[comp.sys.mac] appleshare hassle question

rdsesq@Jessica.stanford.edu (Rob Snevely) (08/04/88)

Have the owner of the folder change ownership of the folder to who ever
owns the drop folder. Since no new folder has been created the current owner
has access to all privs and must change the access info.

If somebody knows of a better solution please let me know.

thanx

rob snevely

rdsesq@jessica.stanford.edu	(BILL and OPUS in '88)

april@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (April J. Weisman) (08/04/88)

In article <650@tasis.utas.oz> luke@tasis.utas.oz (Luke Visser) writes:
>Any suggestions as to why someone retains ownership of a folder when
>placed into a drop folder?
>
>The situation is this: a user takes a folder from one his own floppies
>and places it into a drop folder on the server.  This should then mean
>that those with access to the drop folder can read it.  It doesn't,
>occassionally the user retains ownership of that folder.  It is extremely
>annoying as we need to backtrack the folders to root so that the user can
>get to and change ownership of that folder.

That has happened several times here at Dartmouth when students have used
dropofff folders to turn in homework on the public file server.  The reason
for all the problems was that some of the students were using MFS disks, and
when they dropped off their homework from an MFS disk, it messed up the
access permissions on the folder.  Try asking people to use only HFS when
they are dropping off materials and the problem should go away.

>Luke Visser

-April

April J. Weisman     |"The big picture: 12 credits.|april@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
HB 390 Dartmouth Clg |It's very big.  12 credits   |{decvax ihnp4 harvard}...
Hanover NH, 03755    |probably isn't enough, it's  |   ...!dartvax!eleazar!april
 603-643-7727        |so big!" -Dr.Wolper, Creator |Disclaimer: Opinion?  Me?