[comp.sys.mac] Software updates - do they exist?

olle@isagel.sunet.se (Olle Nilsson at ISAGEL.SUNET.SE) (07/20/88)

Some questions about software updates.

1. Superpaint. I have a version (1986 1.0/SE) that doesn't support more then 2
bit screen mapping. If I use the MacII colour screen in 256 bit mode I get four
small windows on the upper part of the screen with a lot of garbage in them (no
picture). Not satisfactory at all. The problem is fixed if you turn your screen
to 2 bit mode but I want colours. What is the latest version? Is it MacII
compatible? What else has been added/changed?

2. Ready Set Go. I have a version (1985,1986 3/SE) Any update news at all?
Or is this software totally dead compared to PageMaker and Xpress?

I have purchased a number of common programs from various Swedish sources, and
always posted my registration papers, but NEVER got ANY updates. Is this
unusual? Does any one else in Sweden or AnyWhere recognise this problem? From
what I have seen in this newsgroup, not all are satisfied with the update
deliveries. I most certainly am NOT. Do better, all you software companies that
read this.

   ____    . Olle Nilsson
  /   /    . Dept. of Molecular Biology, University of Stockholm, Sweden
 /___/ o   . OLLE@ISAGEL.SUNET.SE (@SEKTH.BITNET)

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (07/24/88)

>1. Superpaint. I have a version (1986 1.0/SE) that doesn't support more then 2
>bit screen mapping. If I use the MacII colour screen in 256 bit mode I get four
>small windows on the upper part of the screen with a lot of garbage in them (no
>picture). Not satisfactory at all. The problem is fixed if you turn your screen
>to 2 bit mode but I want colours. What is the latest version? Is it MacII
>compatible? What else has been added/changed?

This is the current version. An update (SuperPaint II) is scheduled for late
this year, and will be MacII and Color compatible.

>2. Ready Set Go. I have a version (1985,1986 3/SE) Any update news at all?

The current version is 4.0a, and it's a great program. I use it for
OtherRealms and all sort of other layout situations. 4.0a was released in
May.

>I have purchased a number of common programs from various Swedish sources, and

I don't know about Sweden, but it's not typical in America. Especially these
two companies (Silicon Beach and Letraset) -- they're quite good at keeping
their customers informed on things. Not all software companies are quite
this good about it, of course... But there are some that inundate me with
paper....

--
Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

I don't work for no 'Toon!

dcc@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Daniel Carr) (07/25/88)

In article <139@isagel.sunet.se> olle@isagel.sunet.se (Olle Nilsson at ISAGEL.SUNET.SE) writes:
>Some questions about software updates.
>
>1. Superpaint. I have a version (1986 1.0/SE) that doesn't support more then 2
>bit screen mapping. If I use the MacII colour screen in 256 bit mode I get four
>small windows on the upper part of the screen with a lot of garbage in them (no
>picture). Not satisfactory at all. The problem is fixed if you turn your screen
>to 2 bit mode but I want colours. What is the latest version? Is it MacII
>compatible? What else has been added/changed?

i talked to silicon beach software about a week or two ago.  version 1.1 or
1.2 (i forget) is available.  the only changes in that i think are to
support the newer laserwriter drivers and multifinder.

version 2.0 should be out in september, according to silicon beach software.
it will support color mode on the macII, plus it will have a whole bunch of
new goodies.

daniel carr
<i in no way represent silicon beach software>

      _|   _   __       _  |            netoprdc @ ncsuvm.BITNET
     <_|  <_|  | |  |  <'  |		d.c.carr @ GEnie

prince@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Larry Prince) (07/25/88)

]
]This is the current version. An update (SuperPaint II) is scheduled for late
]this year, and will be MacII and Color compatible.
]
Wellll ... I have Superpaint 1.1 which is MacII compatible (but only runs in
the 2 color/2 grays -- i.e. black-and-white -- mode).  It does have limited
color printing capabilities -- select "show color palette" from the Options
menu.

