[comp.sys.mac] uw and termcap

flash@ee.inference.ee.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan) (07/18/88)

In article <306@corona.pb> michael@pbinfo.uucp (Michael Schmidt) writes:
>In article <535@sequent.cs.qmc.ac.uk>, flash@ee (Flash Sheridan) writes:
>>In article <369@mergvax.UUCP> rkxyv@mergvax.UUCP (Robert Kedoin) writes:
>>>
>>>I've seen versions of Jove and Emacs where the lines are just inserted, but
>>>the screen does not look like it is redrawn.
>>
>>I think it's your terminal emulator.  It happens to me using uw's ANSI
>>windows, but not Red Ryder's or dumb virtue's vt100 windows.
>
>May also depend on your termcap entry. If it contains entrys for
>add and delete line (al,il,AL,IL) or to change the scrolling
>region (cs, like vt100 has) GNUEmacs and perhaps also Jove will
>use it occasionally to update the screen.

Yep, thanks, that was it.  uw doesn't support cs(change scrolling region).
I removed it, and everything is wonderful.  To save other termcap novices
from having to read the man, here's the new entry I put into /etc/termcap

ZZ|ansi|uw-ansi|ansi with mods from dumv for uw:cs@:tc=dumv-24:

ZZ is because it wants a two-letter code.  cs@ means don't do cs.  tc means
otherwise it's like the dumb-virtue terminal (a Mac emulator which emulates
the uw emulator, but much better: it's a real Mac interface, though the
program itself is flaky.); you'll probably want to use vt100 instead.

Re-defining 'ansi' is decidedly non-kosher, but the alternative was
re-making uw again.

Be careful, uw on startup re-defines your TERM variable, but not TERMCAP.
This is what caught me.

From: flash@ee.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan)
or_perhaps_Reply_to: flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (07/20/88)

In article <544@sequent.cs.qmc.ac.uk> sheridan@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk writes:
>or_perhaps_Reply_to: flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk

>Be careful, uw on startup re-defines your TERM variable, but not TERMCAP.
>This is what caught me.

This is an oversight on the part of the author.  Uw DOES define your
TERMCAP variable on startup, if and only if you are using adm31
emulation.  This is because John Bruner uses only the adm31 emulation
himself, I think.  The problem is easily fixed if you have access to
the uw sources on your host, and can persuade your system
administrator to let you fix them.  (Even better if you ARE the
sysop!)

The TERMCAP strings are defined in server/uw_tty.c, and all you have
to do is fill in the missing ones.  It has been a long time since I
did this, but I have a uw server here which fills in environment
TERMCAP entries for adm31, ansi, vt52, and tek!  For added zest, a few
lines of code added to uw_fork.c lets you use uwtool to put up a new
window of a different type and with the correct TERMCAP defined.  I
sent John Bruner mail on this point a few times, but got no reply, for
whatever reasons.  I conclude that either he is too busy, doesn't
perceive this as a problem, or simply didn't get the mail.

Since the program contains a copyright notice, I wouldn't feel right
posting diffs, but any competent C programmer should be able to fix
this once he finds the line defining the TERMCAP string.

Earle Horton

Earle R. Horton.  H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755