[comp.sys.mac] Mac II fan noise - an unauthorized solution

rdm@cfcl.UUCP (Rich Morin) (07/17/88)

As many of you may have noticed, the fan in the Mac II is *L*O*U*D*.  This
is either because the engineers assumed that the power supply would be used
at full power all the time, or perhaps because nobody realized someone would
be sitting next to the @#$%^ thing.

In any case, if you have the usual small number of cards in use, and feel
brave, a solution is at hand.  Here is a completely unauthorized hack which
will almost certainly break your warranty, but which may also save your sanity:

  1)	Go to your local Radio Shack and buy a 3" (80mm) DC BRUSHLESS FAN,
	catalog number 273-243A, list price $14.95

	This fan draws half the current of the old one, and no doubt pushes a
	bit less air.  It is also considerably quieter (one can actually
	hear the disk over it (!)).

  2)	Go home and find:

	a) A philips screwdriver
	b) a soldering iron and some solder and tape
	c) a pair of small diagonal cutting pliers
	d) a pair of long-nose pliers, preferably with quite skinny tips
	e) a small jar, to hold bunches of nuts, bolts, etc.

  2)	Power down the Mac II and related machinery, in some more or less
	graceful manner.

  3)	Pull off the cover of the Mac II and look inside.  On the left hand
	side is a shiny metal box (the power supply).  It is held in place
	by a single philips head screw, one or more external power cables,
	and an internal power cable.

  4)	Unplug the cables, remove the screw, and gently pull out the frobozz.
	(You may have to remove one or more circuit cards to do this - be
	gentle with them, and make notes about where they were and which
	cables they were using.)

  5)	Remove the two screws that hold on the cover, and gently pry off
	the cover, alternating sides until it comes off.

  6)	At one end, you will see the fan.  Just above it, you will see a
	set of wires leading out of the unit as the aforementioned internal
	power cable.  Clip the nylon tie that binds these wires to the fan.

  7)	There is a nylon clip holding the above wires.  Detach it from the
	binding post.

  8)	Unplug the fan, and clip the small nylon tie holding its wires.

  9)	Unbolt the fan and maneuver it out of the power supply.

 10)	Bolt the new fan back in place.  This is where the long-nose pliers
	come in, since there is no way to get fingers down into the space
	where the nuts go.  (The Panaflo fan used by the manufacturer has
	nuts built into it, but no such luck with the RS product...)

	The nuts from the old fan can be removed and reused with a little
	bit of effort (screw in a bolt and tap the nut loose by hitting the
	end of the bolt a few times), but you may just want to use some
	other nuts you have lying around.

	BTW, two bolts are plenty to hold the new fan in, if they are
	across the fan from each other.  (Don't kill yourself trying to
	use all four...)

 11)	Cut the plug off the old fan (~1.5" from the plug is fine), and
	attach it to the wires from the new fan, suitably shortened.  Wire
	red to red and black to blue, and tape everything up appropriately.

 12)	Remount the nylon clip, put the power supply cover back on, remount
	the power supply, plug everything back together, and try it out.
	Put your hand down by the airholes in the power supply, to make sure
	the new fan works...

Please note - do this at your own risk, flames to /dev/null, and don't post
albeit erratically).  Just thought this info might come in handy, is all...
--

  _ o  _ |_     _ _   _   _ o  _          Canta Forda Computer Laboratory

g-golub@rocky.cs.wisc.edu.CS.WISC.EDU (Joshua Golub) (07/18/88)

In article <309@cfcl.UUCP> rdm@cfcl.UUCP (Rich Morin) writes:

>As many of you may have noticed, the fan in the Mac II is *L*O*U*D*.  This
>
>In any case, if you have the usual small number of cards in use, and feel
>brave, a solution is at hand.  Here is a completely unauthorized hack which
>will almost certainly break your warranty, but which may also save your sanity:
>
>	This fan draws half the current of the old one, and no doubt pushes a
>	bit less air.  It is also considerably quieter (one can actually
>	hear the disk over it (!)).

    ( Hacking instructions deleted )

>Please note - do this at your own risk, flames to /dev/null, and don't post
>albeit erratically).  Just thought this info might come in handy, is all...

This is the third or fourth posting of fan replacement instructions, and no
one yet has mentioned the 'extra protection' Apple provides.  According
to my Mac II manual (the one labeled Macintosh II) the fan will work harder
if the machine gets hot.  (Check the 'troubleshooting' section under 'noisy
fan')  I'm assuming that there's a sensor which gives the fan a little more
power when it gets hot.  Now, I've never heard my fan speed up, it stays at
a nice, consistent level of loud, but it's nice to know that, if the back gets
clogged with dust (or whatever), I'll have some sort of warning.
   Have any of the fan-hackers tested this fan power increase with their
new fans?  Can I add some sort of LED to warn me when the Mac II gets hot,
and then go ahead and install a quiet fan?  Or should I try to keep dust
(or whatever) out of the case and pray. . .
   Yes, the fan is loud, and yes, it sits about a foot and a half away from
my head (next to, not under, the monitor) but I can still (barely) hear the
hard drive over it. . . what a pain.
   I should also point out that the power supply is a repair package, and if
something nasty does happen to the power supply, and you've torn out the
fan, that Apple won't fix it.  They will, of course, supply you with an
entirely new supply at about three times the cost of a return/repair.

-----------. . .
Does anyone want to be remembered?  I don't.

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (07/18/88)

In article <5998@spool.cs.wisc.edu> Joshua Golub writes:
|no one yet has mentioned the 'extra protection' Apple provides.  According
|to my Mac II manual the fan will work harder if the machine gets hot.
|   Have any of the fan-hackers tested this fan power increase with their
|new fans?  Can I add some sort of LED to warn me when the Mac II gets hot,
|and then go ahead and install a quiet fan?

