[comp.sys.mac] 2 systems on 1 hard disk

felix@AI.SRI.COM (Francois Felix INGRAND) (07/28/88)

Context:

Well, considering the trouble Is have using 6.0, considering that 6.0.1 is not
out, considering that almost all the soft, I am using, which does not run on 6.0
run on 5.0, considering that I do not want to step down back to 5.0...

Question:

How can I keep 2 differents system (at least the sytem & the finder) on the same
hard disk? and be able to switch from one to another easily...

Thanks in advance.
Francois Felix INGRAND                          SRI International, AIC
                                                333, Ravenswood Avenue
felix@AI.SRI.COM                                MENLO PARK, CA 94025

dolf@uva.UUCP (Dolf Starreveld) (07/29/88)

In article <19866@sri-unix.SRI.COM> felix@AI.SRI.COM (Francois Felix INGRAND) writes:
> Context:
>
> Well, considering the trouble Is have using 6.0, considering that 6.0.1 is not
> out, considering that almost all the soft, I am using, which does not run on 6.0
> run on 5.0, considering that I do not want to step down back to 5.0...
>
> Question:
>
> How can I keep 2 differents system (at least the sytem & the finder) on the same
> hard disk? and be able to switch from one to another easily...
Use hard-disk software that allows partitioning. Place each system on a
different partition. Now, all you needs as better software that allows you
to tell it what partition to try booting from first. Currently I know of
only one software package that allows this. Bad news: It's not in the shops
(yet), but me and a friend have built it. We are currently considering
marketing plans for it, so don't start asking me where and when:
WE DO NOT YET KNOW.

By the way: This software can do much more, but I won't elaborate, sorry.

--
Dolf Starreveld  Phone: +31 20 592 5056/+31 20 592 5022, TELEX: 10262 HEF NL
EMAIL:           dolf@uva.uucp (...!mcvax!uva!dolf), or dolfs@hasara5.bitnet

dtani@bbn.com (Dan Tani) (07/29/88)

From article <515@uva.UUCP>, by dolf@uva.UUCP (Dolf Starreveld):
> In article <19866@sri-unix.SRI.COM> felix@AI.SRI.COM (Francois Felix INGRAND) writes:
>> Context:
>>
>> Well, considering the trouble Is have using 6.0, considering that 6.0.1 is not
>> out, considering that almost all the soft, I am using, which does not run on 6.0
>> run on 5.0, considering that I do not want to step down back to 5.0...
>>
>> Question:
>>
>> How can I keep 2 differents system (at least the sytem & the finder) on the same
>> hard disk? and be able to switch from one to another easily...
> Use hard-disk software that allows partitioning. Place each system on a
> different partition. Now, all you needs as better software that allows you
> to tell it what partition to try booting from first. Currently I know of
> only one software package that allows this. Bad news: It's not in the shops
> (yet), but me and a friend have built it. We are currently considering
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gee, I hope that the manual is written good.  Anyway, the HD management
program that is bundled with the LaCie drives called Silver Lining does
this partitioning and allows booting of any or all partitions.  The choice
of which partitions are loaded at boot time is made through a DA.  Silver
Lining also allows resizing of partitions, changing interleaf factor, and
HD testing among other things. Its a very nice product, as are the drives.

Hope this helps.

Dan Tani
STANI@BBN.COM

I am in no way associated with LaCie except as a satisfied customer.

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (07/30/88)

In article <19866@sri-unix.SRI.COM> felix@AI.SRI.COM (Francois Felix INGRAND) writes:
>Question:
>
>How can I keep 2 differents system (at least the sytem & the finder) on the same
>hard disk? and be able to switch from one to another easily...

A friend of mine has suggested using a hard disk partion program (Hard Disk
Partition or the Disk Partion DA in SUM) to divide it into two disks, and
place a system on either.  However, I'm not sure how you'd get it to boot up
from the partition before the partition had been mounted.

                        "Like the measles, love is most dangerous when it
                         comes late in life."
                                                -- Lord Byron
---
                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (08/01/88)

the easiest way to keep to seperate system/finders on a hard drive is to keep
two system folders.  The key to this plan is to always keep one of
system/finder pairs apart from each other.  (If I had to do this, I would keep
a folder named Finder Folder in each system folder, and would drag the finder
of the system i want to disable into that folder and then drag the finder of
the version I want to enable out of the other folder).  Until Dolf.Starrveld's
software comes out, that is about the only *safe* way to keep two systems on
one hard drive.

Which brings up an important rule of Mac Software:

Never, ever, ever, under any circumstances keep to system/finder's on a disk
without the ability to lock all but one out of the boot proces.  DON'T copy the
system folders off of commercial software packages.

Sorry about the harping on a subject that has been harped on before, but I just
fixed a system that died becuase Finder 6.0 tried to use System 4.0; not a
pretty sight.

B.Bum

| Bill Bumgarner              | EMail: wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu          |
| Carnegie-Mellon University  |                                      |
| The box is ugly on a non mono-spaced font system.                  |