[comp.sys.mac] Mouse cleaners

ll12+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laura Ann Lemay) (07/15/88)

I need a good heavy-duty machine that will clean the muck off the little
rollers inside an ADB or ordinary mouse.

Alcolhol and diligence will not do it, we're talking massive amounts of dirt
and sticky things here.  Picking it off works, but the problem is I'm asking
this on behalf of Carnegie Mellon Academic Computing which owns upwards of 90
SEs and plusses, none of whose mice have ever been cleaned (sigh).  We figure
a machine that can do it will be well worth the investment.

I've heard of kensingtons mouse cleaner, and one called somthing 360, but I
need feedback!  Do they work?

-Laura Lemay
CMU Academic Computing Mac Person

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (07/18/88)

In article <digest.8WrwACy00Ukc40T6cw@andrew.cmu.edu> ll12+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laura Ann Lemay) writes:

>I need a good heavy-duty machine that will clean the muck off the little
>rollers inside an ADB or ordinary mouse.

Why don't you try taking a mouse to a jeweler, and having them use their
ultrasonic cleaner on it.  The cleaning solution shouldn't damage the case
or the chips, and it may just do the trick.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)

Disclaimer:  Don't blame me if it doesn't work! I don't let my mice get that
  gunked up!

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (07/18/88)

In article <digest.8WrwACy00Ukc40T6cw@andrew.cmu.edu> ll12+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laura Ann Lemay) writes:

>I need a good heavy-duty machine that will clean the muck off the little
>rollers inside an ADB or ordinary mouse.
>

>Alcolhol and diligence will not do it, we're talking massive amounts of dirt
>and sticky things here.  Picking it off works, but the problem is I'm asking
>this on behalf of Carnegie Mellon Academic Computing which owns upwards of 90
>SEs and plusses, none of whose mice have ever been cleaned (sigh).  We figure
>a machine that can do it will be well worth the investment.
>

>-Laura Lemay
>CMU Academic Computing Mac Person

	Having once worked for CMU Academic Computing, I appreciate the
magnitude of the problem; I use the Ergotron Mouse Cleaner 360 (look
in the computer store); it's the finest mouse cleaner I've seen.

	A side bous is that it can also be used to clean the mice attached
to the IBM RT's in the various  Andrew  workstation clusters.

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Symantec/THINK Technologies
(Former CMU Student and CMU/AC employee)

keeshu@nikhefk.UUCP (Kees Huyser) (07/18/88)

#In article <digest.8WrwACy00Ukc40T6cw@andrew.cmu.edu> ll12+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laura Ann Lemay) writes:
#
#I need a good heavy-duty machine that will clean the muck off the little
#rollers inside an ADB or ordinary mouse.

While it's not a heavy-duty machine, Tacklind Design's RealClean(tm)
mouse cleaning kit does a remarkable job. It is a small box in which you will
find a RealClean roller tool, a bottle of roller cleaning solution,
non-conductive tweezers and pictorial instructions.

I use it regularly to clean ~40 mice and it works fine.

Tacklind Design, Inc. can be found at
250 Cowper Street, Palo Alto, CA 94301

--Kees
(no connection with Tacklind Design, other than as a satisfied user of their
products).
-----
| UUCP   : keeshu@nikhefk.uucp  or {[wherever]!uunet}!mcvax!nikhefk!keeshu
| SNAIL  : Kees Huyser, NIKHEF-K, PO Box 4395, 1009 AJ Amsterdam, Netherlands
|		Mac programmers do it with a Manager
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

brewer@clio.las.uiuc.edu (07/19/88)

	I have a MouseCleaner 360. The ball does not fit in the mouse cavity
that came with my Mac II. Does anyone know why Apple changed the size of the
mouse ball? To be obnoxious?