		    UCLA Computer Science Department
   -- Larry         3413 Boelter Hall   Los Angeles 90024  (213) 825-2145
	 Prince     UUCP:    {ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!prince
		    ARPAnet:  prince@CS.UCLA.EDU

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (07/26/88)

RSG 4.0a?????? Released in May 1988???? I never received a notice of a recent
upgrade. I have been using RSG since vers 2.1 & it keeps getting better.
What is the differences between vers 4.0a & 4.0?? How much is the upgrade?
Since the version number is the same, I assume that this is a minor upgrade.

TeriAnn

PS I do not have RSG here before me. I hope that I haven't just inserted
my foot into my mouth. Could it be that version 4.0 came out in May 1987,
& the version that I have is really 4.0a??

ajq@mace.cc.purdue.edu (John O'Malley) (07/28/88)

In article <430038@hpcea.CE.HP.COM> twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) writes:
>RSG 4.0a?????? Released in May 1988???? I never received a notice of a recent
>upgrade.
>What is the differences between vers 4.0a & 4.0?? How much is the upgrade?
>Since the version number is the same, I assume that this is a minor upgrade.
>
>TeriAnn

You're right... it's a minor upgrade.  So minor, in fact, that I got it in
the mail without asking or paying for it!  A note came with it saying
something to the effect of "Letraset's dedicated to listening to our customers
and maintaining the highest quality of software ... here's a free upgrade
that all registered users are receiving."  I haven't got the note in front
of me, but I think it said that 4.0a basically fixed bugs in 4.0.  Can
someone confirm this?

John O'Malley         \ Personal Computing       \ Purdue University \ (317)
mace.cc.purdue.edu!ajq \ Learning Resource Center \ Computing Center  \ 494-9944

simon@alberta.UUCP (Simon Tortike) (07/29/88)

In article <354@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, ajq@mace.cc.purdue.edu (John O'Malley) writes:
> In article <430038@hpcea.CE.HP.COM> twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) writes:
> >RSG 4.0a?????? Released in May 1988???? I never received a notice of a recent
> >upgrade.
> >What is the differences between vers 4.0a & 4.0?? How much is the upgrade?
> >Since the version number is the same, I assume that this is a minor upgrade.
> >
> >TeriAnn
>
> You're right... it's a minor upgrade.  So minor, in fact, that I got it in
> John O'Malley         \ Personal Computing       \ Purdue University \ (317)
> mace.cc.purdue.edu!ajq \ Learning Resource Center \ Computing Center  \ 494-9944
I received RSG 4.0a in the mail recently.  We got the addition of a
French dictionary and French hyphenation rules, with the option of mixing
languages in the document.  No mention of other changes were made.

  -------------------
Simon Tortike
Dept Min, Met &    UUCP:   ...{ubc-vision,mnetor}!alberta!simon
  Petroleum Engg   BITNET: stortike@ualtavm
Univ. of Alberta   AGT:    403/432-3338
Edmonton, AB
Canada T6G 2G6
`

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (07/30/88)

In article <354@mace.cc.purdue.edu> ajq@mace.cc.purdue.edu.UUCP (John O'Malley) writes:
>In article <430038@hpcea.CE.HP.COM> twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) writes:
>>RSG 4.0a?????? Released in May 1988???? I never received a notice of a recent
>>upgrade.
>>What is the differences between vers 4.0a & 4.0?? How much is the upgrade?
>>Since the version number is the same, I assume that this is a minor upgrade.
>>
>>TeriAnn
>
>You're right... it's a minor upgrade.  So minor, in fact, that I got it in
>the mail without asking or paying for it!  A note came with it saying
>something to the effect of "Letraset's dedicated to listening to our customers
>and maintaining the highest quality of software ... here's a free upgrade
>that all registered users are receiving."  I haven't got the note in front
>of me, but I think it said that 4.0a basically fixed bugs in 4.0.  Can
>someone confirm this?

