[comp.sys.mac] INITs at bootup

castan@munnari.oz (Jason Castan) (07/19/88)

I just remembered that there's an init by CE Software called Aask INIT.
It allows you to select which INITs you want to run if you hold the
space bar down just before Aask shows it's init icon. I found it on a bbs
without any docs. Is it actually pd/freeware ? It would be useful for
all those people who are having compatability problems and they dont
know which init is the killer.
	john lim

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (07/22/88)

In article <2240@munnari.oz> castan@munnari.oz (Jason Castan) writes:
>I just remembered that there's an init by CE Software called Aask INIT.
>It allows you to select which INITs you want to run if you hold the
>space bar down just before Aask shows it's init icon. I found it on a bbs
>without any docs. Is it actually pd/freeware ? It would be useful for
>all those people who are having compatability problems and they dont
>know which init is the killer.

No, Aask is not freeware or PD.  It was a beta version that CE was planning
to release with a new MockPackage in the near future.  It got out somehow,
and CE has asked that anyone having it to destroy it, and not pass it on.

I've called CE up at least three times, asking about availability, pleading
to be able to buy it, but each time they say they're real busy on their mail
package and probably won't get around to the MockPackage upgrade until late
in the year, if ever.

Well, Lightspeed C 3.0 just came in (yowsah!), and so I've decided that if I
have to build an Init Manager INIT, I'll build one.  I'll let folks know
when it's ready for beta testing...

                        "Permit me to introduce myself.  My name's Dracula,
                         Lord of the Undead.  God, I do love the way that
                         sounds."
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

brewer@clio.las.uiuc.edu (07/22/88)

	No, Aask is not PD/Shareware. It was a beta test copy that someone
uploaded to a board. Because of it's usefulness, it spread rapidly to other
boards. When CE found out, boy were they pissed. So, no it is not releasable,
and you should erase it from your disks.