[comp.sys.mac] Hooking PC's to AppleTalk??

gw@sickkids.UUCP (CFI/Graham Wilson ) (07/28/88)

I am looking for information on products that allow me to hook AT's and XT's
into an Appletalk network.

We have about a dozen Mac's and an Apple laserwriter.  The Mac's send their
files to the laserwriter via the Appletalk network.  When I want to use the
laserwriter, I have to check that no one else is using it, turn the laserwriter
off, switch it over to the serial port, print my postscript file, and then
put the laserwriter back onto AppleTalk.

What I would like is a PC board which allow my AT (and some other PC's)
to send their postscript files to the laserwriter via AppleTalk (this would
make everyone involved most happy).  If it matters, the Mac's are all using
system 4.2 with finder 6.0.

I am sure that there are products to do this, does anyone have any names
and/or information?

Many thanks in advance.  PLEASE e-mail, do not post.  I will summarize to
both groups.

Graham Wilson         |   watmath  allegra     decvax
CyberFluor Inc        |        |      |           |
179 John St, #400     | uunet!utai!utgpu!utzoo!sickkids!gw
Toronto, Ont, M5T 1X4 |        |           |
(416) 977-5450        |  ubc-vision      linus

halff@nprdc.arpa (Henry Halff) (08/01/88)

In article <102@sickkids.UUCP> gw@sickkids.UUCP (CFI/Graham Wilson ) writes

>I am looking for information on products that allow me to hook AT's and XT's
>into an Appletalk network.
>
>What I would like is a PC board which allow my AT (and some other PC's)
>to send their postscript files to the laserwriter via AppleTalk

Your best bet is an Appletalk card called Flashcard and a software package
called NetPrint, both from Tops.  The combination lets you send Postscript
files to your laserwriter and also contains translators that make the
laserwriter emulate an Epson FX80 or an IBM proprinter.  I can't say the
solution is trouble free, but it's workable, and it's a lot better than
switching cables and reinitializing your laserwriter.

hh

walter@garth.UUCP (Walter Bays) (08/02/88)

In article <102@sickkids.UUCP> gw@sickkids.UUCP (CFI/Graham Wilson (977-5450) [RICFI7921Z]) writes:
>I am looking for information on products that allow me to hook AT's and XT's
>into an Appletalk network.

TOPS (Sun Microsystems) is the product for you.  You can share not only
printers, but also files.  It also provides text-to-Postscript
translation for PC applications which lack Postscript capability.

Problems:  PC's don't have enough memory for networking and any large
application.  Mac's stay on the network, while PC's come up on the
network, grab a file, and go back off.  PC's do have enough memory to
run applications and print simultaneously, though Ventura Publisher is
stretching it.  PC applications were not written for networking.
Postscript-capable applications assume theirs is the only machine using
the network, and re-initialize the printer accordingly.  Mac
applications (usually) are more cooperative and leave the Apple
initialization alone.  With one or more PC's on the network, printing
will be somewhat less stable than in a Mac-only network.  Occasionally
a Mac will re-initialize the printer - no problem.  Sometimes you'll
have to power the printer off and back on - still better than swapping
cables every time you print.
My opinions are my own.  Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.
E-Mail route: ...!pyramid!garth!walter		(415) 852-2384
USPS: Intergraph APD, 2400 Geng Road, Palo Alto, California 94303