Here's part of the "readme" file Letraset sent along with the 4.0a upgrade.
The upgrade should have been sent free to all registered users; if you didn't
get yours, give them a call.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

Why a Ready,Set,Go! 4.0a?

One reason we're sending this disk to you is that Letraset constantly works to
ensure that our software is as good as it can be, and that you have the
results of our efforts. Also, we wanted to ensure compatibility with the
released version of Apple's Multifinder System Software. Finally, we've added
a few features to the program we think you'll want to have.
By going through this document you will be able to find out what the
enhancements are, what functions have been improved, and how to install the
program.

Enhancements

We have added a few features to Ready,Set,Go! 4.0a page layout software that
should help your everyday work with the product.

Improved 200% Display

Many users asked for better legibility of small text while in the 200% view
mode. Ready,Set,Go! 4.0a software now gives that ability to you.

More Support for TIFF Formats

Ready,Set,Go! 4.0a now supports many more TIFF file formats. TIFF, or Tag
Image File Format, was developed to be a standard for saving scanned images.
Unfortunately, there are now over 47 different TIFF formats. If you are having
a problem with the way Ready,Set,Go! 4.0a brings in your TIFF image, send us a
copy of the TIFF file and we will try to include that format in a subsequent
release of the product.

New Way to Bring up an Object's Specification Sheet

Now whenever you are at the pointer level, double clicking on any object will
bring up its specification sheet.

Direct Support for RIFF file Format

Ready,Set,Go! 4.0a now directly supports the importation of ImageStudio*
files. ImageStudio software is Letraset's gray scale manipulation program,
which allows you to produce high quality, camera ready halftones by
manipulating up to 64 levels of gray.

An advantage of using RIFF files is that they typically are smaller than gray
scale TIFF files on a scale of about 3 to 1. Yet they contain all the gray
scale information necessary for high quality PostScript* printouts.
To use the new feature, just create a picture block, click the cropping tool
inside the picture block and choose Get PictureI from the File Menu.
Ready,Set,Go! 4.0a will show you all available graphic files which can be
imported, including RIFF files. There is one difference in the way that
Ready,Set,Go! 4.0a brings in RIFF files over other types of graphics files. It
will automatically scale your RIFF file so that it is the exact same size as
the image you were editing in ImageStudio. So, when you go into a RIFF
graphics Specification Sheet, you may see a scale factor other than 100 by
100. You are still free to change the scale just as you do with any other
graphic element in Ready,Set,Go! 4.0a.

Fixes

The following is a list of most of the changes that we have made to correct or
improve Ready,Set,Go! 4.0 performance.

Printing with Laser Driver 5.0

Occasional extraneous characters when using the latest Apple printer drivers,
5.0 (the ones shipped with MultiFinder)? A problem with White Type not always
printing with these print drivers? Not any more. We also fixed a problem that
sometimes caused the program to not print all pages of a multipage document.

Other Printing Changes

You should not have any problems with vertical lines not printing, or 10, 80,
and 90% gray scale fills not printing correctly. Also, documents printed from
the Finder will no longer recompose themselves.

Tab Ruler Scrolling

Tab indents will not scroll when you click on them for repositioning.

Saving Illustrator Images

If you re-edit an Illustrator EPSF file that had previously been placed in
Ready,Set,Go! 4.0a, and inadvertently save it in PostScript format, the next
time you pull up the Ready,Set,Go! 4.0a document a dialog box will appear
warning you of the error.

ASCII Tab Importation

ASCII files with tab settings will now be imported adhering to the current tab
setting. With this change it now is very easy to import documents from data
bases, spreadsheets and mainframes.

512K Styles, Glossaries and Hyphenation Spec Sheets

We have fixed a problem that sometimes caused a 512K Mac to crash when the
user tried to access the Style Sheets, Glossaries or Hyphenation Spec sheets.