[comp.sys.mac] Hiding bold/italic fonts?

u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (L. Greg DeMichillie) (07/06/88)

I've seen this posted before, but I forgot, so here goes...

I just purchased several Adobe fonts.  They came with screen fonts for the
plain, bold, italic and bold italic versions.  I want to have those fonts
on my hard disk so that when I select italic from the style menu I get real
italic on the screen, but I don't want them cluttering up the font menu.  Is
there any way I can install these fonts without them appearing in the font
menu?  I seem to recall some sort of trick to do this, but I forgot the
details...

Thanks
-----
L. Greg DeMichillie
u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu
lgdemichillie@ucdavis
AppleLink: ST0178

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (07/06/88)

>I just purchased several Adobe fonts.  They came with screen fonts for the
>plain, bold, italic and bold italic versions.  I want to have those fonts
>on my hard disk so that when I select italic from the style menu I get real
>italic on the screen, but I don't want them cluttering up the font menu.  Is
>there any way I can install these fonts without them appearing in the font
>menu?  I seem to recall some sort of trick to do this, but I forgot the
>details...

It was detailed in MacWorld a few months back. Here's what yout do:

o make copies of your fonts
o put all of the fonts into a single suitcase
o open the suitcase with Resedit
o open the FOND
o for each FOND you want to hide:
o  click on the FOND name
o  select "Get Info"
o  rename the font so the first character is a "."
o  close the FOND
o close the FOND
o option-open the FONT
o for each name that you changed in the FOND:
o  click on the associated FONT
o  select "get info"
o  rename to match what you changed on the FOND side.
o  close the FONT
o close the suitcase and save your changes.

The period makes it go away. You can also rename fonts if you want so that
they are in a specific order (although programs that use fonts and store
them by name won't be able to find them in existing documents).

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

	Robert A. Heinlein: 1907-1988. He will never truly die as long as we
                           read his words and speak his name. Rest in Peace.

newbery@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Michael Newbery) (07/08/88)

What you REALLY want to do is turn the 'style' FONTs into NFNTs.

o Use Font/DA mover to move all the fonts into a suitcase
o Using ResEdit, delete the 'base' (style 0) fonts from the FONDs *and*
  the FONTs.
o "Open General" FONT. Delete all the named entries (The size 0 FONTs which
  give a family its name).
o Leave ResEdit
o Run your favourite hex editor, FEdit Plus say.
o Find the string "FONT" in your suitcase of fonts (it will be near the back).
  Change it to NFNT. You have just edited the resource map and changed the
  resource type.
o Using FONT/DA 3.8 or later (IMPORTANT!!! Earlier versions WILL NOT WORK!)
  copy the fonts back into the System. Voila! [3.8 comes with the System 6.0
  release.]

Now you SHOULD just be able to copy the fonts with Font/DA mover and it should
convert the FONTs to NFNTs for you, but this does not seem to happen.
(I just tried a test, turning some NFNTs back into named FONTs and seeing
what happened. FONT/DA mover did odd things with the result, so maybe I didn't
reverse the process quite well enough.)

Needless to say: BACK UP YOUR SYSTEM BEFORE YOU DO THIS!

Good luck
--
Michael Newbery<NEWBERY@rs1.vuw.ac.nz>

u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (L. Greg DeMichillie) (07/11/88)

In article <13934@comp.vuw.ac.nz> newbery@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Michael Newbery) writes:
>What you REALLY want to do is turn the 'style' FONTs into NFNTs.
>--
>Michael Newbery<NEWBERY@rs1.vuw.ac.nz>

OK, I need to change the FONTs to NFNTs.  After trying the posted instructions
AND reading the Font Manager chapter of IM Vol. 4, I was unable to to get
it to work.  Does anyone have suggestions on converting FONT resources into
NFNT resources?