I don't think the sort of an LED warning system is necessary.  As I
understand it, the Mac II has an temperature sensor which will automatically
cut power if the fan is unable to provide suffcient cooling.

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow          |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-607-272-8014   Address: 107 Catherine St, Ithaca NY 14850    |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

g-golub@rocky.cs.wisc.edu.CS.WISC.EDU (Joshua Golub) (07/19/88)

In article <5542@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) writes:
>In article <5998@spool.cs.wisc.edu> Joshua Golub writes:
>|no one yet has mentioned the 'extra protection' Apple provides.  According
>|to my Mac II manual the fan will work harder if the machine gets hot.

>I don't think the sort of an LED warning system is necessary.  As I
>understand it, the Mac II has an temperature sensor which will automatically
>cut power if the fan is unable to provide suffcient cooling.
>
>Christopher Chow

    Great, just what I want -- a nice, quietly running machine and then
>Click< Whinnnnneeeee. . . nothing.  My question still stands, is there a
way to have a quiet machine and keep that heat protection running.  I don't
have a lot of cards, but I have cats. (And cat hair clogs ventillation slits)

------------...
Still no .sig here.

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (07/19/88)

>As many of you may have noticed, the fan in the Mac II is *L*O*U*D*.  This
>is either because the engineers assumed that the power supply would be used
>at full power all the time, or perhaps because nobody realized someone would
>be sitting next to the @#$%^ thing.
>
>In any case, if you have the usual small number of cards in use, and feel
>brave, a solution is at hand.  Here is a completely unauthorized hack which
>will almost certainly break your warranty, but which may also save your sanity:

    [Bunch of stuff about E}zZl9tTKif~installing a new fan in your II]

   Simpler solution to then fan noise problem-----
      Put all the cards in your nu buss slots as far as possible from
  that side.

Pierce
wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu     Race For Space Grand Prize Winner.
   Useless Advice #986: Never sit on a Tack.

kucharsk@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski) (07/19/88)

I don't mean to flame, so please don't flame me...

But I don't think the Mac II fan is loud AT ALL.  To even be able to notice
such things, most of you must not spend much time around computers with fans
in them.  Or maybe I'm just used to the sound of the Kensington System Saver
I had on my ][+...

--
					William Kucharski

ARPA: kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com
UUCP: ...!{ames,decwrl,sun,uunet}!amdahl!kucharsk

Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed above are my own, and may not agree with
	     those of any other sentient being, not to mention those of my
	     employer.

schoaff@marduk.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Schoaff) (07/19/88)

In article <9aN1c3e0t11010l1MtQ@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kucharsk@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski) writes:
>I don't mean to flame, so please don't flame me...
>
>But I don't think the Mac II fan is loud AT ALL.  To even be able to notice
>such things, most of you must not spend much time around computers with fans
>in them.  Or maybe I'm just used to the sound of the Kensington System Saver
>I had on my ][+...

I'll go along with that. During the day I work next to two Symbolics 3620's
or some such, each with three big wire-meshed fans on the back. It's quite
a relief when I can come home to the quiet hum of my SE, MacBeth.
| P. Chris Schoaff | We are the coffee generation, we can't afford cocaine  |
|                  | We need a healthy dose to make it through the day      |
| schoaff@         | Don't Care about nuclear war or poverty or pain        |
|   cs.cornell.edu | We are the coffee generation and life is just a game.  |

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (07/19/88)

In article <9aN1c3e0t11010l1MtQ@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kucharsk@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski) writes:
-I don't mean to flame, so please don't flame me...

-But I don't think the Mac II fan is loud AT ALL.  To even be able to notice
-such things, most of you must not spend much time around computers with fans
-in them.  Or maybe I'm just used to the sound of the Kensington System Saver
-I had on my ][+...

I didn't think the Mac II was loud, either, until we replaced the fan.
...Does anyone have a fix for loud disks?   ;-)

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)

mls@whutt.UUCP (Michael Siemon) (07/21/88)

In article <19376@cornell.UUCP>, schoaff@marduk.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Schoaff)
writes:

> >But I don't think the Mac II fan is loud AT ALL.  To even be able to notice
> >such things, most of you must not spend much time around computers with fans
> >in them...
>
> I'll go along with that. During the day I work next to two Symbolics 3620's

Yes but consider the original Mac.  Just about its ONLY good point was its
silence, and that was indeed golden.  Consider the plight of the Mac musician;
pianissimo is inaudible.  I'm not sure I want to hack around in the innards
of my Mac, but I sure would appreciate something like the noise reduction
suggested by the fan-replacement postings.
--
Michael L. Siemon
contracted to AT&T Bell Laboratories

kucharsk@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski) (07/23/88)

In article <3602@whutt.UUCP> mls@whutt.UUCP (Michael Siemon) writes:
 >Yes but consider the original Mac.  Just about its ONLY good point was its
 >silence, and that was indeed golden.  Consider the plight of the Mac musician;
 >pianissimo is inaudible.  I'm not sure I want to hack around in the innards
 >of my Mac, but I sure would appreciate something like the noise reduction
 >suggested by the fan-replacement postings.

But most of the "rest of us" :-) would GLADLY put up with fan noise in
exchange for REAL keyboards... :-)

--

mls@mhuxu.UUCP (Michael Siemon) (07/25/88)

In article <9c0Qw66cSi1010oLN32@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, kucharsk@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski) writes:

> But most of the "rest of us" :-) would GLADLY put up with fan noise in
> exchange for REAL keyboards... :-)

Well, the fan sure beats having to pump bellows, but you're right -- I'd like
a double manual with pearwood naturals and ebony sharps/flats.  I never did
learn to use a pedal board, so I'll forgo that ... :-)