	I also have some flames about the new ADB mice. They suck compared to
an old Mac Plus mouse with special teflon feet (my MacII's mouse teflon looks
like it was sprayed on and will come off any minute). Also the ball sheds like
a #$&(#$&!! I have had to clean it twice in about 3 weeks (note that I am
working in a relatively clean environment, on a slick plastic mouse pad, sans
cats)! I cleaned my Mac+'s rollers about once every 3 or 4 months...I guess
they don't build things like they used to...

Robert Brewer
    brewer@clio.las.uiuc.edu
    {ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!brewer

dorner@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu (07/20/88)

>	I also have some flames about the new ADB mice.

I've seen 2 kinds of ADB mice.  One has metal rollers; the other has plastic
rollers (except for the tension roller).  The metal rollers stay nice and
clean (cleaned mine once in about 9 months).  The plastic rollers are horrible,
just like they are in my non-ADB mouse.

But heck, Apple is probably saving a half cent by using plastic rollers
instead of metal rollers, thereby avoiding a $700 price increase for ADB mice
(counting normal mark-up, of course :-().

----
Internet: dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 333-3339

rmf@actnyc.UUCP (Robert M. Fuhrer) (07/20/88)

In article <digest.8WrwACy00Ukc40T6cw@andrew.cmu.edu> ll12+@andrew.cmu.edu (Laura Ann Lemay) writes:

>I've heard of kensingtons mouse cleaner, and one called somthing 360...

That wouldn't be an IBM 360, would it (8^))... I knew they were good for
*something*...

--
The Foundation for Unmitigated Sillyness		uunet!actnyc!rmf
Department of Redundancy Department

bayes@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (07/21/88)

>>	I also have some flames about the new ADB mice.
>
>I've seen 2 kinds of ADB mice.  One has metal rollers; the other has plastic
>rollers (except for the tension roller).  The metal rollers stay nice and
>clean (cleaned mine once in about 9 months).  The plastic rollers are horrible,
>just like they are in my non-ADB mouse.

But here in sunny Colorado, my metal-roller ADB mouse needs a cleaning once a
week, or I get this horrible black gunk bouncing the ball like crazy. The
plastic "bogey" roller never gets dirty. Do we have different kinds of dirt
around. I also use a reasonable slick mouse pad.

[...]

>----
>Steve Dorner, U of Illinois Computing Services Office
>Internet: dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
>IfUMust:  (217) 333-3339

Scott Bayes

phgun@violet.berkeley.edu (Himawan GUNADHI) (07/22/88)

In article <17000122@clio> brewer@clio.las.uiuc.edu writes:

>	I have a MouseCleaner 360. The ball does not fit in the mouse cavity
>that came with my Mac II. Does anyone know why Apple changed the size of the
>mouse ball? To be obnoxious?

Possibly. I bought the 360 too, and had to return it after
struggling to get the damn ball to fit into the cavity
(almost smashed the damn thing).

>	I also have some flames about the new ADB mice. They suck compared to
>an old Mac Plus mouse with special teflon feet (my MacII's mouse teflon looks
>like it was sprayed on and will come off any minute). Also the ball sheds like
>a #$&(#$&!! I have had to clean it twice in about 3 weeks (note that I am
>working in a relatively clean environment, on a slick plastic mouse pad, sans
>cats)! I cleaned my Mac+'s rollers about once every 3 or 4 months...

I had the same exact experiences.
In fact I wrote to Apple twice on this issue-
it's the thing that's got me most upset about my Mac II. First the
mouse came prepackaged with a whole load of grit on it! It often
refused to respond to my actions at all
(esp when you are trying to drag it
after making a selection). I also use a fast pad.
It took me a few cleaning sessions before it became dirt free, but
in a matter of days it got dirty again.
But the lowpoint was when I compared the new mouse to
those found in the SE (I had a couple at home then).
They have the same basic ADB mouse design as the II,
except that the cavity is larger (as in the +), the ball heavier
and not sticky, the inside rollers are 2 steel and one plastic (as
opposed to little spindly plastic ones in the II), and the teflon
feet is also far superior. In fact my cover doesn't even fit
properly. I noticed too that compared to the SE's mouse, mine has
a seemingly more fragile and unnecessarily complicated construction
around the cavity. The button sucks too- really stiff.