Thanks

-----
L. Greg DeMichillie                    "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way"
u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu              - Jessica Rabbit
lgdemichillie@deneb.ucdavis.edu                "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"
AppleLink: ST0178

msurlich@immd1.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Matthias Urlichs ) (07/11/88)

In article <13934@comp.vuw.ac.nz> newbery@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Michael Newbery) writes:
< What you REALLY want to do is turn the 'style' FONTs into NFNTs.
<
Right!
< o Use Font/DA mover to move all the fonts into a suitcase
Don't; work with unmodified copies of the individual fonts
(there's just one font in each suitcase file)
< o Using ResEdit, delete the 'base' (style 0) fonts from the FONDs *and*
<   the FONTs.
If you use the original files, there won't be a base style FONT.
There will instead be at least two FONDs. Delete the "styled" one
(i.e. "I Bookman Italic") and leave the base FOND ("Bookman") alone.
< o "Open General" FONT. Delete all the named entries (The size 0 FONTs which
<   give a family its name).
< o Leave ResEdit
< o Run your favourite hex editor, FEdit Plus say.
< o Find the string "FONT" in your suitcase of fonts (it will be near the back).
<   Change it to NFNT. You have just edited the resource map and changed the
<   resource type.
< o Using FONT/DA 3.8 or later (IMPORTANT!!! Earlier versions WILL NOT WORK!)
<   copy the fonts back into the System. Voila! [3.8 comes with the System 6.0
<   release.]
<
< Now you SHOULD just be able to copy the fonts with Font/DA mover and it should
< convert the FONTs to NFNTs for you, but this does not seem to happen.
Since you actually converted FONT to NFNT with FEdit ...
<
< Needless to say: BACK UP YOUR SYSTEM BEFORE YOU DO THIS!
Exactly.

Keep in mind that you should NOT open the FOND resource, i.e. to change the
font's type from Italic to Bold (or from Plain to Bold, if the "general"
FOND resource isn't included). This is because information about width,
kerning, and so on, is hidden deep inside the table at the end of the FOND.

Someone writing a small program to do that?
<
< Good luck
< --
< Michael Newbery<NEWBERY@rs1.vuw.ac.nz>

Matthias Urlichs
--
Matthias Urlichs     CompuServe: 72437,1357  Delphi: URLICHS
Rainwiesenweg 9      Phone: +49+911-574180

lbaum@bcsaic.UUCP (Larry Baum) (07/15/88)

In article <467@faui44.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> m_urlichs@msn.rmi.de writes:

>> instructions correcting Michael Newbery's instructions:

I followed the instructions verbartim and got the following behaviour:

When I reentered the Font/DA Mover after changing "FONT" to "NFNT", for
each point size there were four identically named items which appeared in
different font styles; i.e. there were four items called Bookman 10, for example,
one was in plain style, one was italicized, etc.

When I installed these and printed a document using these fonts, the printer
was extremely slow (imagewriter), whereas when I switched to a different
font the printing resumed its normal speed.

bpja@munnari.oz (Brett P.J.Adam) (07/21/88)

Careful with all this changing of font names and resource types. I have found that MS-WORD (3.02) produces remarkably different line lengths for type set in the ACTUAL Bold (or other stylistic variation) and a 'boldened' font. I.e. If you choose the bold screen font you get different results from telling word to boldface the roman version. Problem may not be confined to word.

It would seem that what is happening is this:

Use the ACTUAL screen font for the Bold face and all the spacing info is availble to the Mac Font Manager.
Ask for the bold variation and DEPENDING on the software, you may get a CALCULATED bold, not the real thing. I guess it depends on how aware the application is of fonts available.

I have sample output from word to both a LaserWriter and Linotronic 300, using genuine Adobe fonts, both inbuilt and downloads.
This may not be an issue for some, but to those of us involved in high quality  typesetting applications from the ol' Mac, it is!

Brett Adam		bpja@munnari.oz

{ This knowledge my own - nothing to do with Melb. University }

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (07/22/88)

In article <2249@munnari.oz> bpja@munnari.oz (Brett P.J.Adam) writes:
>Careful with all this changing of font names and resource types. I have
>found that MS-WORD (3.02) produces remarkably different line lengths
>for type set in the ACTUAL Bold (or other stylistic variation) and a
>'boldened' font. I.e. If you choose the bold screen font you get
>different results from telling word to boldface the roman version.
>Problem may not be confined to word.

