[comp.sys.mac] moire bugs and fixes

castan@munnari.oz (Jason Castan) (08/01/88)

Several people have complained that macwrite does not print properly with
moire running. I will fix it in the next version. The problem from my end
is that i live in an laserwriter/word environment and we have never sufferd
these problems. Moire works perfectly on a laserwriter, which suggests that
the problem is in the imagewriter /macwrite code. Nevertheless, i suppose
i have to do fix this as so many people use  macwrite. I will either disable
moire when imagewriter printing occurs in macwrite, or maybe if i'm lucky
i'll find a workaround.

There are many programs out there that handle events/windows in a non-standard
fashion. These are not bugs, but it makes writing neat backgrounding utilities
much more difficult. Works, Excel, Word, and Illustrator are the most memorable
examples. Not fun tracing through such programs to find out why moire wasnt
working...of course all these problems have been fixed.

Hopefully I should be able to iron this *last* bug out before my birthday (in
10 days time).
	john lim
	author of Moire
ps : i heard from a friend that there was a rave review of moire in macweek.
thanks dave for the good news.

engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Adam C. Engst) (08/03/88)

In article <2265@munnari.oz> you write:

>Several people have complained that macwrite does not print properly with
>moire running. I will fix it in the next version. The problem from my end
>is that i live in an laserwriter/word environment and we have never sufferd
>these problems. Moire works perfectly on a laserwriter, which suggests that
>the problem is in the imagewriter /macwrite code. Nevertheless, i suppose
>i have to do fix this as so many people use  macwrite. I will either disable
>moire when imagewriter printing occurs in macwrite, or maybe if i'm lucky
>i'll find a workaround.
>
>There are many programs out there that handle events/windows in a non-standard
>fashion. These are not bugs, but it makes writing neat backgrounding utilities
>much more difficult. Works, Excel, Word, and Illustrator are the most memorable
>examples. Not fun tracing through such programs to find out why moire wasnt
>working...of course all these problems have been fixed.
>
>Hopefully I should be able to iron this *last* bug out before my birthday (in
>10 days time).
>	john lim
>	author of Moire
>ps : i heard from a friend that there was a rave review of moire in macweek.
>thanks dave for the good news.

   I personally avoid Macwrite like the plague, but I have had many problems
using Moire (the earlier version admittedly) with Pagemaker 2.0a, or rather,
with AldusPrep for 2.0a.  What happened is that if I was printing a large or
complex (scanned graphics and a fair amount of placed text) document and
Moire kicked in, the laser wouldn't print certain parts of the document
(usually the scanned graphics).  Occassionally unpredictable results would
occur even if Moire didn't kick in but was resident; however, I couldn't find
a pattern to that.  If I switched the Apple driver in favor of AldusPrep, the
problem went away (but the print wasn't as nice).  I ended up having to
delete Moire since it caused so much hassle with my Pagemaker documents.
Actually the other reason was because as the end of the semester came around
people started watching Moire more than they worked on the Mac and we needed
to get a certain amount of stuff done.

   In general, though Moire is a really nice program and I will definitely
use it at home where I don't have a laser printer and thus don't care about
AldusPrep being happy.  The other possibility is that Pagemaker 3.0 and the
newer version of Moire won't fight any more.

                            Adam

--
Adam C. Engst					engst@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
             					pv9y@cornella.bitnet

dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (08/04/88)

In article <5753@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> engst@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Adam C. Engst) writes:
>   In general, though Moire is a really nice program and I will definitely
>use it at home where I don't have a laser printer and thus don't care about
>AldusPrep being happy.  The other possibility is that Pagemaker 3.0 and the
>newer version of Moire won't fight any more.

I use Moire in conjunction with PageMaker 3.0.  I have experienced no
problems.

Internet: dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 333-3339