[comp.sys.mac] HELP!!! --- Transparency Management

yvo@cs.utexas.edu (Yvonne van Olphen) (08/04/88)

I am about to embark on a major project of creating three
sets of (200 plus each set) transparencies.  I now have to
decide what program to use to create and manage them.  The
choices I know of are MacDraw (or some other Macintosh drawing
program such as Cricket Draw) and LaTeX (with TeXtures).
I would much rather use a Macintosh program than LaTeX, for ease
of use and choice of fonts.

It is imperative that I be able to manage these transparencies
with the minimum of difficulty!  One of the important features
I need is ability to link transparencies from one set to another
set, since many of the transparencies are duplicated from one set
to the next.  Or at least I need some easy means of knowing which
transparencies are duplicated in other sets.  I also need capabilities
such as stamping the "last revised" date on the transparency, page
numbering, headers/footers, etc.  Is there a program available for
the Macintosh that will "manage" transparencies?  I've heard vaguely
of a program called "Cricket Presents."  Does anyone have any comments
or suggestions for me?

Please send me e-mail at yvo@cs.utexas.edu (CSNET)---I don't get
much of an opportunity to keep up with the volume of postings
in this group.

	---Yvonne

royer@savax.UUCP (tom royer) (08/04/88)

In article <3087@cs.utexas.edu>, yvo@cs.utexas.edu (Yvonne van Olphen) writes:
> I am about to embark on a major project of creating three
> sets of (200 plus each set) transparencies.  I now have to
> decide what program to use to create and manage them.  The
.
.
.
> the Macintosh that will "manage" transparencies?  I've heard vaguely
> of a program called "Cricket Presents."  Does anyone have any comments
> or suggestions for me?
>
> Please send me e-mail at yvo@cs.utexas.edu (CSNET)---I don't get
> much of an opportunity to keep up with the volume of postings
> in this group.
>
> 	---Yvonne

I don't know much about ``Cricket Presents'', but do know a lot about
Microsoft's PowerPoint -- I just received version 2.0 last week.

PowerPoint interfaces with a variety of drawing programs (for importing)
plus providing adequate drawing capabilities of its own.  It has text
processing which is more than adequate for transparancies.

Strongest points, though, are in slide management:
     - Provides template capability so that fixed background (borders,
       logos, dates, page numbers, etc.) are handled automatically.
     - Provides a ``slide sorter'' which allows presentation rearrangement
       by dragging slide images around using the mouse
     - Now supports color (even if you have a monochrome screen)
     - Allow several presentations to be open at once so that images can be
       copied from one to another
     - Can operate in 35mm or overhead formats (the aspect ratios are a bit
       different
     - Outputs to imagewriter, laserwriter, and (in a soon to be delivered
       revision -- I hope), the Gennigraphic 35mm film processor
     - Produces slide images, speakers notes (reduced version of the slide
       image with supportive text below it), and audience hardcopy (two,
       three, or six slide images per page)

I have been using it for about six months and am a completely satisfied
user.  (p.s.  I have no stake in Microsoft -- don't even like the company
very much -- but am a very satisifed user of PowerPoint).

--
Tom Royer              Sanders Associates, A Lockheed Company
                       MER24-1283, CS2034          (603)-885-9171