[comp.sys.mac] Summary: Instruction Cashe Questions

ray@mfgfoc.UUCP (Ray Lillard) (08/04/88)

A few weeks ago I posted a request for information regarding
disabling of the instruction cashe on the Mac-II.  I had heard
the reason MacWrite and many other publicly distributed
programs didn't run was related to the instruction cashe of
the 68020.  A summary of the two responses follows:

barrys@apple.com   (Barry J. Semo of Apple Computer, Inc.) writes:
> Hi.  I'm afraid there is little you can do to get public domain
> programs to work on a Macintosh II that don't already.
	(comments on lack of testing and rule following by
	commercial and non-commercial developers alike omitted)
> Some programs, especially that use self modifying code, will
> benefit from turning the instruction cache off.  There is a
> public domain Control Panel device called ToggleCache that
> does this.

My thanks to the above gentleman,

--
Raymond Y. Lillard                    FOCUS Semiconductor Systems Inc.
net: (sun!daver!mfgfoc!ray)           570 Maude Court

mkao@crash.cts.com (Mike Kao) (08/05/88)

I have a CDEV that toggles the 68020 instruction cache. Good and peachy. Now
I'd like to know what an instruction cache is and what it does. Thanks!

--

To insure my reception of any replies, please respond via e-mail. Thanks!

                                                                  -- Mike Kao

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!mkao
ARPA: crash!pnet01!mkao@nosc.mil
INET: mkao@pnet01.CTS.COM