[comp.sys.mac] System 6.0 only finds 10 & 12 point Times/Helvetica

barad@conti.ee.tulane.edu (Herb Barad) (07/18/88)

I've just installed System 6.0 on my Mac II.  I use Suitecase to
hold ALL fonts except Chicago, Geneva, and Monoco.  What I noticed
(and it only happens with Times and Helvetica, not any others) is
that programs ONLY find 10 and 12 point font.  I really have
9,10,12,... up to 54 point of both of these fonts.  At first I thought
that these larger screen fonts (>24 point, I forget where I picked
up the large screen fonts, but I've used them with no problems before)
were causing the problem.  I removed them and I still notice the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this problem (or a similar one).  Maybe
I have to start all over again and clean out stuff.  I did not have
this problem under System 5.0 and all I did was install 6.0.

Any ideas?
--
Herb Barad	[Electrical Engineering Dept. - Tulane Univ.]
INTERNET:	barad@ee.tulane.edu

lippin@skippy.berkeley.edu (The Apathist) (07/20/88)

Recently barad@bourbon.UUCP () said:
>I've just installed System 6.0 on my Mac II.  I use Suitecase to
>hold ALL fonts except Chicago, Geneva, and Monoco.  What I noticed
>(and it only happens with Times and Helvetica, not any others) is
>that programs ONLY find 10 and 12 point font.  I really have
>9,10,12,... up to 54 point of both of these fonts.

I ran into a similar problem on an earlier system (I've forgotten
which).  The difficulty is that the FOND in the system file doesn't
usually know about fonts not in the system file.  My solution is to
put all the fonts of a family in the same file, although it may
suffice just to move them in and out of the system file with the
Font/DA Mover.

					--Tom Lippincott
					..ucbvax!math!lippin

	"Man, you ain't got class; you got linoleum!"
					--Corky Siegel

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) (07/20/88)

.
.I ran into a similar problem on an earlier system (I've forgotten
.which).  The difficulty is that the FOND in the system file doesn't
.usually know about fonts not in the system file.  My solution is to
.put all the fonts of a family in the same file, although it may
.suffice just to move them in and out of the system file with the
.Font/DA Mover.
.

The Suitcase (TM) User's Manual sheds a little more light on Font
name/number conflicts...in a nutshell,  all fonts of the same family
should reside in the same file (as stated above), and even then, there
may be a number conflict between fonts of DIFFERENT names in different
files. (The font "numbers" are transparant to the user.)  To clear up
any potential numbering conflict, move as many fonts as possible into
one suitcase file (a suitcase file will hold up to 200 fonts), then
refile them the way you want (putting them into the same file causes an
automatic renumbering in case there are any conflicts).  It sounds to me,
though, like you are are describing something a little different, perhaps
related to System 6.0.  Make sure you have the latest version of Suitcase
(I have 1.2.4 per the patches posted to this newsgroup, and am patiently
awaiting 1.3 to be released by FGS...does anyone have any info on this?)

If you still have problems, call Fifth Generation Systems at (504) 291-9953.

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way attached to Fifth Generation Systems, to my
right mind, or as far as I can tell, to anything else in the known universe.
		    UCLA Computer Science Department
   -- Larry         3413 Boelter Hall   Los Angeles 90024  (213) 825-2145
	 Prince     UUCP:    {ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!prince
		    ARPAnet:  prince@CS.UCLA.EDU

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (07/21/88)

[ other attributions missing]
(
(The Suitcase (TM) User's Manual sheds a little more light on Font
(name/number conflicts...in a nutshell,  all fonts of the same family
(should reside in the same file (as stated above), . . . It sounds to me,
(though, like you are are describing something a little different, perhaps
(related to System 6.0. . . .

Now that we got our Farallon Appletalk network hooked up, I used the
background printing installer script in the System 5 tools to set up
the background stuff.  When next running a program, I observed the
same thing; the installer had added the three LW fonts in two sizes to
my system file, and only those two sizes were available to the
application.  As I use Suitcase, the only fonts I normally have in my
System file are Chicago, Monaco, and Geneva (ALL sizes) and all sizes
of everything else are kept in another suitcase file.  Removing the
newly added fonts from the System file with F/DA Mover solved the
problem.  This is probably not peculiar to System 6.0.

	/JBL

UUCP: {backbone}!bbn!levin     USPS: BBN Communications Corporation
ARPA: levin@bbn.com                  150 Cambridgepark Drive
POTS: (617) 873-3463                 Cambridge, MA  02140

jdm@ut-emx.UUCP (Jim Meiss) (07/21/88)

In article <14591@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> prince@cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) writes:

>The Suitcase (TM) User's Manual sheds a little more light on Font
>name/number conflicts...in a nutshell,  all fonts of the same family
>should reside in the same file (as stated above), and even then, there
>may be a number conflict between fonts of DIFFERENT names in different
>files. (The font "numbers" are transparant to the user.)  To clear up
>any potential numbering conflict, move as many fonts as possible into
>one suitcase file (a suitcase file will hold up to 200 fonts), then
>refile them the way you want (putting them into the same file causes an
>automatic renumbering in case there are any conflicts).

Those lucky users of Font/DA Juggler have a utility program, Font Resolver,
which does just that.

				Jim Meiss
		 		jdm@emx.utexas.edu
				jdm%uta.MFENET@nmfecc.ARPA