[comp.sys.mac] Symbolic Equation Solvers

UOO@PSUVM.BITNET (07/26/88)

Has anyone heard of Maple, Maxima, or any other Symbolic Equation Solvers?
Or where could I find info on them?

Jean Thompson

dsimkins@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (07/27/88)

There is a program called Mathematica from Wolfram Research Inc. that runs
on Mac II's, Pluses and SE's.  The version for the II runs $795, and $495
for the others.  The program is quite powerful, it is its own language, so
building special purpose routines is easy.

For more info, contact

Wolfram Research, Inc.
P.O. Box 6059
Champaign, IL 61821
217-398-0700

gae@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (07/27/88)

In article <46100193@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> dsimkins@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>There is a program called Mathematica from Wolfram Research Inc. that runs
>on Mac II's, Pluses and SE's.  The version for the II runs $795, and $495
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>for the others.

But not with one megabyte RAM.

--
  Gerald A. Edgar                               TS1871@OHSTVMA.bitnet
  Department of Mathematics                     gae@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu

jdm@ut-emx.UUCP (Jim Meiss) (07/27/88)

>In article <46100193@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> dsimkins@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>There is a program called Mathematica from Wolfram Research Inc. that runs
>>on Mac II's, Pluses and SE's.  The version for the II runs $795, and $495
>
>But not with one megabyte RAM.
	      ^^^
		In fact you must have 2, and really need 2.5Meg!!!
Note that nowhere in the ads for this product, nor on the package
does it mention this!!!!

	Furthermore, with Mathematica comes only a short manual on
the Mac interface, and no description of the "kernal" which is what
you really use. This means you have to go to Addison Wesley and spend
another $30 or so to get the book Mathematica by Wolfram. I think
this is really cheesy. When you spend $500 for a software package
you expect the manual to come with it. In my opinion, Mathematica is
practically unusable without the manual.
	Now I should be careful to say that there is extensive online
help in Mathematica, and this seems very nicely implemented, and for
all I know has all the information in there. But I simply can't find
a list of functions, for example, with their arguments.

	So the moral is, if you order this package, complain to
Wolfram research about this!

				Jim Meiss
		 		jdm@emx.utexas.edu
				jdm%uta.MFENET@nmfecc.ARPA

chn@a.lanl.gov (Charles Neil) (07/28/88)

In article <683@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu>, gae@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) writes:
> In article <46100193@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> dsimkins@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
. >
. >There is a program called Mathematica from Wolfram Research Inc. that runs
. >on Mac II's, Pluses and SE's.  The version for the II runs $795, and $495
.     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
. >for the others.
.
. But not with one megabyte RAM.

I would like to see responses from owners of Mathematica in either
of its incarnations ($495 or $795) regarding how it compares in its
symbolic manipulation with other software, such as MACSYMA.  As far
as I know, Mathematica is the only commercial symbolic manipulator
that's been ported to the mac.
--

Charlie Neil (chn@lanl.gov)
Los Alamos National Laboratory (505) 665-0978

gz@spt.entity.com (Gail Zacharias) (07/28/88)

Macsyma can be brought up on the Mac relatively easily.  I did just that last
week (under Coral's Allegro CL), and will try to clean up my mods and make
them available for inclusion into the DOE Macsyma distribution as soon as I
get some more time to play with it.  However, a fully loaded Macsyma just
barely fits on a 4Meg Mac (it runs, but gc's a lot).  It should be possible to
make it fit more comfortably in 4Meg by reviving the old autoloading scheme,
but that's probably the best that can be done with currently available Lisp
technology.  So if you're looking for something in the 2Meg range, forget
Macsyma.

--
gz@entity.com					        ...!mit-eddie!spt!gz
		Sex is the mathematics urge sublimated

gae@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (07/28/88)

In article <635@a.lanl.gov> chn@a.lanl.gov (Charles Neil) writes:

>As far as I know, Mathematica is the only commercial symbolic manipulator
>that's been ported to the mac.
>--
Maple runs on the Mac.  And it runs quite well with only one megabyte RAM.
--
  Gerald A. Edgar                               TS1871@OHSTVMA.bitnet
  Department of Mathematics                     gae@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu
  The Ohio State University                     gae@osupyr.UUCP
  Columbus, OH 43210                            70715,1324  CompuServe

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (07/28/88)

   Ron Avitzur at stanford has also written a simple symbolic manuipulator
called Milo, its due to be released in time for MacWorld. It is very nice and
very useful as scratch paper, it can also graph functions (both parametric and
f(x)), and you can paste your resulting graphs and equations into other programs. Its very useful for doing grunge, but its not very good at esoteric stuff
like smart integration etc. (This is for version 0.84 your mileage may very.)
 There used to be a pre-release version on sumex-aim, be forewarned that that
version was very early on and the new release is much better & stable.

 If the street price is less then $200 is qujite definitely worth the money if
only for its equation and graphing facilities.

Pierce
wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu     Race For Space Grand Prize Winner.
   Useless Advice #986: Never sit on a Tack.

flip@pixar.UUCP (Flip Phillips) (07/28/88)

In article <683@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> gae@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (Gerald Edgar) writes:
>In article <46100193@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> dsimkins@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>There is a program called Mathematica from Wolfram Research Inc. that runs
>>on Mac II's, Pluses and SE's.  The version for the II runs $795, and $495
[...]
>But not with one megabyte RAM.

Here's the scoop on Mathmatica:
Mathmatica consists of a kernel and a front end. It is available on a
veratible plethora of machines. (Sun, Mac, SGI, Apollo, Cray soon, etc)
The two parts are seprable, that is, you can run the kernal on your
cray and your front end on the Mac... If you're doing this youCAN
run the front end in 1 meg on a mac plus,se,ii. If you want to run
both the kernaal and thge front end on the mac they suggest you have at
least 2.5 meg. I suggest a minimum of 4meg.

It is a great program, the new release for the Mac has one
of the best user interfaces for any program I've seen.
A good help system, a 'Why the beep?' menu item which tells you why
the last error occurred and when it happened. really hip.

If you want to learn more about it, pick up a copy of
'Mathmatica' at you local book store or from Addison Wesley.
This book is the 'kernal manual' which isn't included when you
buy the actual software. I guess they did this because there
is one kernal and several front ends.

--
Flip Phillips                                        {sun | ucbvax}!pixar!flip
Pixar - Marin County, California