>... I guess
>they don't build things like they used to...

Of course not, when you start making them in Taiwan (they used to
be made here). It's not that I object to cheaper costs, it's the
lower quality for higher profits that I dislike.
It's all very well if the imported mouse had the same performance
as the old one, but it's clearly inferior. I thought at first mine
was defective, but I guess it's the new standard. It has certainly
impaired my ability to improve upon my Crystal Quest scores :-).
And someone says that Apple charges over $100 for a replacement.
What a laugh! I am seriously looking at the A+ optical mouse.
---Himawan Gunadhi
   ARPA: phgun@violet.berkeley.edu
   UUCP: ...!ucbvax!jade!violet!phgun
   BITNET: phgun@ucbviolet.bitnet

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) (07/22/88)

From article <12383@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, by phgun@violet.berkeley.edu (Himawan GUNADHI):
> But the lowpoint was when I compared the new mouse to
> those found in the SE (I had a couple at home then).
> They have the same basic ADB mouse design as the II,
> except that the cavity is larger (as in the +), the ball heavier
> and not sticky, the inside rollers are 2 steel and one plastic (as
> opposed to little spindly plastic ones in the II), and the teflon
> feet is also far superior. In fact my cover doesn't even fit
> properly. I noticed too that compared to the SE's mouse, mine has
> a seemingly more fragile and unnecessarily complicated construction
> around the cavity. The button sucks too- really stiff.

It isn't that simple.  2 months ago, I got a mac II with the heavy mouse.
Earlier this week, I got in 16 Mac SEs.  Some of them had the heavy mouse,
and some had the light mice.

--
          William C. DenBesten |       denbeste@bgsu.edu
      Dept of Computer Science | CSNET denbeste%andy.bgsu.edu@relay.cs.net

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (07/25/88)

>>      I also have some flames about the new ADB mice. They suck compared to
>> an old Mac Plus mouse with special teflon feet (my MacII's mouse teflon looks
>> like it was sprayed on and will come off any minute). Also the ball sheds
like
>> a #$&(#$&!! I have had to clean it twice in about 3 weeks (note that I am
>> working in a relatively clean environment, on a slick plastic mouse pad, sans
>> cats)! I cleaned my Mac+'s rollers about once every 3 or 4 months...I guess
>> they don't build things like they used to...
You could always get one of the adapters that let you connect a plus mouse to
ADB or vice versa.
B.Bum

+-----------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Bill Bumgarner              | EMail: wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu          |
| Carnegie-Mellon University  |                                      |
+-----------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| The box is ugly on a non mono-spaced font system.                  |

wiedmann@eos.UUCP (Christian Wiedmann) (07/26/88)

Isn't that black gunk that builds up on the rollers the same gunk which
you find on steering wheels on cars and other places which come in contact
with hands extensively? My theory is that if your mouse using style doesn't
include resting your hand on the desk while you slide, your mouse will stay
cleaner. The gunk is simply skin flakes, grease, and sweat compacted into
an appetizing paste by the mouse roller:-). In other words, maybe the smaller
mouse just makes you rest more of your hand on the desk, causing greater gunk
buildup.
	-Christian
--
ARPANet:wiedmann@eos.arc.nasa.gov
UUCP: who knows!eos!wiedmann

rdsesq@Jessica.stanford.edu (Rob Snevely) (07/26/88)

For those of you that are sick to death of cleaning mice.
FELIX! by lightgate is excellent. It is a optical input device that
is sealed no need to clean. It takes up less desk space and is excellent.
It is already out for the 512 and Plus. The ADB ver should be out soon.
for a review check out MACUSER Desktop enginerring issue. I used on on my DOS
machine and it was excellent and cannot wait for the adb to hook up to my MAC.

rob snevely     (rdsesq@jessica.stanford.edu)