[comp.sys.mac] MacOS partitions and disks accessed from A/UX - how?

meldal@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Sigurd Meldal) (07/28/88)

I have just received a MacII with A/UX. I was under the impression
that I would be able to launch MacOS applications under A/UX (if they
were civilized enough), and access/copy MacOS files from one file
system to another. In particular, this would be useful when the Mac is
connected to an ethernet, and running NFS, making backups so much
easier (just tar MacOS files to tape).

However, when I run A/UX it does not seem to recognize my MacOS disks
and partitions. The former I can understand - my Jasmine is pre-A/UX
and probably does not have the right drivers, but the latter mystifies
me. At least I would expect to be able to access the MacOS partition
of the A/UX distribution disk. No such luck so far.

Any pointers, help, etc?

Sigurd Meldal

Hard mail:
	ERL 456		     | Arpa:  meldal@shasta.stanford.edu
        Computer Systems Lab.|	      	    @anna.stanford.edu
	Stanford University  | BitNet: meldal%anna.stanford.edu@forsythe.bitnet
	Stanford CA 94305    | Uucp: ...decwrl!glacier!shasta!meldal
	USA		     |

phone: +1 415 723 6027

oberst@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Daniel J. Oberst) (08/04/88)

"Easiest" way to get MacOS files to A/UX is to use the CAP/AUFS server
and "drag" your MacOS application up to a unix host.  From there you
can use ftp or NFS to give the A/UX system access to them.  The rcnvt
command an ln command convert the files into binary executables.
See the man pages on rcnvt and ln for details.

verber@apatosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) (08/05/88)

In article <3001@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU> meldal@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Sigurd Meldal) writes:
>I have just received a MacII with A/UX. I was under the impression
>that I would be able to launch MacOS applications under A/UX (if they
>were civilized enough),

The launch program found in /usr/toolboxbin does this.  See launch(1)
for more complete info.

> and access/copy MacOS files from one file system to another. In
> particular, this would be useful when the Mac is connected to an
> ethernet, and running NFS, making backups so much easier (just tar
> MacOS files to tape).

A/UX doesn't currently support mounting macintosh files systems.  It
wouldn't be that diffucult to do, but it isn't in A/UX yet.  The two
things of a simular nature that you can do are: 1 - mfs program to
read mfs (i.e. flat file system) floppies.  2 - a package from
starnine which permits you to transfer files between A/UX and MacOS
partissions.  The starnine product is very cool.  The user interface
looks somewhat like the font/Da mover.

Mark A. Verber				MaBell:          614-292-7344
Computer Science Department		MX: verber@cis.ohio-state.edu
Ohio State University			DUMB:  verber@ohio-state.arpa
2036 Neil Ave, Columbus, Ohio 43210	UUCP:   ..!att!osu-cis!verber