[comp.sys.mac] Font trouble on Mac II

cosmos@druhi.ATT.COM (Ronald A. Guest) (07/26/88)

We are having difficulty with some of our favorite fonts since we started
using FullWrite and MacDraw II.  It is apparently linked to a lack of width
information in the FOND resource for those fonts.  For some reason, the
problem only occurs on a Mac II, and not on the SEs, even though all of the
software is identical (system release 6.0 etc.).  All machines are equipped
with Radius FPD.  Why is there a difference between the SEs and the IIs?  Is
there a workaround that anyone can suggest?
Thanks,

Ronald A. Guest, Supervisor     ...!ihnp4!druhi!cosmos
AT&T Bell Laboratories          <--- but these are my thoughts, not theirs
12110 N. Pecos St.              Denver, Colorado 80234          (303) 538-4896

cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy "Shooter" Shuster) (07/27/88)

In article <3273@druhi.ATT.COM> cosmos@druhi.ATT.COM (Ronald A. Guest) writes:

>We are having difficulty with some of our favorite fonts since we started
>using FullWrite and MacDraw II.  It is apparently linked to a lack of width
>information in the FOND resource for those fonts...

You've got it narrowed down correctly: the fractional width info is bad.
The reason it's bad is because Font/DA Mover releases prior to 3.6 didn't
move it correctly. As the insert page to the FullWrite doc indicates, the
fix is to copy the affected fonts out to another file, remove them from the
system, and then reinstall them with FDA 3.6.  There is no dependency on
hardware type (SE vs. II).

--Cy--      AT Support BBS: (213) 538-6196   300/1200 8-N-1
DISCLAIMER: My lawyer can beat up your lawyer.

cosmos@druhi.ATT.COM (Ronald A. Guest) (07/29/88)

In article <427@dbase.UUCP>, cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy "Shooter" Shuster) writes:
> fix is to copy the affected fonts out to another file, remove them from the
> system, and then reinstall them with FDA 3.6.  There is no dependency on
> hardware type (SE vs. II).
Actually, we do see a difference.  I.e. the problem does only occur on our
IIs, not the SEs.  And you leave out a step.  Since the fonts original file
has a bogus FOND resource (one that won't work right), you have to fire up
ResEdit to remove the FOND for that font.  Then you can use Font/DA moverto
install it in your system file and that will create a workable FOND for the
font.  Thanks to Marc Kaufman for this information.

Ronald A. Guest, Supervisor     ...!ihnp4!druhi!cosmos
AT&T Bell Laboratories          <--- but these are my thoughts, not theirs
12110 N. Pecos St.              Denver, Colorado 80234          (303) 538-4896

msurlich@immd1.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Matthias Urlichs - scheme) (08/01/88)

If the Fractional Widths feature is used, the Font Manager looks into
the first word of the FOND resource if there's a width table for that font.
If this word says it is, but there isn't, the character widths are taken
from some random part of memory.
This provides for some very interesting effects with some programs.

Unfortunately, since Fractional Widths is defaulted OFF, this usually
does not have any effects.

How to fix it:
Use ResEdit to open the "FOND" resource of the font which is giving you these
problems. The very first entry should read $0000.
Change that to $6000.
That's it.

This incorrect FOND resource was probably created by FONTastic. I suspect
that an older version of the Font/DA Mover also left this word at zero because
about all my ImageWriter fonts are affected by this problem.
(Well, after two days' work... now they had been affected.)

--
Matthias Urlichs     CompuServe: 72437,1357  Delphi: URLICHS
Rainwiesenweg 9      Phone: +49+911-574180