[comp.sys.mac] Mac II [color] Problems

g-golub@rocky.cs.wisc.edu.CS.WISC.EDU (Joshua Golub) (08/02/88)

In article <430@dbase.UUCP> awd@dbase.UUCP (Alastair Dallas) writes:
>I don't want this to be long and whiney, but I just got my first Mac II and
>I'm having the occassional strange problem.  My monitor hasn't come yet, so
>I'm borrowing different monitors daily.  When I was using a 13" Sony color,
>I noticed that sometimes the apple in the upper left would be color and b&w
>other times--but I was always set for 256 color.  It would be a rainbow,
>I'd load an application and come back to find it black.  It's a borrowed,
>well-used video card, too, I should mention.
>/alastair/

   Ah ha, so I'm not the only one.  My Mac II also has problems when the colors
change.  I have a feeling it's PRAM related, but don't know how to find out.
   When I change the color settings when a system not on my hard disk is being
used, I almost always have problems when I re-start from my hard disk.  I've
found that if the machine is set to 256 colors when I boot off the hard disk,
everything's fine, otherwise it bombs when inits are being loaded.  I've
never heard of color sensitive bombs before!  Most recently, I had to have
a new motherboard put in (at the small cost of $322, yipes!) and, when the
machine was restarted for the first time, it bombed.  I booted with the
system tools 6.0 disk, set the monitor to 256 colors, and tried again and
all was fine.  (Well, I had to re-set everything stored in PRAM, but other
than that all was well. . .)
    So, then, has anyone else experienced color-sensitive bugs or does anyone
know what the cause may be?  I'm running lots of various inits, including
'color cursor' (which is the last init to load before it crashes. . .)

-- Bob

BTW: Re: the blinking apple, on my Mac II running system 6.0, changes between
a small 'ringing alarm clock' icon and the apple -- kind of makes it clear
what's happening, wouldn't you say?

rdsesq@Jessica.stanford.edu (Rob Snevely) (08/03/88)

I have not had any problem with colorchanges on my MACII. I do use the macII
PRAM patch(I think its on sumex.aim.stanford.edu) I also run color cursor
but it loads in the middle(after vaccine but before pram patch and siutcase)
I have had problems running colordesk cdev( it allows you to use a pict file
as you desktop) it trashed my system file when i tried to run it. I am back
to using "deskpict" cdev with out many problems except it crashes if I run
giffer. I would try the MACII pram patch and see if that helps.

If anybody as any thoughts why ColorDesk trashed my system file I would
appreciate them. I think it might be suitcase but I can't prove it.

You can reach me via the net or mail to me at

rdsesq@jessica.stanford.edu
or bitnet
rdsesq%jessica.stanford.edu@STANFORD

thanx