[comp.sys.mac] 2400 baud modems and scrolling

greg@mips.COM (Greg Shippen) (07/22/88)

I have a rather puzzling problem with my Mac Plus when attempting
to use it with a 2400 baud modem.  Because my Prometheus modem has the
LED lights on the front, I can tell that the time required for the data to
move across the phone line and thence to the Mac and the time to scroll the
data on the screen is *different*.  In short, I seem to be communicating
over the phone at 2400 baud, but the Mac appears to want to give it to me
at a significantly slower baud rate.  In a typical case, the data has finished
arriving over the phone several seconds before the scrolling stops on the
screen.  (Yes, I do have my terminal program set at 2400 baud.)

I have been using RedRyder (8.0), but the problem remains unchanged
using VersaTerm (1.0).  It seems clear that the data is being buffered
within the Mac, it just seems like the Mac can't update the screen fast
enough.  This was my reasoning until I discovered somebody here who was
using a Mac as a terminal at 9600 baud! Clearly, the Mac *can* keep up.

Can anybody diagnose my problem?  What am I doing to keep me from taking
full advantage of my 2400 baud modem?

To be specific about my setup, I am running a Mac plus with Rodime 20 plus.
I have Finder 6.0, System 4.2.  The system is rather large, as I have lots
of fonts added (it comes to 360K).  Also, I have installed two cdevs: Moire
and SoundMaster.  I have only a few of the usual DA's.

I have had the problem before installing the cdevs, so they do not appear to
be the problem.  Also, I tried using a old stripped down Finder (5.3) and
system.  This time the problem did seem to go away!  Naturally, I would
like to avoid having to use the old system just to use my modem.

--
================================= Greg Shippen ==============================
By phone: (408) 991-7727   By ARPANET: mips!greg@ames.arc.nasa.gov

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (07/22/88)

In article <2649@quacky.mips.COM> greg@mips.COM (Greg Shippen) writes:
>In short, I seem to be communicating
>over the phone at 2400 baud, but the Mac appears to want to give it to me
>at a significantly slower baud rate.  In a typical case, the data has finished
>arriving over the phone several seconds before the scrolling stops on the
>screen.  (Yes, I do have my terminal program set at 2400 baud.)
>
>I have been using RedRyder (8.0), but the problem remains unchanged
>using VersaTerm (1.0).

Update to VersaTerm 3.2 and throw away Red Ryder (even the latest version,
10.3, can barely keep up at 2400 baud, let alone 9600).

I use VersaTerm 3.2 at 4800 baud WITHOUT flow control (yes, I use emacs) and
I've never overrun VersTerm's buffer, nor has screen updating been anything
other than instantaneous.  In short, it's a great terminal emulator.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (07/25/88)

Red Ryder 9.4 or 10.3 have always kept up with 2400 for me (Mac+, 80meg HD)...
try either of those.  I know that Microphone II and a few other terminals use a
line buffer-- they only draw a line of text after either data has stopped
coming in or a CR has been sent (actually, it seems that incoming data
interrupts all redraws on some terminals-- this can be really annoying; if you
backspace at high speed, you can't see how far you have backspaced until you
let go of the backspace key).

From your description, it doesn't sound like anything nasty is installed (by
nasty, I mean anything that takes up a large amount of background or
_SystemTask time),  so it must be the terminals....

B.Bum

| Bill Bumgarner              | EMail: wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu          |
| Carnegie-Mellon University  |                                      |
| The box is ugly on a non mono-spaced font system.                  |