>(which is not an unlikely possibility, considering the kid who lived down
>stairs.) I'll see if I can't get a little help on this from the programmer
>here (the real one, not a student programmer ;) ). No promises tho....

There is a psudo-security method which may work for you until someone comes
out with a good security packsge.  Use Disktop or Setfile and change the
files to invisible.  Those files will no longer appear on the desk top.

It's hard for an individual to mess with files that they don't know are there.
This method will only work until they discover what you've done.
It's somewhat awkward changing the files when you want to use them, it may
provide some 'security'.  They can still see the files if they use the
OPEN option from within an application though.

Not very good, but it's something.
enjoy

--

Rich Seyna                               Bright eyes gladden the heart;
{ames,cmcl2,rutgers}!                    Good news puts fat on the bones.

Fabian@cup.portal.com (07/20/88)

Eisuke,

SuperMac Software's Sentinel 2.0 will allow you to encrypt (password protect)
the entire contents of any folder, as well as any sub-folders via three
(currently available) encryption methods:

          DES (a software implementation)
          BlockCrypt
          SuperCrypt

Fabian Ramirez