[comp.sys.mac] 20 mb hard disk

fink@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jerry Fink - MACC & School of Nursing) (07/22/88)

I have a Mac SE 20 mb hard disk. The hard disk had been working fine
until one day the Mac was powered up and the system refused to recognize
the existence of the hard disk. I've tried using several hard disk utilities
but to no avail. Is there any way short of re-initializing the hard
disk solve this problem.

           Thanks,

                fink@vms.macc.wisc.edu

wizard@juniper.uucp (John Onorato) (07/23/88)

In article <487@dogie.edu> fink@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jerry Fink - MACC & School of Nursing) writes:
>I have a Mac SE 20 mb hard disk. The hard disk had been working fine
>until one day the Mac was powered up and the system refused to recognize
>the existence of the hard disk. I've tried using several hard disk utilities
>but to no avail. Is there any way short of re-initializing the hard
>disk solve this problem.

Well... it sounds like you have a similar problem to the one that I had a
while ago with my Rodime 20 meg external.  It worked fine for a while,
and then it just pooped out on me... it wouldn't work at all.  My Mac
wouldn't even recognise its existance (like what heppened to you).
Unfortunately, I have bad news for you... I had to send my drive back
to Rodime to get a replacement.  It will be a little harder in your case,
as yours in internal... I'd suggest going back to your dealer and getting
another Mac (if possible).

BTW, I had surmised that it was an interface problem... there didn't seem to
be anything wrong with the disk (when it was working right), but after about
a half hour of use, it stopped working.

wizard

--
|--------------------|------------------------------| Joy is in the
|wizard@juniper.UUCP | juniper!wizard@emx.utexas.edu|   ears that hear...
|juniper!wizard      | ut-emx!juniper!wizard        |
|--------------------|------------------------------| -- Stephen R Donaldson

dumesny@batcomputer.UUCP (07/23/88)

In article <487@dogie.edu> fink@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jerry Fink - MACC & School of Nursing) writes:
>I have a Mac SE 20 mb hard disk. The hard disk had been working fine
>until one day the Mac was powered up and the system refused to recognize
>the existence of the hard disk. I've tried using several hard disk utilities
>but to no avail. Is there any way short of re-initializing the hard
>disk solve this problem.
>
>           Thanks,

Did you try erasing the Pram (parameter ram).  Those Pram hold some information
about your drive and maybe that's why it won't boot..  To do this hold down
option-command-shift and choose the controle panel.

If that is not the problem, I would strongly recomand getting Symantec
Utilities for the mac (or SUM).  This is a great program to have anyway..

Hope this helped.
Alain----

msf1537@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (07/24/88)

>I have a Mac SE 20 mb hard disk. The hard disk had been working fine
>until one day the Mac was powered up and the system refused to recognize
>the existence of the hard disk. I've tried using several hard disk utilities
>but to no avail. Is there any way short of re-initializing the hard
>disk solve this problem.

"Fink",

	Does the system completely refuse to acknowledge the hard disk, or is
it just failing to boot from it?  I.e. if you boot from a floppy, does the
"Hard Disk" icon appear at top right below the floppy disk icon?  If this is
the case, then your hard disk is fine; it's the System file that is damaged.
You can fix this problem by replacing the System file on the hard disk with the
System file on the floppy you are booting from now; however, this will wipe out
all of the fonts, desk accessories, FKEYs, and any other "custom" modifications
you have made to the System file on your hard disk.  Try running the Installer
program on the System Tools disk that came with the Mac, and if that doesn't
work, then use Font/DA Mover to put the fonts and DAs from your hard disk into
temporary files, replace the System file, and then reinstall the fonts and DA's.

	If this is not the problem, and the hard disk simply does not show up
AT ALL, then you have a hardware problem, and I can't help you.

	Good luck, and you can e-mail me with questions; I am also using an SE
with Apple's internal 20mb hard disk.

  Scott Forbes		|	UUCP:	uunet!uiucuxc!uxf!msf1537
   Univ. of Illinois	|   Internet:	msf1537@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu
    at Urbana/Champaign	|
			|    US Mail:	311 E. Armory
  "Is this thing on???"	|		Champaign, IL  61820

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (07/24/88)

In article <46700039@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu>, msf1537@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> >I have a Mac SE 20 mb hard disk. The hard disk had been working fine
> >until one day the Mac was powered up and the system refused to recognize
> >the existence of the hard disk. I've tried using several hard disk utilities
> >but to no avail. Is there any way short of re-initializing the hard
> >disk solve this problem.

> 	Does the system completely refuse to acknowledge the hard disk, or is
> it just failing to boot from it?

> 	If this is not the problem, and the hard disk simply does not show up
> AT ALL, then you have a hardware problem, and I can't help you.

when I encounter a hard-disk which doesn't want to mount after I boot from
a floppy and try to mount it with the help of the CDEV SCSI-Bus-1.0, I pull
out MacZap-Tools-5.1 and use it (and it's built-in SCSI-driver) to access
the disk, after which it shows up on the desktop when I quit Zap-Tools,
IFF I was able to access the disk with ZAP-Tools ... which is usually the
case.  I then back things up (if they weren't already), run DiskFirstAid and
MacExpress (I think there are some other useful programs I have not become
familiar with yet), and whatever other analyzing tools the disk came with ...

My Dataframe has shown these symptoms for quite some time now and I suspect
a transient failure in the boot-blocks (or some other critical area).

SUM (the successor of ZAP) may also have this ability to revive disks with
unusable SCSI-drivers, but I have not bothered to search for it, given that
ZAP-Tools does the trick for me ...

This sounds like a good time and reason to take out a pen and paper
and write a letter to Apple asking them when they will follow the lead of
Jasmine and provide some usefull Hard-Disk recovery tools and instructions.

Don't tell Apple how much you enjoy practicing your manual writing skills
again ... that would be counter-productive ....(-:
--
-------------------->PREFERED-RETURN-ADDRESS-FOLLOWS<---------------------
(INTERNET)	werner%rascal.ics.utexas.edu@cs.utexas.edu

clive@drutx.ATT.COM (Clive Steward) (07/28/88)

From article <3234@juniper.uucp>, by wizard@juniper.UUCP:

> Well... it sounds like you have a similar problem to the one that I had a
> while ago with my Rodime 20 meg external.  It worked fine for a while,
> and then it just pooped out on me... it wouldn't work at all.  My Mac
> wouldn't even recognise its existance (like what heppened to you).
> Unfortunately, I have bad news for you... I had to send my drive back
> to Rodime to get a replacement.

And my PCPC MacBottom 45mb Rodime just did exactly the same trick.
Right in the middle of a session, spooled itself down, and never came
back.  Luckily I had a very recent backup.

PCPC with their usual excellent service had the box back to me in 2
working days.  With a Seagate drive in it.

Clive Steward