[comp.sys.mac] Where can I find a quick&dirty serial printer driver?

alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (07/27/88)

I have a highly non-standard serial printer (PrinterProducts model 720 point-
of-sale) which I must connect to a MacPlus (actually, five printers and five
Pluses...)

I would like a bare-bones serial driver which will just let me pass through
any ascii character to the printer. Eventually I will need to read information
back from the printer but I can worry about that later. The question is, does
anyone sell such a driver? Is there one in the Publlic Domain, or is there a
shareware one?

If not, I will write it myself. Writing a standard Printer Driverfor the Mac
is suppoesed to be a horrendous task, but this shouldn't be so tough, as it
need only accept draft-mode stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how
to begin? How about source code (I speak Pascal, C, Assembly, others).

Thanks in advance

----
Alexis Rosen                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Writing from                                {harpo,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!alexis
The Big Electric Cat                  {portal,well,sun}!hoptoad/
Public UNIX                         if mail fails: ...cmcl2!cucard!cunixc!abr1
Best path: uunet!dasys1!alexis

Mark_Peter_Cookson@cup.portal.com (07/28/88)

Have you tried making a cable and then printing in draft (fastest) mode?  If
so what happens?  After that you need to ask someone with driver experience...

Mark

kwan@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Andrew Kwan) (07/28/88)

In article <5760@dasys1.UUCP> alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>I would like a bare-bones serial driver which will just let me pass through
>any ascii character to the printer. Eventually I will need to read information
>back from the printer but I can worry about that later. The question is, does
>anyone sell such a driver? Is there one in the Publlic Domain, or is there a
>shareware one?

Earle Horton presented one in MacTutor magazine, December 1987 (?) issue.
MacTutor sells the sources for a minimal cost on disk (the source code is
in the magazine, too).

Andrew Kwan