[comp.sys.mac] hard disk troubles

finin@antares.PRC.Unisys.COM (Tim Finin) (04/06/88)

I'm having hard luck with my hard disk.  Again.  I'm looking for
suggestions and advice.

Something has spontaneously screwed up my apple HD20 on my Mac.  The
symptom is that when the machine is booted, it does not recognize the
HD20 as a formatted disk.  More specifically, when the machine boots
with the HD20 on and plugged in, it shows me the "?" icon and waits
for me to put a floppy disk in with a system on it.  Once the system
shows up, it tells me that the HD20 is not a Mac disk and asks me if I
want to initialize it.  I say no, of course.  If I later try to force
the Mac to access the HD20, it again gives me a dialogue box in which
it declares the HD20 to not be a Mac disk and asks me if I want to
cancel or initialize.

This same thing happened once before, about a year ago.  I simply
accepted the problem and went ahead and re-initialized the disk.  I'd
like to not go this route again.  I was able to run the hard disk
diagnostic program which came with the disk.  It says that it's fine.
I imagine that if I get copies of any of the "disk repairing" programs
(mine  were all on the HD20!) that they won't be able to successfully
access the HD20 because the Mac things it's not intialized.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Tim

Tim Finin			finin@prc.unisys.com
Paoli Research Center		..!{psuvax1,sdcrdcf,cbmvax,bpa}!burdvax!finin
Unisys Corporation		215-648-7446 (o)
PO Box 517, Paoli PA 19301	215-386-1749 (h)

tom@Mills.berkeley.edu (Tom Erbe) (04/06/88)

In article <5944@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> finin@antares.PRC.Unisys.COM (Tim Finin) writes:

>I imagine that if I get copies of any of the "disk repairing" programs
>(mine  were all on the HD20!) that they won't be able to successfully
>access the HD20 because the Mac things it's not intialized.
>
>I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice.
>
>Tim

The way to use a disk repairing program with a dead hard disk is to: put the
system/finder on the disk with the repair program, make the repair program
the startup application, then boot to this disk with the hard disk attached
and running.  This way, the Mac will not mark the hard disk as unusable
until you quit the repair program and return to the finder.

Tom Erbe-Technical Director-Center for Contemporary Music-Mills College
         tom@mills.berkeley.edu   -or-   tom@jiff.berkeley.edu

sls@dukempd.UUCP (Shelley Shostak) (07/23/88)

Our HD20 on our Mac+ has just developed a strange problem. The Mac died in
the middle of playing Nettrek. When the machine was rebooted, it says the
dard disk is damaged. Do you want to initialize it. When I ran the HDSetup
and tested the disk it said it was OK. It even updated the SCSI driver ok.
When I try to reboot, it gets the smiling Mac and then immediately shows
the disk with question mark. Has anybody had any similar experiences?
Any suggestions? All suggestions would be most welcome.

						Shelley

--
	Shelley Shostak				1-919-684-8279
	Duke University Dept. of Physics	sls@dukempd.uucp

spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) (07/23/88)

Sounds like the classic symptoms of a trashed SYSTEM file.  Reboot your
Mac with a floppy and try replacing the System File.

_DHMS
David HM Spector				New York University
Senior Systems Programmer			Graduate School of Business
Arpa: SPECTOR@GBA.NYU.EDU			Academic Computing Center
UUCP:...!{allegra,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!spector	90 Trinity Place, Rm C-4
HamRadio: N2BCA      MCIMail: DSpector          New York, New York 10006
AppleLink: D1161     CompuServe: 71260,1410     (212) 285-6080
"What computer puts out work like this?"  "Hire us and we'll tell you."
XYZZYGLORP
From: spector@vx2.GBA.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector)
Date: 23-Jul-88 10:10 EDT
Subject: Re: VT220 Emulation?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac

White Pine Software makes a vt220 terminal emulator that probably does
a very good job.  I say probably, becuase I never recommend software I haven't
personally used, but friends who are hyper-critical of terminal programs
(read: beat terminal emulators to death by using the most bizzare of features)
think that its a good program..

_DHMS
David HM Spector				New York University
Senior Systems Programmer			Graduate School of Business
Arpa: SPECTOR@GBA.NYU.EDU			Academic Computing Center
UUCP:...!{allegra,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!spector	90 Trinity Place, Rm C-4
HamRadio: N2BCA      MCIMail: DSpector          New York, New York 10006
AppleLink: D1161     CompuServe: 71260,1410     (212) 285-6080
"What computer puts out work like this?"  "Hire us and we'll tell you."
XYZZYGLORP

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (07/24/88)

That sounds as if you just destroied the boot blocks.  Something like Sys 4.0
boot blocks (if you are running system 4.2) or Fedit (if you are not), or
re-installing 6.0 with the installer (if you have 6.0) the right one of these
should fix your problem.

Mark Cookson