I've noticed that the FOND definitions for the LaserWriter fonts
(including Times, Helvetica, etc.) have a positive value ("$0155") for
the "Extra Width for Bold" field.  They have a zero value for both
"Extra Width for Italic" and "Extra Width for Underline".  What doesn't
make sense about this is that bold type (like italic and underlined
type) on the LaserWriter takes up *no* more room than plain type (at
least in the standard LaserWriter fonts).

So why does Apple include extra space for bold type?  It looks better
on the screen, but as you say, once things get printed out it looks
weird and things may not line up as expected.

This has been true for a long time, although I seem to remember that
when the LaserWriter was first released, the screen versions of the
LaserWriter fonts had no extra width for bold type; I know I thought it
was cool that when you selected "Bold" in MacWrite the spacing on the
screen didn't change (a departure from the behavior of all the
ImageWriter fonts I'd been using).

Can anyone (especially from Apple) comment on this?

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

u545731798ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (L. Greg DeMichillie) (07/22/88)

Since I made my original posting about hiding fonts, the rather obvious
thought occurred to me: Why doesn't Adobe distrubute the stylized fonts
as NFNT resources in the first place?  This would save us all the difficulty
of trying to convert.  I know that NFNTs were introduced in the 128K ROMs,
but how difficult would it be to put two versions on the disk? (sheesh...)

But, then again, Adobe just got around to removing that damned copy protection
system so I may be asking a bit much....

-----

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (07/22/88)

>Since I made my original posting about hiding fonts, the rather obvious
>thought occurred to me: Why doesn't Adobe distrubute the stylized fonts
>as NFNT resources in the first place?

A couple of reasons:

o While NFNT has been supported for a while, it wasn't until FDAM 3.8 that
  there was an installer that supported it. Unless you've upgraded to
  System 6.0, you don't have FDAM 3.8.

o If you buy Adobe fonts, you'll see they still come on 400K MFS disks.

Actually, these two points are aspects of the same thing: compatibility. The
Adobe disks are set up so that anyone on a Mac can make use of them with
standard tools. To upgrade to 800K disks and NFNT's, they would have had to
either write their own installer (most folks, myself included, would not
want to muck with Resedit to get things installed) or find some other way of
getting the bitmaps into the System file. They would also have to either
toss out part of the market or come up with some way of getting the fonts to
folks with 400K disks.

You can argue that folks who are still stuck with 400K disks aren't going to
be spending a lot of money on their Macintoshes, so why bother with them?
You'd be right, too. (I actually saw a book last night that claims that 80%
of Macintoshes now have hard disks attached to them!). At the same time,
though, the 400K disk is a strong statement towards compatibility towards
all Mac's, and that is a good explanation of why they haven't gone to
NFNT's.

Now, perhaps Adobe could be convinced to upgrade the bitmaps on CompuServe
et all to the new format, so those of us who want them can get to them....

--
Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

I don't work for no 'Toon!

briand@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (07/26/88)

>>Why doesn't Adobe distrubute the stylized fonts
>>as NFNT resources in the first place?
>
>A couple of reasons:
>
>o If you buy Adobe fonts, you'll see they still come on 400K MFS disks.

I recently received the entire Stone package from Adobe.  Two of the boxes
contained a single 800K disk.  One box contained two 400K disks, one with
screen fonts and the other with PS and AFM files.  The 800K packages mixed
all the screen fonts into a single screen font file, the 400K package had
3 screen font files for the various flavors.

The point is, that even Adobe is recognizing that nobody much uses 400K disks
any more.  I was given no option of 400K or 800K disks, it wasn't mentioned
when I ordered.  I presume that I could, at need, call back Adobe and swap for
400K disks, but I'm not certain.

But seriously, who is going to be doing relatively sophisticated work such as
driving a LW and using purchased fonts, and still be using an old-ROM Mac?

--
-Brian Diehm     (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply)
Tektronix, Inc.