[comp.sys.mac] vt100 emulators

dfs059@Mipl3.JPL.Nasa.Gov (04/27/88)

Mike_G_Newman@cup.portal.com writes:

>Does anyone know of a faithful vt-100 emulation program for the mac?
>
>What I specifically need is the feature known as dedicated or transparent
>print in which printer traffic sent by the host will not appear on the screen
>but will be routed directly to the printer.
>
>Mike Newman, Afetna, Saipan, Mariana Islands

I have tried a number of terminal emulators, and the only one I have
been happy with is VersaTerm, by Lonnie Abelbeck.  It supports the
pass-thru you mentioned, is the most faithful vt100 emulator I have
seen, and best of all, is very well supported.  Each new version that
comes our way seems to have every feature we were hoping would get
added.  I spend 8 hours a day in VersaTerm (ah, the wonders of
multi-finder and multiple monitors!), and am extremely happy with it.

By the way, it handles 9600 baud without flow control (if your screen
size is 24 x 80, 1 bit per pixel), and 19200 baud with minimal flow
control.

It is available from mail order houses, distributed by

Peripherals Computers & Supplies, Inc.
2457 Perkiomen Ave.
Mt. Penn, PA  19606
(215) 779-0522

Dan Stanfill
dfs059@mipl3.jpl.nasa.gov

dlt@csuna.UUCP (Dave Thompson) (07/22/88)

We have been using MacTerminal and VersaTerm 3.1 as terminal emulators
connecting to our various mainframes.  Generally, these work quite well
except for the inability to emulate printer controller mode (<esc>5i and
<esc>4i).  When these packages encounter these codes they seem to be
passed through and the data is printed on the screen rather than on the
printer.  We'd be happy if when the <esc>5i is received a dialog box
would pop up asking for a file name to save the data to and close out
the file when the <esc>4i is received.  We'd prefer that the user have
no interaction at this point.

Does anyone know of a VT100 emulator package that handles printer
controller mode properly (i.e. goes directly to the printer) or
provides a viable alternative?

Thanks

--
Dave Thompson		     uucp:   {ihnp4|hplabs|psivax}!csun!csuna!dlt
CSUN Computer Center         phone:  (818) 885-2790