[comp.sys.mac] Macintosh Today

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (02/16/88)

Does anyone know what happened to Macintosh Today, the "weekly" which was
published by the MacWorld people?  The last issue I received was just
before Christmas.  Have the ceased publication?

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (02/17/88)

In article <444@stech.UUCP> sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:

>Does anyone know what happened to Macintosh Today, the "weekly" which was
>published by the MacWorld people?  The last issue I received was just
>before Christmas.  Have the ceased publication?

 On Tuesday I get MacWeek on Thursday I get MacToday. MacWeek has better
articles, MacToday has more expensive-looking ads. Lifes a beach.
 Pierce Wetter>
It's not an optical illusion, it just looks like one.
		-- Phil White

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu

drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (02/18/88)

In article <444@stech.UUCP>, sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:

> Does anyone know what happened to Macintosh Today, the "weekly" which was
> published by the MacWorld people?  The last issue I received was just
> before Christmas.  Have the ceased publication?

Jan, it's still publishing, but it is a biweekly.  There have been three issues
that I've received so far this calendar year (11Jan, 25Jan, 8Feb).  The only
thing that I can assume is that there is some problem with the fulfillment
house that handles complimentary subscriptions.  You might try contacting the
publication.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center
dBASE Mac Development Team
--------------------------
PS:  I do have a connection to Macintosh Today, since I write for them on
occasion.

paul@mit-caf.UUCP (Paul Meyer) (02/19/88)

In article <444@stech.UUCP>, sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:

> Does anyone know what happened to Macintosh Today, the "weekly" which was
> published by the MacWorld people?  The last issue I received was just
> before Christmas.  Have the ceased publication?

My complimentary subscription to Macintosh Today also stopped at
Christmas.  If you find out what happened to it, please post it.
MacWeek is fine for articles and stuff, but I miss the fancy adds and
glossy pictures.

Paul Meyer
MIT
Microsystems Technology Laboratory
----------------------------------

goldfarb@ucf-cs.ucf.edu (02/19/88)

In article <444@stech.UUCP>, sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:

> Does anyone know what happened to Macintosh Today, the "weekly" which was
> published by the MacWorld people?  The last issue I received was just
> before Christmas.  Have the ceased publication?

I am still getting my biweekly copy, but a friend of mine employed
elsewhere stopped getting his.  When he inquired about it he was told
that 20,000 subscribers had "inadvertently" been dropped from their list;
however, he would have no problem "requalifying."  When asked if there
would be any chance of getting the missed issues, the subscription agent
said NO.

				Ben Goldfarb
				University of Central Florida
				uucp: {decvax,codas,peora}!ucf-cs!goldfarb
				Internet: goldfarb@ucf-cs.ucf.edu

gfj@homxc.UUCP (G.JOHNSON) (02/19/88)

I've seen postings requesting information on MacWeek and
MacToday, yet no postings with addresses, phone numbers,
etc.  I can only assume it all got followed up through
email or I had a few days asleep at the switch and missed
the postings.  Could someone post the info or email me and
I'll post it.

Any brief info on each would be appreciated, (i.e. general
content, which is better, cost per issue, etc.).

Thanks in advance.

Garry Johnson		uucp: {ihnp4,cbosgd,rutgers!mtune}!homxc!gfj
AT&T Bell Labs
Holmdel, N.J.		***Dis Claimer was here****
This is a non-standard disclaimer, if     || Garrett Johnson
it were a standard disclaimer there would || AT&T Bell Labs
be an ISO technical committee working on  || Holmdel, N.J.
improving it.				  || ihnp4!homxc!gfj
(who are THEY kidding. I complain about how much MacUser costs...).

Anyway, I filled out a new free subscription form. They turned me down.

Just for the hell of it, I turned in a form via my work address here at
Sun. I got my first copy of the free subscription yesterday.

As a small business owner who owns multiple Mac's, a laserwriter and a
network, has been spending a couple of thousand a year on the systems for
the last couple of years, and writes in the trade magazines about the
Macintosh, I don't qualify for a subscription.

As a tech support person with no Mac's (but a bunch of Suns), no buying
authority and no real direct contact with the Macintosh market, I get a free
subscription.

I'm not complaining, mind you. But I find this amusing as all get out. I
wonder what the Macintosh Today advertisers are really getting for their
dollars?

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

	Robert A. Heinlein: 1907-1988. He will never truly die as long as we
                           read his words and speak his name. Rest in Peace.

kmw@ardent.UUCP (Ken Wallich) (06/20/88)

It's good to find out that I'm not the only one being discriminated against
by Macintosh Today.  I also own my own small business, and buy lots of
gear for my Macs every year.  I was accepted for a free subscription, but
6 weeks later I received a letter saying "Now that you've seen how valuable
Macintosh Today is ..." and a message that $100 would give me a whole
year subscription (They cut you a deal at $75, chuq).  Now this wouldn't
have bothered me at all, but I know several folks who also have no buying
authority, but nevertheless get endless free subscriptions because they
apply as an employee of a large, well known company.  Of course that
doesn't explain why I also have a friend with a 128K mac, no printer,
who primarily plays games (old ones) on it, who has been receiving a free
subscription without having even asked for one for 2 years.

Well, at least the information they provide is available elswhere for free,
even if you do have to wait a while for it to propagate.

Ken Wallich
kmw@ardent.ardent.com
--
 * any ideas expressed herein are pure coincidence and do not reflect reality *
Ken Wallich 			Work: kmw@ardent.com	Home: dworkin@amber.UUCP

joseph@cooper.cooper.EDU (Joe Giannuzzi) (07/20/88)

I read a wee bit back that the 7/11 Mac Today would be the last.

Well I just got the 7/18 issue yesterday.  What's up?

glenn@doodah.UUCP (Glenn Cirlincione) (07/21/88)

> I read a wee bit back that the 7/11 Mac Today would be the last.
>
> Well I just got the 7/18 issue yesterday.  What's up?

It *does* say FINAL Issue in the upper right corner!!

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (07/21/88)

I just got an issue a few days ago that said that they were going
out of business and that there would be no more issues.  So it's official.

-Ted