[comp.sys.mac] Is 512k Mac compatible with SCSI HD?

ECKCC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Jon Gilbert) (07/02/88)

      I have an enhanced 512k Mac with extra Dove memory and a Dove SCSI
board.  I recently bought a CMS SD60 hard disk to use with the Mac and
have been unable to get it to work properly.  If I try to boot the CMS
drive directly, the drive light goes on briefly and then I get a sad Mac
screen with id=0F0003.  If I boot from a floppy and then run CMS'
utility program, the utility program WILL recognize the drive and can
successfully perform all of its operations (e.g. formatting, installing
drivers, verifying blocks all seem to work).  If I then try to use a
program like the SCSI Bus status CDEV to mount the drive, the Mac gets
an id 3 system error.  I have made several calls to both Dove and CMS
and noone at either of the companies knows what's going on.  Has anyone
else had this problem and found a solution?  I am getting very
frustrated having a $800 hard disk that I can't use.
     Recent postings here indicate that there may be a serious bug in
the SCSI code in the ROMs that were put in my Mac when I got the ROM
upgrade in May 87 that may be the cause of my problems.  These messages
have also indicated that Apple will replace these defective ROMs for
free.  My local dealer doesn't know anything about this.  Can someone
tell me the name of a piece of paper from Apple that I can direct the
dealer's attention to?
     Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon Gilbert
ECKCC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
ECKCC@CUNYVM (Bitnet)

clayj@microsoft.UUCP (Clay Jackson) (07/08/88)

In article <1396ECKCC@CUNYVM>, ECKCC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Jon Gilbert) writes:

>       I have an enhanced 512k Mac with extra Dove memory and a Dove SCSI
> board.  I recently bought a CMS SD60 hard disk to use with the Mac and
> have been unable to get it to work properly.  If I try to boot the CMS
> drive directly, the drive light goes on briefly and then I get a sad Mac
> screen with id=0F0003.

I have a 512E of the same vintage (actually earlier, it's a 128 that
was upgraded to a 512, upgraded to an 'E', and then given the Dove
treatment) and upgrade, and have used an HD20SC (Apple's SCSI HD20)
with no troubles.

I have also heard (from dealers, etc) that SOME SCSI devices will not work
with ALL SCSI ports.  Altho, I would expect that is this was the case
here that CMS would know about it.  I do know that when I bought my
HD20 WSI (SCSI Upgrade from PCPC), I was sure I got a statement from them
(in writing) that said "Yes, it will work with a DOVE SCSI board).

Clay

{....microsoft!clayj}

DISCLAIMER:  I don't tell MS what to do, and they let me have access to the
net!

bob@eecs.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (07/20/88)

I don't think the problem is with the hard disk itself, but rather with
the information contained in the boot blocks of the disk. The 0F0003 code
means that an illegal instruction was executed (this is this important
part) AFTER the initial self tests are finished. This would seem to me to
be during the boot blocks.

To fix the problem, replace the boot blocks on the disk. This can be done
by dragging a new system and finder from a diskette into the system folder
of the hard disk. If you are using system 6.0, there is a program supplied
(called "Sys 6.0 Boot Blocks") which can be used to automatically install
new boot blocks onto the hard disk. Once the new boot blocks are installed,
all the problems should disappear.

Bob Hablutzel		BOB@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU
Disclaimer:	My bosses probably don't even know the network exists.

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (07/22/88)

Do you have the program you mention that would write the boot blocks for
system 6.0 "Sys 6.0 boot blocks?"  This would be a great help to anyone
downloading the new system, and to me as I find it a real pain to use the
installer.  If you could Binhex it I would be most gratefull.  Thanks in
advance

Mark Cookson